手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 在线广播 > VOA慢速英语 > VOA慢速-词汇掌故 > 正文

他们两个"截然不同"

来源:可可英语 编辑:Magi   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

And now, Words and Their Stories, from VOA Learning English.

欢迎收听VOA慢速英语《词汇掌故》节目。

Oil and water are two very different substances.

油和水是两种截然不同的物质。

Oil is thick. Water is thin.

油很稠。水很稀。

If you pour oil into water, they do not mix, and the oil floats to the top.

如果你把油倒进水里,它们不会混合,油会浮在水面上。

This difficult relationship can play a part in some laboratory experiments.

这种困难的关系可能会在一些实验室实验中发挥作用。

It can play a big part in kitchens as we cook food.

在我们烹饪食物时,它可以在厨房里发挥重要作用。

It can also be used to describe some of our personal relationships.

它也可以被用来描述我们的一些个人关系。

If we say two people are like oil and water, it means they do not get along.

如果我们说两个人就像油和水,意思是他们相处得不好。

They are not compatible.

他们关系不好。

Things like objects, elements, and people that do not or cannot mix together easily can be compared to oil and water.

诸如物体、元素和人之类不能轻易混合在一起的都可以比作油和水。

Here is an example from experience.

下面是一个来自经验的例子。

My friend often asked me to watch her cat Bluey when she would travel out of town.

我的朋友经常让我在她出城旅行的时候帮她照看一下她的猫布鲁伊。

Usually, cats love me but not Bluey.

通常猫都喜欢我,但布鲁伊不喜欢我。

He would make terrible cat noises as soon as I walked into the apartment.

我一走进公寓,他就会发出可怕的猫叫声。

Every time I tried to pet him, he would bite and scratch me.

每次我想抚摸他,他都会咬我,抓我。

So, I didn't like him either.

所以,我也不喜欢他。

We were like oil and water.

我们就像油和水。

I took care of him, but for the most part, we ignored each other.

虽然我照顾他,但大多数时候,我们不理对方。

This expression describes how oil and water naturally separate.

这个短语描述了油和水是如何自然分离的。

They are incompatible.

它们不相容。

So are people who have nothing in common and do not get along.

没有共同之处、相处不融洽的人也是如此。

We sometimes say oil and water do not mix to express an opinion that two things do not go together.

我们有时说油和水不混合来表达两种东西无法在一起的观点。

Here is another "oil" expression.

这是另一个与“油”有关的短语。

If you pour oil on troubled water, you calm a tense situation.

pour oil on troubled water的意思是平息紧张局势。

You might not hear this expression too much in America as it is mainly a British usage.

在美国你可能不会经常听到这个短语,因为它主要在英国使用。

Now let's hear the expression used between two friends.

现在我们来听听两个朋友使用的相关短语。

I'm worried about my birthday party.

我担心我的生日派对。

Why? It's not until next weekend.

为什么?你的生日派对要到下个周末才举办。

It doesn't matter. My two best friends will never find a way to get along.

和这个无关。我的两个最好的朋友永远都无法和睦相处。

Ben likes to plan everything and is a bit of a control freak.

本喜欢计划一切,他有点控制狂。

Kara is super easy going and likes to play things by ear.

卡拉是个超级随和的人,喜欢见机行事。

Those two sound like oil and water.

他们两个听起来像油和水。

They are! And they want to throw the party together. What a truly bad idea.

是的!他们想一起开派对。真是个糟糕的主意。

I have a good idea. I'll come to the party early.

我有一个好主意。我早点来参加派对。

If things between them get heated, I'll get between them and calm things down.

如果他们之间的事情变得激烈,我会介入他们之间,让他们冷静下来。

You'll be the oil on my troubled waters!

你会成为调停争端的人!

Sure. Whatever you say. I just want to have fun at your party!

当然。随你怎么说。我只想在你的派对上玩得开心!

And that's all the time we have for this Words and Their Stories. Until next time … I'm Anna Matteo.

以上就是本期《词汇掌故》节目的全部内容。下次见……我是安娜·马特奥。

译文为可可英语翻译,未经授权请勿转载!

重点单词   查看全部解释    
incompatible [.inkəm'pætəbl]

想一想再看

adj. 不相容的,不能并存的,矛盾的

联想记忆
control [kən'trəul]

想一想再看

n. 克制,控制,管制,操作装置
vt. 控制

 
troubled ['trʌbld]

想一想再看

adj. 动乱的,不安的;混乱的;困惑的

联想记忆
compatible [kəm'pætəbl]

想一想再看

adj. 能共处的,可并立的,适合的,兼容的

联想记忆
describe [dis'kraib]

想一想再看

vt. 描述,画(尤指几何图形),说成

联想记忆
separate ['sepəreit]

想一想再看

n. 分开,抽印本
adj. 分开的,各自的,

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。