This is Everyday Grammar. I'm Alice Bryant.
这里是《每日语法》节目。我是爱丽丝·布莱恩特。
The words "if" and "whether" are conjunctions that connect two or more sentences or clauses.
“if”和“whether”是连接两个或两个以上句子或从句的连词。
In part 1 of this program, I talked about when to use the word "whether".
在本期节目的第1部分中,我谈到了何时使用“whether”这个词。
On today's program, I will talk about when "if" must be used and when the two words are interchangeable.
在今天的节目中,我将谈论什么时候必须使用“if”,以及什么时候这两个词可以互换。
We use "if" in conditional sentences. We cannot use "whether".
我们在条件句中使用“if”。我们在条件句中不用“whether”。
A conditional sentence is one that presents a condition and a result.
条件句是表示条件和结果的句子。
In other words: when A happens, B happens.
换句话说:当A发生时,B就会发生。
Here's an example: If I won the lottery, I would buy a house.
举个例子:如果我中了彩票,我会买一栋房子。
In this sentence, "If I won the lottery" is the condition, and "I would buy a house" is the result.
在这句话中,“If I won the lottery”是条件,“I would buy a house”是结果。
Next, let's talk about two situations in which "if" and "whether" are interchangeable.
接下来,我们来讨论两种if和whether可以互换的情况。
When reporting yes or no questions, we can use "if" or "whether."
当回答“是或否”问题时,我们可以用“if”或“whether”。
Listen to two statements to see what I mean:
请听下面两句话来理解我的意思:
He asked if I listen to music every night.
他问我是否每晚都听音乐。
He asked whether I listen to music every night.
他问我是否每晚都听音乐。
We can also use "if" or "whether" when asking indirect yes or no questions.
在间接问“是或否”问题时,我们也可以用“if”或“whether”。
Listen to the examples: Can you tell me if the train is coming soon?
听下面的例子:你能告诉我火车是不是快到了吗?
Can you tell me whether the train is coming soon?
你能告诉我火车是不是快到了吗?
As discussed in Part 1, there are some exceptions.
正如第1部分中所讨论的,也有一些例外。
You can learn more about them in that program.
你们可以在那个节目中了解更多关于它们的信息。
And that's Everyday Grammar.
以上就是今天的《每日语法》。