Hi, Faith! You won't believe what I found this week!
嗨,费思!你不会相信我这周发现了什么!
Hey, John! What's that?
嘿,约翰!是什么?
I went to an antique store and found a vintage 1940's style suit!
我去了一家古董店,发现了一套二十世纪四十年代的复古西装!
Ugh, John! Don't you mean old?
啊,约翰!你是说旧吗?
Isn't an antique store where there's a bunch of old, decrepit things?
古董店不是有一堆破旧的东西吗?
No! Why would you say it like that?
不!你为什么要这么说?
These are vintage or antique things - good quality stuff, just older.
这些都是古董——质量好的东西,只是年代久远。
So, wait! What is the difference between antique, vintage, old, and decrepit?
所以,等等!antique,vintage,old和decrepit的区别是什么?
Ah! That's a good question for a lesson!
啊!这是一个很好的课程问题!
All of these words mean "old," but their connotations are different.
所有这些词的意思都是“旧,老”,但它们的内涵不同。
Oh! I know what connotations are!
噢!我知道什么是内涵!
Connotations are associations of words.
内涵是词语的关联意义。
It's the feeling we get from the word: if the word is positive or negative, or somewhere in the middle, or if the word is stronger or weaker.
它是我们从词语中得到的感觉:词是积极的还是消极的,亦或介于两者之间,还是词更强或更弱。
Sometimes connotations are emotional or cultural.
有时,内涵是带有情感或文化色彩的。
So, when I said that antique stores were old and decrepit, that was negative, right?
所以,当我说古董店破旧的时候,那是消极的,对吗?
Right! You offended me just a little bit.
没错!你有点冒犯我了。
Old can be negative sometimes, but most times it's a neutral word, in the middle, not positive nor negative.
Old有时可能是消极的,但大多数情况下它是一个中性词,既不是积极的也不是消极的。
But when you called it decrepit. That word was negative!
但当你说它破旧的时候。那个词是消极的!
I apologize. Can we think of some other examples?
我向你道歉。我们还能想出其他例子吗?
Oh! Was the suit inexpensive or not costly?
噢!这套西装是便宜还是不贵?
Do you mean, "Was it cheap?"
你的意思是,“便宜吗?”
Well, yes. I was trying to say it with more of a positive connotation.
是的。我试着用更积极的内涵来表达它。
You know, because cheap sounds negative, right?
因为cheap听起来很消极,对吧?
You're right! Cheap, affordable, and inexpensive all mean the same thing, but cheap sounds more negative.
没错!“Cheap”、“affordable”和“inexpensive”的意思都是一样的,但“cheap”听起来更消极。
And you're also right about the suit. It was cheap.
你对那套西装的描述是正确的。它很便宜。
And that's Everyday Grammar.
以上就是今天的《每日语法》。