I probably throw away my own weight in garbage each month.
我可能每个月要扔掉相当于自己体重的垃圾。
That's the average for an American city dweller.
这是一个美国城市居民的平均水平。
Urbanites like me create roughly twice as much trash as our rural counterparts.
像我这样的城市居民制造的垃圾是我们的农村同行的大约两倍。
We city folk the world over produce three million metric tons of garbage each day.
世界各地的城市居民每天产生约300万吨垃圾。
And in the next decade or so, the amount of garbage worldwide could double.
而在接下来10年左右的时间里,全世界的垃圾数量可能会翻番。
That's partly because more and more of us are living in cities-and there are more and more of us around.
这部分是由于越来越多的人生活在城市,而且我们周围真是越来越人满为患。
In order not to live amidst ever higher landfills like in WALL-E, people will have to waste less.
为了不生活在像影片瓦力中高高的垃圾填埋场里,人们将不得不减少浪费。
This can be done: The average Japanese urbanite makes just a third the trash produced by the average American, like yours truly.
这是可以做到的:平均日本都市人产生的垃圾只有像我这样美国人三分之一。
We'll all have to turn Japanese if the world is to reach so-called “peak waste” before 2100.
如果全世界在2100年之前想要达到所谓的“最大垃圾量”目标,我们就必须效仿日本人。
Peak waste refers to some highest ever amount of garbage produced daily, which then, it's hoped, begins to fall.
最大垃圾量指的是每天产生垃圾数量达到有史以来最高值,然后,只能寄希望于这个数值开始下降。
On current pace, garbage production could rise beyond 11 million metric tons per day by the end of this century.
按照我们当前的速度, 本世纪末的垃圾产量有可能超过每天1100万吨。
If we haven't peaked by then, we could be living in garbage.
如果那时我们还没有达到峰值,我们就可能生活在垃圾中。