手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 世界名校精彩演讲 > 正文

著名歌手约翰·传奇2021杜克大学毕业典礼演讲(4)

来源:可可英语 编辑:Sara   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Professor Cornel West has a word for what this kind of love looks like in public.

康奈尔·韦斯特教授用一个词来形容这种公众中的爱。

That word is justice. Love in public takes the shape of justice.

这个词就是正义。公共生活中的爱以正义的形式出现。

And I'll close with one final story about justice.

最后我要讲一个关于正义的故事。

It's about a man named Desmond Meade. He grew up in Miami Florida, graduated from high school, joined the army.

是关于一个叫德斯蒙德·米德的人。他在佛罗里达州迈阿密长大,高中毕业后参军。

He served this country as a helicopter mechanic, dreaming of one day sailing the skies as a pilot.

他作为一名直升机机械师服务于这个国家,梦想着有一天能成为一名飞行员在天空中遨游。

But along the way he struggled with a painful addiction. He was convicted of felony possession.

但一直以来,他都在与令人痛苦的毒瘾作斗争。他被判犯有非法占有罪。

He served his time and came out committed to staying clean.

他服了刑,出狱后决心戒掉毒瘾。

But when he came out he reentered a world that treated him as a loser in a zero-sum game,

但当他出狱后,他重新进入了一个世界,在这个世界里,他被视为零和游戏中的失败者,

that didn't care if it was impossible to find a job or a home or a second chance.

这个社会不在乎他是否无法找到工作、住房或第二次机会。

He also reentered a state that denied him the right to vote.

他还重新进入了一个剥夺他投票权的州。

State laws discriminating against formerly incarcerated people are direct vestiges of Jim Crow.

州法律歧视曾被监禁的人,这是种族隔离法案的直接痕迹。

After the amendments granting voting rights and equal protection to Black citizens after the Civil War,

美国南北战争后,赋予黑人公民投票权和平等保护的修正案通过,

the white majority feared the power of the black vote and found many ways to limit it:

大多数白人害怕黑人投票权的力量,并找到了许多限制它的方法:

physical violence, poll taxes, ridiculous literacy tests. And felony disenfranchisement.

身体暴力、人头税、荒谬的识字测试。还有重罪选举权被剥夺的情况。

The plan was to incarcerate Black Americans for petty theft, loitering, "vagrancy," and then disenfranchise them, often permanently.

他们计划以小偷小摸、四处游荡、“流浪”的罪名监禁美国黑人,然后剥夺他们的公民权,通常是永久性的。

This way, they barred millions from the full rights of citizenship.

通过这种方式,他们剥夺了数百万人充分的公民权利。

Today, still, an estimated one in 13 Black Americans has been stripped of their right to vote due to past convictions.

时至今日,据估计每13名美国黑人中就有一人因过去的定罪而被剥夺了投票权。

Now, it's hard to reverse these laws. It requires a constitutional amendment in a lot of places.

现在,很难颠覆这些法律。很多地方都需要修改宪法。

In some states, it requires a popular referendum.

在一些州,它需要全民公决。

In Florida, it wasn't just about initiative requiring 51 percent of the vote. You need 60 percent.

在佛罗里达州,这不仅仅是一项需要51%选票的倡议。你需要60%。

And in an evenly divided state like Florida, that seemed impossible.

而在像佛罗里达这样两党势均力敌的州,这似乎是不可能的。

Only love can give you the power to take on these kinds of odds.

只有爱能给你力量去面对这种几率。

johnlegend.png

Love of the people you're fighting with.

爱和你一起战斗的人。

Love of the people you're trying to persuade.

爱你想要说服的人。

The basic belief that if we can honor each other's humanity and dignity, then no matter our differences, we'll end up wanting the best for each other.

我们的基本信念是,如果我们能尊重彼此的人性和尊严,那么不管我们有什么不同,最终我们都会希望彼此得到最好的。

Desmond Meade got sober. He went to law school.

德斯蒙德·米德戒了毒。他去读法学院。

And filled with great love, indomitable optimism, and audacious hope, he launched a campaign to take on those odds.

满怀着伟大的爱、不屈不挠的乐观主义和大胆的希望,他发起了一场运动来克服这些困难。

We partnered with him at #FreeAmerica.

我们在“解放美国”活动中与他合作。

We shared people's stories.

我们分享人们的故事。

We asked neighbors to talk with their neighbors.

我们请邻居们去和他们的邻居交谈。

We knocked on doors.

我们挨家挨户敲门。

And when the time came, we didn't win 60 percent of the vote.

当选举时刻到来,我们没有赢得60%的选票。

We won 65 percent of the vote.

我们赢得了65%的选票。

We passed a constitutional amendment that restored voting rights to more than 1.4 million Floridians.

我们通过了一项宪法修正案,恢复了140多万佛罗里达人的投票权。

A year later, I stood in a Florida courthouse as a judge made it official for a room full of formerly incarcerated people.

一年后,我站在佛罗里达州的法院,一名法官在满屋子曾经被监禁过的人面前正式宣布法案通过。

Some of these people hadn't voted in decades and hadn't really felt connected to their communities at all since their incarceration.

这些人中有一些已经几十年没有投票了,自从被监禁以来,他们再也没有感受到过自己与社区的联系。

But many said that this one moment made them feel like they fully belonged again. Like they were part of something bigger.

但很多人说,这一刻让他们觉得自己再次完全融入了这个世界。好像他们是更大的组织的一部分。

They were in tears celebrating, and so was I.

他们热泪盈眶地庆祝,我也一样。

And so was Desmond — this veteran, this former bodyguard, this calm, cool, and collected attorney with tears running down his cheeks.

德斯蒙德也一样——这个老兵,这个以前当过保镖的人,这个沉着、冷静、镇定的律师,他的眼泪顺着脸颊流了下来。

Duke Class of 2021: I wish you lives with Desmond's kind of love:

杜克大学2021届毕业生:我希望你们能拥有德斯蒙德那样的爱:

Love for our neighbors — and for people who feel like they're a world apart.

爱我们的邻居,爱那些觉得自己与世界分离的人。

Love for justice — defined by a spirit of empathy, mutuality and community.

爱正义——以一种共情、互助和团体的精神。

Love for a world where we don't need to win at someone else's expense, even if they're Tar Heels — where we can win together.

爱一个我们不需要以牺牲别人的利益来赢得胜利的世界,即使他们是北卡罗莱纳人,我们可以一起赢得胜利。

We can do this, Class of ‘21!

我们能做到的,21届毕业生!

重点单词   查看全部解释    
bodyguard ['bɔdi.gɑ:d]

想一想再看

n. 警卫员,保卫人员,保镖

 
possession [pə'zeʃən]

想一想再看

n. 财产,所有,拥有

联想记忆
persuade [pə'sweid]

想一想再看

vt. 说服,劝说

联想记忆
humanity [hju:'mæniti]

想一想再看

n. 人类,人性,人道,慈爱,(复)人文学科

 
amendment [ə'mendmənt]

想一想再看

n. 改善(正), 修正案,某物质能改善土壤有助生长

联想记忆
optimism ['ɔptimizəm]

想一想再看

n. 乐观,乐观主义

联想记忆
ridiculous [ri'dikjuləs]

想一想再看

adj. 荒谬的,可笑的

联想记忆
committed [kə'mitid]

想一想再看

adj. 献身于某种事业的,委托的

联想记忆
initiative [i'niʃətiv]

想一想再看

adj. 创始的,初步的,自发的
n. 第一步

联想记忆
sober ['səubə]

想一想再看

adj. 清醒的,沉着冷静的,稳重的,颜色暗淡的

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。