Hi, John, what's on your mind today?
嗨,约翰,你今天在想什么?
Scary alien creatures. I watched Predator last night--you know the famous 80s movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger.
可怕的外星生物。我昨晚看了《铁血战士》——那部由阿诺德·施瓦辛格主演的著名的80年代电影。
I've never seen it and I don't plan to.
我从来没有看过,我也不打算看。
How does the movie connect with grammar?
这部电影与语法有什么联系?
Well, there's this famous line that Arnold says: "If it bleeds, we can kill it." What a great line!
这部电影里面有一句阿诺德说的著名台词:“如果它流血,我们就能杀死它。”多棒的台词啊!
I don't know if it's a great line, but it does contain a conditional statement.
我不知道它是否是一句很棒的台词,但它确实包含了一个条件句。
Exactly. Grammar books describe different kinds of conditional statements.
一点儿没错。语法书描述了不同类型的条件句。
The differences are mainly in terms of time, the nature of the action, and the reality of the situation being described.
区别主要在于时间、行动的性质和所描述的情况的真实性。
So, in Arnold's line, the first part of the statement has an if-clause.
因此,在阿诺德的台词中,句子的第一部分有一个条件从句。
The clause has the subject, "it," meaning the alien creature, and a verb in the simple present form, "bleeds."
这个从句的主语是“it”,指的是外星生物,还有一个一般现在时的动词“bleeds”。
When Schwarzenegger said, "If it bleeds," he is describing a general truth.
当施瓦辛格说“如果它流血”时,他描述的是一个客观事实。
If something has blood, it is probably a living thing. And living things can be killed.
如果某物有血,那么它很可能是活物。活物可以被杀死。
Right. And note that the result clause has the helping verb "can."
没错。注意,结果句中有助动词“can”。
"...we can kill it." This is important because "can" expresses possibility.
“……我们就能杀死它。”这很重要,因为“can”表达可能性。
It does not suggest that something is sure to happen.
这并不意味着某事一定会发生。
Let's think about how the statement could have been different.
我们想想这句话可能会有什么不同。
What would the difference in meaning be if we removed "can"?
如果我们去掉“can”,意思会有什么不同?
The statement would be "If it bleeds, we kill it."
句子应该是“如果它流血,我们杀了它。”
This suggests a general rule or policy.
这指的是一般的规则或政策。
lt suggests a usual way of doing things.
这指的是一种惯常的做事方式。
But when alien creatures invade, well, you're involved in an unusual situation.
但当外星生物入侵时,你就会陷入一种不寻常的境地。
And that's Everyday Grammar.
以上就是今天的《每日语法》。