手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > Emma的美味英语 > 正文

第68期:和动物有关的习语(1)

来源:可可英语 编辑:Melody   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Well, hey there, I'm Emma from mmmEnglish!

大家好,我是Emma,欢迎来到Emma的美味英语!

Now it's been a while since I've made you an idioms lesson and since so many of you have been asking for help with idioms lately,

距离上次给大家准备的习语课程已经过了很久了,最近很多人都在寻求关于习语方面的一些帮助,

I thought we'd better get to it!

我觉得我们最好还是录制一节课程吧!

There are just so many English idioms.

英文中有很多习语。

Do you remember what they are?

你还记得它们是什么吗?

They're phrases, whose meaning is different to the individual meaning of each of the words in the phrase.

习语是一些短语,它们整体的意思和短语中每个单词单独的意思并不相同。

They're a really tricky part of learning English.

习语是学英语过程中非常困难的一部分。

There's lots of them, thousands!

而且有很多很多的习语,成千上万个!

And some idioms are more commonly used in some countries but not in others

有些习语在某些国家特别常用,但是在其他国家则很生僻,

which is a little bit frustrating when you're trying to learn them, right?

正在学习习语的你们感到有点点沮丧,是吧?

Which ones are the ones that everyone uses?

哪些习语是大家都会用的呢?

There are some idioms that my American friends use that I'm like, 'What? '

有一些习语对我的美国朋友而言很常见,而我觉得这都是些什么啊,

and ones that I use that go straight over their head as well.

而我用的一些习语他们也完全摸不着头脑。

That's an idiom right there!

这里有一个习语!

Native English speakers use them a lot.

英语母语者的习语使用非常频繁。

They pop up in spoken English when it's really difficult to, you know, fully understand them or stop the conversation and ask about the meaning of how it's used.

他们常常在讲英语时脱口而出,但这些习语太难理解了,我们也很难打断对话,去询问它们到底是什么意思。

You're just sort of left wondering 'Why is he talking about an elephant? '

你在一旁想“他为什么要说大象呢?”

One little hint with idioms is that there are probably some English idioms that are similar to the ones that you have in your own language like 'crows feet'.

关于习语的一个小提示就是,英语当中有一些习语可能和你的母语当中的习语很像,比如说“乌鸦爪纹”。

Crows feet are the wrinkles that people get here caused by a lifetime of laughing and smiles or maybe too much squinting in the sun.

“乌鸦爪纹”是因为经常笑或者是在太阳下眯眼睛长出的皱纹。

But in English they're called crows feet.

但是在英文当中,它们被称为“乌鸦爪纹”。

But these same wrinkles might have a similar idiom as their name in your language.

但是这些皱纹可能在你们的语言中拥有相似的习语表达。

So if you do have some sort of idiom for these wrinkles here, I want you to add it to the comments right now

所以如果你的语言中确实有一些关于这些皱纹的习语,希望大家可以现在写在下方的评论处,

because I've heard a few of them before but I'm curious to see just how many we can collect.

因为我之前听说过一些,但是我很好奇,想要看看到底能够收集多少。

They're 'crows feet' in English.

它们在英文中被称为“乌鸦爪纹”。

They kind of look like a crows foot.

它们看起来有点像乌鸦爪。

Now you may have seen some of my other idioms lessons,

你可能已经看过了我的其他习语课程,

I've made quite a few but you can find all of them right here on my idioms playlist.

我其实出了好几期视频了,你可以在我的习语列表中找到它们。

I'll also link to it at the end of this lesson just in case you want to keep practising a little bit more with me later on.

我也在本节课程的结尾放上了链接,以防大家想要继续进行练习。

But there's business idioms, weather idioms, food idioms, holiday idioms, body idioms.

还有商业习语、天气习语、食物习语、假日习语和身体习语。

They're all there!

都在这里,任君选择!

Now even though you probably feel like idioms make a conversation confusing,

即便是你可能觉得习语会让对话变得复杂难懂,

they're also really fun and they're a great creative way to express yourself.

它们其实真的特别有意思,而且是表达自我的非常有创造力的方式。

They really show off your English talents

它们可以展示你的英文能力,

like in a speaking exam for IELTS or TOEFL, using an idiom correctly is quite impressive.

比如说在像雅思或者托福这种口语考试中,正确使用习语能给人留下非常深刻的印象。

And before we get started, make sure you subscribe to the channel

在我们正式开始之前,记住一定要订阅我的频道哦,

just by clicking that red button down there so that you can keep up-to-date with what's happening!

点击下面的红色按钮就可以,这样你就可以持续了解最近的状况!

So we're going to learn a few today.

我们今天要学习一些习语。

We're going to go over some common animal idioms, starting with this one.

我们会学一些常见的动物习语,从这个开始。

'It's raining cats and dogs'

“瓢泼大雨”

Now 'it's raining cats and dogs' doesn't mean that cats and dogs are falling out of the sky.

“瓢泼大雨”的意思并不是猫猫狗狗从天上掉下来。

It means that it's raining and it doesn't just mean raining, it means raining really hard.

它的意思是天正在下雨,而且不仅仅是下雨,而且是下的非常非常大。

images.jpg

It's heavy rain.

是大暴雨。

I think we'll have to cancel the bike ride, it's raining cats and dogs out there!

我觉得我们得取消骑自行车了,外面下起了瓢泼大雨。

It's really rainy!

是真的下得很大!

Now to be totally honest, I don't really use this idiom that much but I come across it all the time in books.

讲真,我一般不怎么使用这个习语,但是我经常在看书的时候会碰见它。

So I wanted to include it here for you.

所以我想把它讲给你们听。

Usually I would say "It's bucketing down" if it's raining really hard

如果雨真的下的很大的话,我通常会说“大雨倾盆”,

but if it's raining cats and dogs, it's probably best to stay inside.

但是如果说“瓢泼大雨”的话,可能最好还是待在室内。

Now speaking of cats, who let the cat out of the bag?

说到猫咪呢,谁泄露了秘密呢?

This idiom is used to talk about revealing a secret.

这个习语说的是揭露一个秘密。

Now just imagine your sister told you that she was flying home to surprise your mum for her birthday.

想象一下你的姐姐告诉你她要飞回家给你的母亲一个生日惊喜。

It's a secret, right?

这是个秘密,对吧?

You can't tell your mum because it wouldn't be a surprise.

你不能告诉你的妈妈,因为讲出来就不是惊喜了。

If you did, you would let the cat out of the bag.

如果你告诉了她的话,你就泄露秘密了。

Your sister might say "Please don't tell Dad. He'll definitely let the cat out of the bag."

你的姐姐可能说“不要告诉爸爸。他肯定会泄露秘密的。

The secret will be ruined because dad can't keep a secret and the party wouldn't be a surprise anymore, would it?

”这个秘密会被破坏的,因为爸爸不能保守秘密,这个派对就再也成不了惊喜了,对吧?

You can also ask the question: Who let the cat out of the bag? Who told the secret?

你可以问这个问题:谁说出了这个秘密?

Or you can apologise, you can say: Oops. I may have just let the cat out of the bag. I may have spoiled the surprise.

或者是你可以道歉:我可能已经透露了这个惊喜。

Now I want to ask you, have you got an addiction to something?

现在我想问一下大家,你有对什么东西上瘾吗?

For me, it's coffee. I've got a coffee addiction.

我呢,是咖啡。我对咖啡上瘾。

I can't possibly give it up!

我根本不能放弃喝咖啡!

Well, the only way that I could do it is if I just went cold turkey.

好的,如果我能完全放弃的话,我就再也不会喝了。

Now this one doesn't make much sense.

但是这个句子并没有什么意义。

Picturing a turkey who's really, really cold won't help you at all.

想象一只非常非常冷的火鸡并没有什么用。

But if you go cold turkey it means that you stop doing something completely, a hundred per cent.

但是如果你“完全放弃某件事的话”,它的意思是彻彻底底、百分之百地不再做某件事情。

And we usually use it to talk about quitting addictions like smoking, coffee, drinking, even social media addictions.

我们通常会用它来描述戒掉成瘾的情况,比如说吸烟、喝咖啡、酗酒,甚至是社交媒体成瘾。

We all know someone who's addicted to their phone, right?

我们都知道很多人手机成瘾,对吧?或者可能就是你!

Or maybe you are! Maybe you're addicted to your phone.

可能你就对手机成瘾。

Maybe you can't put it down.

可能你根本放不下手机。

If you are, maybe you should think about going cold turkey for a while.

如果你是的话,可能你应该想想暂时戒掉吧。

So you'd delete Facebook, delete Twitter, delete Instagram, Whatsapp, everything, all forms of social media!

所以如果你需要卸载脸书,卸载推特,卸载ins,Whatsapp,一切的一切,所有的社交媒体!

It has to be everything otherwise it's not cold turkey.

比如得是所有的一切,否则就不算是完全戒掉。

'Cold turkey' means a hundred per cent. Absolutely no.

“冷火鸡”的意思是百分之百。完全没有。

Now you can use two verbs with cold turkey.

现在你可以使用后面加“百分之百”的两个动词。

You can either say "go cold turkey" or you can "quit cold turkey" though that's a little more American, American English.

你既可以说“完全戒掉”,也可以说“完全放弃”,不过这个更加美式一点,美式英语。

So I'm curious, have you ever quit anything cold turkey before and completely stopped doing it?

所以我很好奇,你之前是否完全放弃过某件事情,完全不再做了?

Tell me in the comments.

在评论中告诉我吧。

Usually, it's not so easy to go cold turkey.

通常来说,完全放弃并不容易。

What do you think?

你觉得呢?

重点单词   查看全部解释    
conversation [.kɔnvə'seiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 会话,谈话

联想记忆
hint [hint]

想一想再看

n. 暗示
v. 暗示,示意

 
channel ['tʃænl]

想一想再看

n. 通道,频道,(消息)渠道,海峡,方法
v

联想记忆
creative [kri'eitiv]

想一想再看

adj. 创造性的

联想记忆
collect [kə'lekt]

想一想再看

v. 收集,聚集
v. 推论

联想记忆
absolutely ['æbsəlu:tli]

想一想再看

adv. 绝对地,完全地;独立地

 
curious ['kjuəriəs]

想一想再看

adj. 好奇的,奇特的

联想记忆
understand [.ʌndə'stænd]

想一想再看

vt. 理解,懂,听说,获悉,将 ... 理解为,认为<

 
confusing [kən'fju:ziŋ]

想一想再看

adj. 使人困惑的,令人费解的 动词confuse的现

 
turkey ['tə:ki]

想一想再看

n. 土耳其
turkey
n. 火

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。