手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 品牌英语听力 > 六分钟英语 > 正文

第503期:粉红色好看吗 Pretty in pink?

来源:可可英语 编辑:Leon   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

Hello, I'm Yvonne Archer, this is "6 Minute English" , and thanks to Rob for joining me today.

大家好,我是伊冯·阿彻,这里是英语六分钟,感谢罗伯今天参加我的节目。

It's good to be here, Yvonne. Great.

我很高兴能来这,伊冯。太好了。

Rob – how do you feel about the colour pink?

罗伯,你觉得粉红色怎么样?

Pink?

粉红色?

Well, it's not my colour but my four-year-old daughter loves it.

这不是我喜欢的颜色,但我四岁的女儿很喜欢。

Well, she's got good taste because pink is the colour of choice for today's programme.

嗯,她很有品位,因为粉色是今天节目的主题色。

But before we find out why, it's time for today's question.

但在我们找出原因之前,是时候回答今天的问题了。

Are you ready, Rob?

罗伯,你准备好了吗?

I'm ready and waiting! Good.

我已经准备好了! 很好。

In 1918, according to an article that appeared in The Ladies' Journal, what was thought to be the most suitable colour for girls?

1918年,根据《女士杂志》上的一篇文章所提到的,人们认为什么颜色最适合女孩?

Was it: a) red, b) pink or c) blue.

是a)红色,b)粉色还是c)蓝色

Hmm… a) red, b) pink or c) blue?

嗯……a)红色,b)粉色还是c)蓝色?

I guess as we're talking about pink, I'd say pink.

我想既然我们在谈论粉色,我会选粉色。

As usual, I'll have the answer for you later on in today's “6 Minute English”!

像往常一样,我将在今天的“六分钟英语”中为你揭晓答案!

Now, recently, a BBC Radio 4 programme called "Fight the Power of Pink" investigated why little girls have a preference for the colour pink, like young Imogen.

最近,BBC广播4频道一档名为“对抗粉色的力量”的节目调查了为什么小女孩喜欢粉红色,比如小伊莫金。

She spoke to the BBC Breakfast team about her love of pink.

她在BBC早餐节目中谈到了她对粉色的热爱。

It's not really an obsession, it's when you like, look at it, you feel like, quite dizzy and you go on day dreaming.

这并不是一种痴迷,而是当你看着它的时候,会感到头晕,然后继续做白日梦。

It's like you're in heaven! Imogen says her love of pink isn't really 'an obsession' - she's not so passionate about it that she doesn't have time for any other interests.

你就像在天堂一样!伊莫金说,她对粉色的热爱并不是一种“痴迷”——她并没有那么热衷于粉色,仍有时间去培养其他兴趣爱好。

But looking at pink has a physical effect on her.

但看到粉红色会对她的身体有影响。

Yes, Imogen says she feels quite 'dizzy' - weak and shaky as though she might faint.

是的,伊莫金说她觉得“头晕”——虚弱、发抖,好像要晕倒似的。

So, pink has quite a dramatic effect on her, doesn't it?

所以粉色对她有很大的影响,不是吗?

It definitely does, Rob.

确实如此,罗伯。

It gets her daydreaming - but what does she mean by 'daydreaming'?

这让她做白日梦——但是她说的“白日梦”是什么意思呢?

Well, she imagines things and situations and can't concentrate or focus on what's actually happening around her.

她会想象一些事情和情景,无法集中精力或关注周围实际发生的事情。

For example, a little girl might be thinking about having a big pink wedding instead of thinking about her school work.

例如,一个小女孩可能正在考虑举办一个盛大的粉红色婚礼,而不是考虑她的学业。

So everything would be pink at her wedding, everyone would be dressed in pink, including the men and boys… You wouldn't catch me wearing pink!

所以在想象的婚礼上,所有的东西都是粉红色的,每个人都穿粉红色的衣服,包括男人和男孩……你不会看到我穿粉红色的!

Oh no, Rob! I bought you a pink shirt for your birthday.

哦不,罗伯! 我给你买了一件粉色衬衫作为生日礼物。

Oh no. Have you got the receipt?

哦,不。你有收据吗?

Hmm - I'd better take it back!

嗯——我最好把它退回去!

Anyway, we might be thinking that a preference for pink is only a problem for parents' bank accounts.

无论如何,我们可能会认为,偏爱粉红色只是父母银行账户余额的问题。

Yes, buying all those pink goods could be very costly for us parents.

是的,对父母们来说,买那些粉红色的东西可能会很贵。

My daughter has convinced us to buy a pink doll's house.

我女儿说服我买了一个粉红色的娃娃屋。

No! How expensive was that?

天!那有多贵?

Very expensive.

非常昂贵。

But a child's firm belief that pink is only for girls can also lead to more serious problems.

但是,一个孩子坚信粉色是女孩的专属,也会导致更严重的问题。

Here's BBC Breakfast's Charlie Stayt with a story from a viewer:

BBC的查理·斯泰特从一位观众那里听说了一个故事:

Mrs Davies got in touch, she's in Kent, she says: "My 4-year old grandson refused to take his antibiotic medicine given by his doctor because it was pink!

戴维斯夫人和我取得了联系,她现在在肯特郡,她说:“我4岁的孙子拒绝吃医生给他开的抗生素,因为那是粉红色的!

He said pink was for girls. He was really upset."

他说粉色是给女孩子的。他真的很难过。”

As we heard, Mrs Davies' four-year old grandson refused to take his antibiotic medicine.

我们听到,戴维斯夫人四岁的孙子拒绝吃他的抗生素药。

He didn't want to take it even though he was quite ill.

即使他病得很重,他也不想吃。

No, he believes that anything pink is for girls, even medicine - so that can be difficult for parents and perhaps dangerous in some cases.

不,他认为任何粉红色的东西都是女孩的,甚至是药物——所以这对父母来说可能很困难,在某些情况下可能很危险。

That's true - but in this case, I'm happy to say that he did finally did take his medicine.

这是真的,但在这种情况下,我很高兴地说,他终于吃了药。

Well, Greg Hodge, a research director, says that businesses certainly make use of the fact that children generally believe that anything pink is only for girls.

研究主管格雷格·霍奇表示,商家当然会利用孩子们普遍认为粉色是女孩的专利这一事实。

People like what their friends like and retailers and manufacturers aren't silly with that, and they look to build on that and get children to buy stuff that their parents like.

人们喜欢他们的朋友喜欢的东西,零售商和制造商不会犯傻,他们希望以此为基础,让孩子们买他们父母喜欢的东西。

So if you're merchandising in a store, if you can persuade the parent that it's good as well and that they want to buy it, then you can also trick the child as well.

所以,假设你在商店里推销商品,如果你能说服家长,让他们相信这个产品很好,他们想买,那么你也可以欺骗孩子。

Retailers and manufacturers - the people who sell and make goods - try to get children to buy things that their parents like and as we'll all have noticed, a lot of it is pink.

零售商和制造商——销售和制造商品的人——试图让孩子们买他们父母喜欢的东西,正如我们都注意到的那样,很多都是粉红色的。

And the way stores or shops show - or merchandise - their stuff helps to sell more goods.

商店或店铺展示商品的方式有助于销售更多的商品。

Both parents and children can be convinced that they want to buy the pink stuff that they see.

这让父母和孩子都确信他们想买看到的粉红色东西。

And it's interesting that Greg Hodge, a research director, says merchandising can 'trick' children into getting their parents to buy what they see.

有趣的是,该公司研究主管格雷格?霍奇说,商品推销可以“欺骗”孩子,让父母买他们看到的东西。

Yes, the word 'trick' suggests that there's something slightly dishonest about merchandising which makes children want to buy things that they might not really want.

是的,“欺骗”这个词表明,商品销售中有些不诚实的手段,让孩子们想买他们可能并不真正想要的东西。

So do girls prefer pink for scientific or cultural reasons?

那么女孩喜欢粉色是出于科学还是文化原因呢?

Well, the debate will probably continue for quite some time.

嗯,这场争论可能还会持续很长一段时间。

Oh, that's a good job, then because we've got to deal with today's question, Rob.

哦,做得很好,我们还要处理今天的问题,罗伯。

Earlier, I asked: in 1918, according to an article that appeared in The Ladies' Journal, what was thought to be the most suitable colour for girls?

早些时候,我问:1918年,根据《女士杂志》上的一篇文章,人们认为什么颜色最适合女孩?

Was it red, pink or blue?

是红色、粉红色还是蓝色?

And I said it had to be pink.

我说它必须是粉红色的。

And you were absolutely…wrong.

你完全错了。

Oh, dear! They felt that blue was a dainty and delicate colour so it was prettier for girls.

哦,天哪! 他们觉得蓝色是一种精致的颜色,所以女孩子穿蓝色更漂亮。

Hmm – I like blue.

嗯——我喜欢蓝色。

Good choice! But that's all for today and we hope you'll join us again soon for more "6 Minute English" - from BBC Learning English! Goodbye!

不错的选择! 今天的节目就到这里了,希望你能再次收听我们的BBC英语六分钟节目! 再见!

重点单词   查看全部解释    
obsession [əb'seʃən]

想一想再看

n. 困扰,沉迷,着魔,妄想

联想记忆
passionate ['pæʃənit]

想一想再看

adj. 热情的,易怒的,激情的

联想记忆
debate [di'beit]

想一想再看

n. 辩论,讨论
vt. 争论,思考

联想记忆
concentrate ['kɔnsntreit]

想一想再看

v. 集中,专心,浓缩
n. 浓缩物

联想记忆
faint [feint]

想一想再看

n. 昏厥,昏倒
adj. 微弱的,无力的,模

 
dramatic [drə'mætik]

想一想再看

adj. 戏剧性的,引人注目的,给人深刻印象的

联想记忆
rob [rɔb]

想一想再看

v. 抢劫,掠夺

 
director [di'rektə, dai'rektə]

想一想再看

n. 董事,经理,主管,指导者,导演

 
viewer ['vju:ə]

想一想再看

n. 观看者,电视观众,观察器

 
receipt [ri'si:t]

想一想再看

n. 收据,收条,收到
v. 出收据

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。