手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 世界名校精彩演讲 > 正文

著名歌手约翰·传奇2021杜克大学毕业典礼演讲(1)

来源:可可英语 编辑:Sara   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

To all the Duke community,alumni, friends, faculty, family, whether you're tuning in from Durham or across the world: Welcome!

杜克大学所有的校友、朋友、教职员工、家人,无论你正在达勒姆还是世界各地收看:欢迎!

And most importantly — thankfully, blissfully — let me extend a big, in-the-flesh congratulations to our guests of honor: The Class of 2021!

最重要的是——感恩地,充满喜悦地——让我向我们的贵宾——2021届毕业生——表示热烈的祝贺!

What a day! What a year! What an accomplishment! Congratulations!

多美好的一天!多特别的一年!多么了不起的成就!恭喜你们!

D-D-M-F!

D-D-M-F!

You know, I'm felling good today, because this is the first time I've been in front of a live audience, hearing live applause, since last February.

我今天感觉特别好,因为这是去年二月以来,我第一次站在现场观众面前,听到现场的掌声。

Fourteen months ago.

上次现场还是14月之前。

For a needy performer like myself, this is a very big deal.

对于我这种需要关注的表演者来说,这太重要了。

It feels very nice. Thank you for the love. I needed it. My wife has been exhausted.

感觉很好。谢谢你们的爱。我很需要。我的妻子已经筋疲力尽了。

But this is not my first time on your beautiful campus.

但这不是我第一次来到你们美丽的校园。

Way back in 2004, I performed at LDOC with someone named Kanye West. You guys've heard of him?

早在2004年,我和一个叫坎耶·韦斯特的人在LDOC表演。你们听说过他吗?

In those days, I would play piano and sing the hooks for Kanye, and hope that people would notice me.

那时候,我弹钢琴,为坎耶唱和声,希望有人会注意到我。

And then later that year, we released my first album - Get Lifted — and I'm realizing today that maybe it's thanks to Duke that my career took off.

后来就在那年,我发行了我的第一张专辑Get Lifted,然后我现在想想,我事业的腾飞多亏了杜克大学。

I wouldn't be a EGOT winner without Duke.

没有杜克大学我不可能获得演艺圈大满贯。

And I'm thrilled it's brought me full circle, back to speak with you on this most momentous day.

我很高兴回到原点在这个最重要的日子里和你们讲话。

Seriously, this is a special milestone for all of you.

说真的,这对你们来说是一个特殊的里程碑。

And if you don't feel it yet, that's okay.

如果你们还没感受到,没关系。

When I was prepping for my own graduation way back in 1999, (Were you guys alive then? Barely. Barely.)I remember feeling pretty indifferent.

1999年当我为自己的毕业做准备时,(你们那时候出生了吗?刚出生吧。)我记得我当时很不在意。

Back then, I was too cool to care about this silly ceremony.

那时候我很酷,才不会在意这些没意思的典礼。

I'd already done the work. I'd already made the friends. I'd turned in my papers and passed my tests.

我已经完成了学业,交到了朋友,交了论文,通过了考试。

What was the point of all this pomp and circumstance?

搞这些大排场的意义在哪呢?

But, during the actual ceremony, I realized that being together is the point. Being joyous is the point. Celebrating is the point.

但当我真正到了典礼现场,我意识到在一起就是意义,开心就是意义,庆祝就是意义。

We have so few moments to enjoy these rites of passage — to just revel in our accomplishments with the people we love.

我们很少有时间来享受这些仪式——只是和爱的人一起陶醉于我们的成就中。

Today is one of those moments.

今天就是这样一个时刻。

And, of course, after a year when we could barely gather at all, it takes on a special meaning.

当然,在这一年里,我们几乎没能聚集在一起,这一刻就更具特别的意义。

johnlegend.png

Let's just acknowledge the elephant in the stadium: On your way to Wallace Wade, your class lost a lot.

让我们承认这个显而易见的事实:一路走来,你们这一届同学失去了很多。

Some lost job offers.

有些人失去了工作机会。

Some lost loved ones.

有些人失去了亲人。

And all of you lost a whole year of those little moments that make college so special — the in-between moments.

你们所有人都失去了一年的本应让大学生活变得特别的小时光,那些中间的时刻。

Those late nights in Perkins, sitting across the table from your delirious friends.

那些在Perkins和你那些神志不清的朋友们面对面坐着度过的深夜。

Those talks in the common room or spontaneous lunch dates.

那些在公共休息室里的谈话或者随意的午餐约会。

Those weeks camping out in the freezing cold for tickets to a sports game, because apparently we do that here.

那些在大冷天扎帐篷买比赛门票的日子,显然我们就是这么做的。

Those nights dancing around burning benches after you win, because, apparently, that's a thing we also do here.

那些获胜后跳舞庆祝的夜晚,因为显然我们就是会这么做。

But all this loss is no joke.

但所有这些损失都不是开玩笑的。

I keep thinking about your senior performances.

我一直在想你们的毕业演出。

Losing those would have been tragic for me.

要是我的话,肯定会非常伤心。

All you band members and acapella singers and dancers and improv aficionados, I feel your pain.

所有的乐队成员,阿卡贝拉歌手,舞者和即兴表演爱好者,我能感受到你们的痛苦。

You've lost something that you won't get back. I won't sugarcoat that. It sucks.

你失去了一些无法挽回的东西。我就不说好听话了。确实糟透了。

But from what you've lost — from all of this vast, incalculable loss — you've also gained something.

但从你所失去的——从所有这些巨大的、不可估量的失去中——你也获得了一些东西。

The fact that you're here today, graduates of one of the world's greatest universities, means that you've had to approach life with certain competitiveness.

你们今天在这里,毕业于世界上最好的大学之一,这意味着你们是带着一定的竞争力进入生活的。

I know because I did it, too.

我知道,因为我也曾经历过。

I skipped grades to get ahead. I worked hard to graduate second in my high school class.

我跳级走在前面。高中努力学习以班级第二的成绩毕业。

Went to Penn. Graduated and got a job as a management consultant at Boston Consulting Group. Yes, I did that, too.

读宾夕法尼亚大学。毕业后在波士顿咨询公司找了一份管理顾问的工作。是的,我也这么做过。

And that path required this constant drive to push harder, reach higher, do better — to try to be perfect, or close to it.

而这条道路需要源源不断的驱动力去逼自己更努力,达到更高,做得更好——努力做到完美,或接近完美。

I'm sure that sounds familiar to a lot of you.

我相信这些话你们很多人听起来都很熟悉。

But over the past year, you were forced to pause to see yourselves not just in competition with one another, but in community with each other.

但在过去的一年里,你们被迫停下来,看到自己不仅是在于其他人竞争,也与其它人共同生活着。

Anyone getting sick was a risk to everyone.

任何人生病对其它人来说都是一种风险。

We all had to slow down. Social distance. Cover our faces.

我们都不得不慢下来。保持社交距离。戴口罩。

Stop filling our days with maximum productivity, and simply keep each other safe.

不再追求每日工作效率最大化,而是只求保证彼此安全。

Keep each other alive. Care for one another.

彼此扶持生存,彼此照顾。

And this perspective you gained will serve us all.

你的这种观点会帮到我们所有人。

Because while that competitive drive that got you here can be an incredible gift, it can get in the way, too.

帮助你来到这里的竞争力是一种极好的天赋,但它也可能成为阻碍。

We all know that for Duke to win, UNC must, I think we say, G-T-H? Is that right? Okay.

我们都清楚如果杜克要赢,那北卡罗来纳大学必须输,对吧?

But that competitiveness can be a slippery slope to thinking: For me to get ahead in life, for me to succeed, someone else is going to have to lose out.

但这种竞争可能让人产生这种想法:如果我想在生活中走在前面,想要成功,那么就得有人出局。

Someone else is going to have to suffer.

其他人就得承受失败。

You let that competitiveness take over your thinking, and you might start seeing life as a zero-sum game.

如果你让这种竞争占据了你的思维,你可能会开始把生活视为一场零和游戏。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
approach [ə'prəutʃ]

想一想再看

n. 接近; 途径,方法
v. 靠近,接近,动

联想记忆
revel ['revl]

想一想再看

vi. 狂欢作乐,陶醉 n. 作乐,狂欢

 
indifferent [in'difrənt]

想一想再看

adj. 漠不关心的,无重要性的,中立的

联想记忆
band [bænd]

想一想再看

n. 带,箍,波段
n. 队,一群,乐队

 
joyous ['dʒɔiəs]

想一想再看

adj. 充满快乐的,使人高兴的

 
certain ['sə:tn]

想一想再看

adj. 确定的,必然的,特定的
pron.

 
slippery ['slipəri]

想一想再看

adj. 滑的,狡猾的,不可靠的

 
incredible [in'kredəbl]

想一想再看

adj. 难以置信的,惊人的

 
ceremony ['seriməni]

想一想再看

n. 典礼,仪式,礼节,礼仪

 
competitive [kəm'petitiv]

想一想再看

adj. 竞争的,比赛的

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。