手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 跟我学跟我做 > 正文

如何训练身体抵御严寒和酷暑(1)

来源:可可英语 编辑:sara   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

We've all been there, one moment you're lying in bed comfortably wrapped up in a cocoon of blankets, blissfully warm and peaceful.

我们都曾有过这种经历,有一刻你躺在床上舒适地裹在被子里,感觉幸福、温暖又平和。

Then the next your alarm is going off and before you know it you're trudging through another cold winter morning

接下来闹钟响了,在意识到这一点之前,你艰难地走在另一个寒冷的冬日早晨,

to go work eight hours at a job you hate,

工作八小时干一份你讨厌的工作,

trying not to think about the fact that you'll be repeating this routine tomorrow, and every day after that.

试着不去想明天以及之后的每一天,你都会这样重复。

Until you die.

直到你死去。

Or maybe you're stuck in the dog days of summer, in the midst of another record-breaking heat wave because global warming is definitely not real,

又或者你被困在夏天的三伏天,在另一个破纪录的热浪中,

and panting desperately trying to fan yourself and find some relief.

你拼命地喘着气试图给自己扇风,获得一些解脱。

Truth is, most people would rather live our lives in a comfortably room-temperature world of seventy degrees Fahrenheit,

事实是,大多数人更喜欢生活在华氏70度的舒适室温环境中,

but our reality routinely puts up against the bitter elements, extreme cold or extreme heat.

但我们的日常生活却要经常忍受严寒或酷热的严酷环境。

If you live somewhere insane like Australia, you get both- plus every animal there can kill you, in both hot and cold.

如果你住在澳大利亚这种地方,你要经历这两件事——而且那里每一种动物都能杀死你,无论是热天还是冷天。

But what if you could train yourself to resist the effects of extreme temperatures?

但是如果你能训练自己抵抗极端温度的影响呢?

We've all read about modern supermen, with the power to withstand extreme heat or extreme cold

我们都读过关于现代超人的书,他们有能力抵御酷热或严寒,

and do things that would seem like they'd kill just about any other person alive.

做一些看起来会杀死其他人的事情。

What about you though, the average Joe?

你呢,乔?

Could you realistically train your body to survive extreme cold?

你真能训练身体抵御严寒吗?

Wim Hof is a dutch man known as an extremeophile, and has earned the nickname "The Iceman".

维姆·霍夫是一个被称为极端境况嗜好者的荷兰人,他赢得了“冰人”的绰号。

In fact you've probably seen him featured already on our show.

事实上,你可能已经在我们的节目中看到过他。

Since he was a teenager Hof has been routinely subjecting himself to extreme cold,

霍夫从十几岁起,就习惯性地让自己处于极度寒冷之中,

and he's learned not only to love it, but thrive in it.

他不仅学会了热爱寒冷,而且学会了在寒冷中茁壮成长。

He's completed several marathons completely barefoot in the Arctic Circle,

他已经在北极圈完成了几次赤脚马拉松,

once spent over an hour swimming under ice, and has hiked almost the entire height of Mount Everest wearing only shorts.

曾经在冰下游泳超过一个小时,并且在只穿短裤的情况下几乎攀登了珠穆朗玛峰。

Yet Hof is definitely not immune to the effects of the cold,

然而,霍夫绝对不是不会免受寒冷的影响。

as a matter of fact during his first attempt to set a record for swimming under ice,

事实上,在他第一次尝试创造冰下游泳纪录时,

he had to be rescued by a diver after his cornea began to freeze.

他的角膜开始结冰,他不得不被潜水员救出。

Yes, you heard that correctly- corneas can apparently freeze, and all that did was slow Hof down.

是的,你没听错,眼角膜会冻结,那只会减缓霍夫的速度。

He beat the record the very next day.

他第二天打破了记录。

So then how does he do these incredible feats?

那么他是怎么做到这些不可思议的壮举的呢?

Hof is well known, and often criticized, for marketing what he terms the Wim Hof method.

霍夫受人们所熟知,也经常遭人奚落,因为他推行维姆·霍夫方法。

While reviews are mixed, the method is fairly simple and consists of engaging in regular meditation and elaborate breathing exercises.

虽然评论褒贬不一,但方法相当简单,包括定期冥想和精细的呼吸练习。

According to the method, you first begin with thirty cycles of breathing meant to induce controlled hyperventilation.

根据这种方法,你首先做30次呼吸,形成控制性过度通气。

You inhale filling the lungs completely, which means starting your breath down in the stomach and slowly expanding your lungs upwards.

吸气时完全充满肺部,这意味着你的呼吸进入胃中,慢慢地向上扩张到肺部。

Then you release the breath, but without actually exhaling- instead you let the pressure in your lungs force air out, before inhaling again.

然后呼气,但实际上不呼气,而是让肺部压力迫使空气出来,然后再吸入。

gwx27.jpg

Once you've mastered thirty cycles of controlled hyperventilation,

一旦你掌握了30个周期的控制性过度换气,

you then focus on controlling your body's response to being deprived of oxygen.

就会专注于控制身体对缺氧的反应。

You do this by taking deep breaths in, holding it in briefly, and then completely expelling all the air out of your lungs.

你要做的是深呼吸,短暂地保持呼吸,然后把所有的空气从肺里完全排出。

With empty lungs, you then resist the urge to breathe in as long as possible.

肺部变空的情况下,尽量克制住呼吸的冲动。

You might feel yourself drifting into oxygen-depravation panic,

你可能会觉得自己陷入了缺氧的恐慌之中,

but if you can hold out long enough you'll actually eventually receive a boost of oxygen

但如果你能坚持足够长的时间,最终会得到大量的氧气。

as your liver releases oxygen-rich blood that it keeps stored for emergencies like this.

因为你的肝脏会释放出富含氧气的血液,这些血液会被储存起来以备不时之需。

Freedivers who swim without oxygen often practice hitting this point,

在没有氧气的情况下游泳的自由潜水员经常练习打这一点,

and warn that the hardest part is simply keeping your cool and not freaking out.

并警告说,最困难的部分只是保持冷静,不要惊慌失措。

The third step is to then work on your breath retention.

第三步是保持呼吸。

After mastering the complete exhalation exercise, you then repeat,

在掌握了完整的呼气练习之后,你再重复一遍,

and when your urges to breathe get incredibly strong, you then take a full, deep breath in and hold it for 15-20 seconds.

当呼吸欲望变得异常强烈时,你再做一次充分的深呼吸,并屏住呼吸15至20秒。

Altogether, a complete work out should include three consecutive rounds of all three steps,

总而言之,一个完整的训练包括三个步骤,连续做三次,

and this Hof claims will help you master your ability to resist the effects of the cold.

霍夫声称这将帮助你掌握抵抗寒冷的能力。

But, does it work?

但是,它有效吗?

Well, surprisingly, yes, it does.

令人惊讶的是,的确有效。

Scientists have discovered that resisting the effects of cold is more to do with your own mental perception

科学家们发现,抵御寒冷的影响更多地取决于自己的心理感知和意志力,

and willpower rather than anything biological.

而不是任何生物因素。

Studies on people who have learned to resist the cold show that their core body temperature remains pretty much the same as a regular person's,

对已经学会御寒的人进行的研究表明,他们的核心体温与普通人基本相同,

it's simply their perception of cold that's different.

只是他们对寒冷的感知不同。

For them, the same cold that sends you scurrying into a pile of blankets is merely a light breeze.

对他们来说,让你匆匆忙忙地钻进毯子里的寒冷只不过算是微风罢了。

Of Course biology does help though, and scientists have also found

当然,生物学确实有帮助,科学家们还发现,

that individuals who regularly expose themselves to extreme cold actually develop fat deposits known as brown fat.

经常暴露在严寒中的人实际上会产生被称为棕色脂肪的脂肪沉积。

This is the same type of fat you had as a baby, and is largely to thank for your chubby, cute appearance as a newborn.

这和你小时候的脂肪是一样的,主要源于你刚出生时胖胖可爱的样子。

Babies are pretty terrible about keeping body heat in,

婴儿不会保持身体热量,

so the body is able to burn this fat much more efficiently than regular fat, which helps keep it warm.

因此身体能够比普通脂肪更有效地燃烧这些脂肪,这有助于保持体温。

If you regularly expose yourself to extreme cold, you too can hack your body into believing it needs to generate this type of fat deposits,

如果你经常把自己暴露在极度寒冷的环境中,你也会使身体相信它需要产生这种脂肪沉积,

and in turn they will help keep you warm.

这反过来会帮助你保暖。

The trick though of course is to undergo what extremophiles term acclimatization,

当然,诀窍是要经历极端环境的适应过程,

or the process of gradually increasing exposure to extreme cold.

或逐渐增加暴露在极端寒冷中的过程。

Sorry, but eating a bunch of donuts on the couch isn't going to get you the precious brown fat you need for your underwear-only trip to the north pole-

抱歉,但是在沙发上吃一堆甜甜圈并不能让你得到只穿内衣去北极旅行所需的珍贵棕色脂肪——

it's just going to get you regular fat.

它只会给你带来普通的脂肪。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
expanding [iks'pændiŋ]

想一想再看

扩展的,扩充的

 
release [ri'li:s]

想一想再看

n. 释放,让渡,发行
vt. 释放,让与,准

联想记忆
generate ['dʒenə.reit]

想一想再看

vt. 产生,发生,引起

联想记忆
hack [hæk]

想一想再看

n. 劈,砍,出租马车 v. 劈,砍,干咳

 
meditation [.medi'teiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 沉思,冥想

 
relief [ri'li:f]

想一想再看

n. 减轻,解除,救济(品), 安慰,浮雕,对比

联想记忆
incredible [in'kredəbl]

想一想再看

adj. 难以置信的,惊人的

 
extreme [ik'stri:m]

想一想再看

adj. 极度的,极端的
n. 极端,极限

 
resist [ri'zist]

想一想再看

v. 抵抗,反抗,抵制,忍住
n. 防蚀涂层

联想记忆
panic ['pænik]

想一想再看

n. 恐慌
adj. 惊慌的
vt.

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。