Hi, John! How are you?
嗨,约翰!你好吗?
Hi, Faith! I'm great! What have you been up to?
嗨,费思!我很好!你最近在忙些什么?
I just got back from my hometown, the place where I was born and grew up.
我刚从我的家乡回来,那是我出生和长大的地方。
Oh, where is that?
哦,那是在哪里?
A town in the U.S. state of West Virginia. Do you know where that is?
美国西弗吉尼亚州的一个城镇。你知道在哪里吗?
Yeah, I think so. Just a few hours from Washington, D.C.?
是的,我想我知道。离华盛顿特区只有几个小时的路程?
Yes. It is actually the only state that is completely in the Appalachian Mountain range!
是的。它实际上是唯一一个完全位于阿巴拉契亚山脉的州!
That reminds me of what we can talk about for our lesson today! Language variation or dialects!
这让我想到了我们今天课程可以讲的内容!语言变异,即方言!
A dialect or variation of a language is the non-standard way people speak in a particular region or area in a country.
方言(即语言变异)指的是在国家的特定地区的人们说话的非标准方式。
That's right. We learn standard English in school, but many people in their daily life speak a variation of English.
没错。我们在学校里学的是标准英语,但许多人在日常生活中说的是英语方言。
Many people who live in West Virginia and other parts of the Appalachian Mountains talk differently than people from other parts of the U.S. because of the mountains.
由于山脉阻隔,许多住在西弗吉尼亚州和阿巴拉契亚山脉其他地区的人与美国其他地区的人说话的方式不同。
It's called Appalachian English. Do you want to hear some examples?
这叫阿巴拉契亚英语。你想听一些例子吗?
Sure!
当然!
Great! We have different vocabulary. We have the word "pop."
太棒了!我们有不同的词汇。我们有“pop”这个词。
We also have a special insect that flies at night and has a light on its belly.
我们还有一种特殊的昆虫,这种昆虫在夜间飞行,腹部发光。
Do you know what that is John?
约翰,你知道那是什么吗?
A firefly?
萤火虫?
Yes! Same insect, but we call it a "lightning bug!"
是的!同一种昆虫,但我们叫它“lightning bug!”
We also have different pronunciation!
我们的发音也不一样!
For example, instead of the long /i:/ sound, as in "creek," some people in Appalachia pronounce this word as "creek" with an /I/ sound, as in the word "tip."
例如,阿巴拉契亚地区的一些人把creek中的长元音/i:/读成“tip”中的短元音/I/。
Wow, thanks for teaching me a little bit about Appalachian English, Faith!
哇,谢谢你教我一些阿巴拉契亚英语,费思!
You're welcome, John!
不客气,约翰!
And that's Everyday Grammar.
以上就是今天的《每日语法》。