Hi, Faith! What's on your mind today?
嗨,费思!你今天在想什么?
When I was watching the news recently, I realized that I was thinking about whether the actions I heard about were right or wrong.
当我最近看新闻时,我意识到我在思考我听到的行为是对还是错。
In other words, I was making moral judgments.
换句话说,我在做道德判断。
I think almost everyone does that whether they realize it or not!
我想几乎每个人都会这样做,不管他们是否意识到这一点!
It brings up an important question: How does grammar connect with discussions about moral issues?
这提出了一个重要的问题:语法是如何与有关道德问题的讨论联系起来的?
Moral questions often come down to a central idea: An action is right or an action is wrong.
道德问题往往归结为一个核心思想:行动是正确的还是错误的。
The central structure of these kinds of statements is: Subject+BE+subject complement.
这类句子的中心结构是:主语+BE+主语补语。
The subject complement is often an adjective.
主语补语通常是形容词。
Some common positive adjectives used in such statements include right, correct, appropriate or justified.
在这类句子中常用的一些肯定形容词包括right(正确的)、correct(正确的)、appropriate(适当的)或justified(合理的)。
Some common negative adjectives used in such statements include wrong, incorrect, terrible, or unjustified.
在这类句子中常用的一些否定形容词包括wrong(错误的)、incorrect(不正确的)、terrible(可怕的)或unjustified(不公正的)。
So, you might hear a person say: "My decision was appropriate," or "their behavior was terrible," or "we were wrong".
所以,你可能会听到有人说:“我的决定是恰当的,”或者“他们的行为很糟糕”,或者“我们错了”。
All of these statements have the same basic structure.
所有这些句子都有相同的基本结构。
Another key area of grammar that connects with discussions about moral issues is the idea of necessity, an action must or must not be done.
另一个与道德问题相关的关键语法领域是必要性的概念,即必须采取或禁止采取的行动。
English speakers use several structures to express necessity, but some of the important ones are "need to..." and "have got to..."
以英语为母语的人使用几种结构来表达必要性,但其中一些重要的结构是“need to...”和“have got to...”。
For example, imagine you hear a story about a disagreement between two members in your family.
例如,想象一下你听到一个关于你的两个家人之间意见不合的故事。
You might say, "He needs to apologize to you," or "you need to apologize to him."
你可以说,“他需要向你道歉,”或者“你需要向他道歉。”
And that's Everyday Grammar.
以上就是今天的《每日语法》。