手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > Emma的美味英语 > 正文

第69期:和动物有关的习语(2)

来源:可可英语 编辑:Melody   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Okay for the next idiom I want you to think of someone that you know who's very kind and gentle.

好的,下一个习语,我想让大家想一个你熟悉的人,他非常善良,非常温柔。

Well, you can describe them by saying they wouldn't hurt a fly.

好的,你可以用“心地善良”来描述他们。

Flies and mosquitoes are pretty annoying, aren't they?

苍蝇和蚊子非常讨厌,对吧?

Especially here in Australia!

尤其是在澳大利亚!

So someone who wouldn't hurt a fly must be so patient and kind, right?

所以那些不会伤害苍蝇的人肯定非常有耐心,也很善良,对吧?

So this is a really positive, affectionate idiom and it's used to describe a person.

所以这是个非常积极有爱心的习语,是用来描述一个人的。

So you can also use this expression to reassure someone.

你还可以使用这个表达来消除对某个人的担忧。

If they're worried about trusting someone, you might say to them "Don't worry, Steve wouldn't even hurt a fly!

如果他们不太相信某个人的话,你可以和他们说“别担心,史蒂夫特别特别善良!

He's the nicest guy that you'll ever meet!"

他会是你们见过的最最好的人!”

All right, I think it's really time we talk about the elephant in the room.

好的,我猜该到时间讨论“房间里的大象”了。

Have you ever heard of this idiom?

你听说过这个习语吗?

The elephant in the room is the thing that nobody wants to talk about.

“房间里的大象”指的是大家都不愿意讨论的事情。

So it's quite specific, the way you use this idiom.

所以你使用这个习语的方式非常特殊。

It's when people are talking normally but they're all deliberately not talking about a particular issue but this issue is a big one.

是用在当人们在正常说话,但是他们都很刻意地不讨论某个特定的话题,但是这个话题非常重要。

It's like a big, huge elephant sitting in the middle of the room that is really obvious and it's impossible not to look at and you can see it, right?

就像一个巨大的大象待在房间中央,非常非常明显,不看它根本不可能,对吧?

But nobody's talking about it.

但是没有人在谈论它。

The issue is something really obvious but everyone's ignoring it, right?

这个话题非常非常明显,但是所有人都忽视它,对吧?

Or they're trying to avoid it probably because it's an uncomfortable topic or a difficult situation.

或者是他们是故意避开这个话题,可能是因为这个话题谈起来让人不太自在,或者是这种情况很困难。

We really need to deal with the elephant in the room. None of us have been paid in over a month!

我们真的要直面问题了,我们都一个多月没发工资了!

No one wants to talk about this, right?

没有人想要说这件事,对吧?

Talking about money can be a little bit awkward, especially with your boss.

谈钱可能有点点尴尬,尤其是和你的老板谈钱。

This is a bad situation!

这是个很不好的情境!

Why is no one in the room talking about it?

为什么房间里没有人谈论它?

It's definitely what everyone's been thinking about.

可能每个人都谈论过它了。

Why haven't I been paid?

为什么我还没拿到薪水?

It's the elephant in the room.

这个问题很明显啊。

We need to deal with this big issue, right?

我们需要解决这个重要议题,对吧?

This one is one of my favourite idioms.

这是我最喜欢的习语之一。

It's one that I use a lot.

我也经常使用这个习语。

When you have butterflies in your stomach, it's when you feel kind of nervous.

当你“肚子里有蝴蝶”的时候,就是你感觉紧张的时候。

Do you know this feeling?

你知道这种感觉吗?

It's that feeling in your stomach right before you walk on stage to speak in front of a hundred people and present your research.

这是你上台在一百个人演讲,展示你的研究之前的那种感觉。

It feels like you literally have butterflies flying around inside your belly, right?

感觉真的肚子里有蝴蝶在到处飞,对吧?

Now think of anything that makes you feel so nervous that your tummy starts to feel a little funny.

想象一下会让你紧张的事情,你的肚子开始感觉有点点怪怪的。

This can be described as butterflies in your stomach, right?

这可以用“心里七上八下”来形容,对吧?

You can use it to describe good nervous feelings or bad nervous feelings.

你可以用它来描述积极的紧张感或者是消极的紧张感。

I'm so scared to speak on stage. I've got butterflies in my stomach!

我好害怕上台啊。感觉心里七上八下的。

When was the last time you had butterflies in your stomach?

你上次紧张是什么时候了?

Do you know this feeling?

你知道这种感觉吗?

Tell me about what makes you nervous and when you had this feeling.

告诉我你对什么感到紧张,以及你什么时候有这个感觉的吧。

For me, if I see police lights in the rear-vision mirror in my car when I'm driving, I instantly get butterflies in my belly even if I've done nothing wrong!

对我而言呢,如果我开车的时候,在车的后视镜里看到了警灯的话,我立刻就会感觉非常紧张,即便我什么都没有做错!

You can say 'stomach' or 'belly' here.

你可以说“胃”或者“肚子”都可以。

images (1).jpg

'Belly' is just a little more informal, it's an informal way to say 'stomach'.

“肚子”有一点点不太正式,这是“胃”的非正式表达方式。

Now you might also hear people just say "I've got butterflies" and they're talking about this same idiom

你可能也听到有人说“我有蝴蝶”,他们说的也是同一个习语,

unless that person has a jar of butterflies with them in their pocket, then they might be saying it and literally mean it

除非那个人真的有一罐子蝴蝶,装在自己的兜里的话,那他们可能真的在说它的字面意义,

but that's unlikely, right?

但是那是不可能的,对吧?

So here's the next idiom: 'a fish out of water'.

这是下一个习语:“离开水的鱼”。

Now if you see someone who is uncomfortable in a specific situation like your grandma, if she walked into a nightclub.

如果你看到某个人在某个特定的情况下感觉不舒服的话,比如说你的祖母,如果她走进夜总会的话。

Then they look like a fish out of water.

他们会觉得非常不自然。

She would feel like a fish out of water, really uncomfortable, right?

她也会感觉非常不自在,非常不舒服,对吧?

She would feel completely awkward in a nightclub unless you've got a super cool granny.

她在夜总会里面会觉得非常的尴尬,除非你的奶奶非常非常酷。

I was really excited on the first day of my internship, but when I arrived I felt like a fish out of water.

我对实习第一天超级期待,但是当我到了的时候感觉特别不自在。

Or maybe when you get invited to a party but everyone is a native English speaker, you might feel a little like a fish out of water there.

或者可能当你受邀参加派对,但是每个人都是英语母语者,你可能感觉有点不太自在。

Okay, we've got time for one more idiom.

好的,我们有时间再多学习一个习语。

'to open a can of worms'

“搞得一团糟”

Imagine a can full of worms.

想象满满一整罐的虫子。

It's full of long, wriggling, squirming worms that are all twisted together.

全都是长长的、蠕动的、扭曲的虫子,在一起动来动去。

So when you open that can of worms, you're going to have a big mess.

当你打开那个罐子的时候,你的麻烦就来了。

They're going to go everywhere!

它们会跑的到处都是!

It's probably going to be really difficult to clean up and try and catch them all, right?

可能非常难以清理,也很难把它们全都抓住,对吧?

You'll have a lot more problems than when you started.

你可能比你开始的时候遇到更多更多的问题。

It's easier when they're in the can but if you open it there's going to be problems.

当它们在罐子里的时候可能会更加容易一点,但是如果你打开的话,就会出现大问题。

Or "Let's not talk about raising prices, we just going to open a can of worms."

或者是“我们先不要讨论涨价的事情了吧,会把事情搞得一团糟。

So if you don't want to create a tricky situation, then don't open the can of worms, right?

”如果你不想把情况搞得这么复杂的话,就不要打开那罐虫子,对吧?

It's simple!

很简单!

So those are some of the common animal idioms that I tend to use quite often but there are more.

以上就是常见的动物习语了,我经常使用它们,但是还有更多的习语。

Do you know any other ones in English?

你知道其他的英语习语吗?

Or can you share the meaning of any animal idioms in your own language?

或者是你能分享一些你母语中关于动物的习语吗?

Perhaps there are some similar ones in English and we can chat about them in the comments.

可能在英语中有一些相似的习语,我们可以在评论中进行讨论。

And make sure you try and use some of the new idioms that you've learnt in this lesson below in the comments.

记住要试一下哦,在评论中使用一下你在本节课程中学习的一些新习语。

I'll try and give you some feedback and help you to make sure you're using them correctly.

我会试着给你一些反馈,帮助大家确保你们的使用方式是正确的。

Thanks for joining me here again at the mmmEnglish channel.

再次感谢大家观看Emma的美味英语课程。

Make sure you subscribe if you haven't already

如果你还没有订阅的话,一定要订阅,

and right now we're going to check out a few more videos about idioms, right here.

现在我们要观看更多关于习语的视频,就在这里。

Let's go!

去看看吧!

重点单词   查看全部解释    
jar [dʒɑ:]

想一想再看

n. 不和谐,刺耳声,震动,震惊,广口瓶
vi

联想记忆
check [tʃek]

想一想再看

n. 检查,支票,账单,制止,阻止物,检验标准,方格图案

联想记忆
haven ['heivn]

想一想再看

n. 港口,避难所,安息所 v. 安置 ... 于港中,

联想记忆
awkward ['ɔ:kwəd]

想一想再看

adj. 笨拙的,尴尬的,(设计)别扭的

 
reassure [ri:ə'ʃuə]

想一想再看

v. 使 ... 安心,再保证,重拾(信心等)

联想记忆
affectionate [ə'fekʃənit]

想一想再看

adj. 情深的,充满情爱的

联想记忆
issue ['iʃju:]

想一想再看

n. 发行物,期刊号,争论点
vi. & vt

 
unlikely [ʌn'laikli]

想一想再看

adj. 不太可能的

 
describe [dis'kraib]

想一想再看

vt. 描述,画(尤指几何图形),说成

联想记忆
deliberately [di'libəritli]

想一想再看

adv. 慎重地,故意地

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。