Hi Faith! How are you doing today?
嗨,费思!今天过得怎么样?
I've been reading the sports news all morning.
我整个上午都在看体育新闻。
The international games are going on right now!
国际比赛正在进行中!
Which games are those?
都有哪些比赛?
You clearly aren't a sports fan.
你显然不是体育迷。
I guess not. But I am a grammar fan.
我认为我不是。但我是个语法迷。
And when I think of sports competitions, I think of ordinal numbers.
当我想到体育比赛时,我想到的是序数词。
Ordinal numbers can act as nouns, adjectives, or adverbs.
序数词可以充当名词、形容词或副词。
The three most important ordinal numbers in sports are first, second, and third.
体育运动中最重要的三个序数词是第一、第二和第三。
That's right. Imagine you hear two English speakers discussing the World Cup.
没错。想象一下,你听到两个以英语为母语的人在讨论世界杯。
One might ask: "When does the World Cup start?"
一个人可能会问:“世界杯什么时候开始?”
The other person might say: "It starts on the third." Or "It starts on the second."
另一个人可能会说:“从3号开始。”或者“从2号开始。”
In both cases, the ordinal number is acting like a noun.
在这两种情况下,序数词充当名词。
It means the order of the day in the month.
它的意思是一个月中某一天的顺序。
Ordinal numbers also can act as adverbs.
序数词也可以充当副词。
In discussions before, during, and after international competitions, you might hear a person say, "That team ranked third in the world last year."
在国际比赛之前、期间、之后的讨论中,你可能会听到一个人说:“那支球队去年排名世界第三。”
In this case, the word "third" gives more information about the past tense verb, ranked.
在这种情况下,单词“third”提供了关于动词过去式ranked的更多信息。
You might also hear ordinal numbers used to modify adjectives, as in the "second largest team." or the "third winningest team."
你可能还会听到序数词被用来修饰形容词,比如“第二大球队”或“第三个获胜的队伍”。
Finally, you might also hear ordinal numbers used as an adjective.
最后,你可能还会听到序数词充当形容词。
For example, you might hear a person say "a country won its first gold medal."
例如,你可能会听到一个人说“一个国家赢得了它的第一块金牌。”
Or they might say "this is the second time that country has won the gold."
或者他们可能会说:“这是那个国家第二次获得金牌。”
And that's Everyday Grammar.
以上就是今天的《每日语法》。