手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 在线广播 > VOA慢速英语 > VOA慢速-词汇掌故 > 正文

如何定义成功?

来源:可可英语 编辑:Magi   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

And now, Words and Their Stories, from VOA Learning English.

欢迎收听VOA慢速英语《词汇掌故》节目。

We all want to be a success in life.

我们都想在生活中取得成功。

But success can look different from person to person.

但成功的定义可能因人而异。

Perhaps the key to success is really knowing yourself.

也许成功的关键是真正了解自己。

What do you want? What are your skills and strong suits? What are you really good at and what are you not?

你想要什么?你的技能和强项是什么?你真正擅长什么,不擅长什么?

Climbing the ladder of success also requires different strategies in different industries.

攀登成功的阶梯在不同的行业也需要采取不同的策略。

If you want to be a success in a traditional corporate environment, you may have to wear business clothing like a suit.

如果你想在传统的公司环境中取得成功,你可能需要穿诸如西装之类的商务服装。

As they say, you may have to dress for success.

正如人们所说,你可能必须为成功而着装。

If you want a creative job, you may need to wear the latest fashions.

如果你想要一份创造性的工作,你可能需要穿最新的时装。

Again, English has a common expression about clothes and future job goals: "Dress for the job you want, not the one you have."

同样,英语中有一个关于着装和未来工作目标的常见短语:“根据你工作的性质着装,而不是有什么穿什么。”

However, success takes more than just the right clothes.

然而,成功需要的不仅仅是合适的衣服。

It also takes hard work.

也需要努力工作。

Oftentimes others do not see all the hard work that goes into a project.

通常情况下,其他人并没有看到某个人在项目中付出的所有努力。

They think success comes suddenly, for example overnight.

他们认为其成功得很突然,比如一夜之间。

Let's say an unknown writer makes it big with her first book.

假设一位不知名的作家凭借她的第一本书大获成功。

People may call her an overnight success.

人们可能会说她一夜成名。

But they do not know about the many years she spent studying and writing.

但他们不知道她花了多少年的时间学习和写作。

Another ingredient in the recipe for success is a plan.

成功秘诀中的另一个要素是计划。

To reach your goal, you need to get organized and break the goal down into doable steps.

为了达到你的目标,你需要有组织性,把目标分解成可行的步骤。

You know what they say – if you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

人们常说,不做计划就是计划失败。

Many English phrases make the road to success sound like a real physical path -- something we could find on a map.

许多英语短语使成功之路听起来像是一条真正的有形之路——我们可以在地图上找到的路。

Real roads are paved with materials such as asphalt.

真正的道路是用沥青之类的材料铺成的。

But when we talk about success, the roads to it are paved with different materials.

但当我们谈论成功时,通往成功的道路是由不同的材料铺成的。

Sometimes we say the roads are paved with gold.

有时我们说道路是用金子铺成的。

This suggests a place where success, especially financial wealth, is easy to come by.

这表明,在这个地方,成功,尤其是金融财富,是很容易获得的。

For some people the road to success is paved with hard work or luck.

对有些人来说,成功之路是用努力或运气铺就的。

Others may find their road to success is paved with failures.

其他人可能会发现他们的成功之路铺满了失败。

Learning from their failures taught them how to succeed.

从失败中吸取教训教会了他们如何成功。

Often if you follow the right road, you can achieve your goal.

通常情况下,如果你沿着正确的道路走,你就能实现你的目标。

Then, life is filled with the sweet smell of success.

这样,生活就充满了成功的喜悦。

You have the world at your feet.

全世界都在你的脚下。

You are riding high.

你大获成功。

You've got it made and are killing it.

你成功了,而且大获全胜。

You are golden. As you can see, we have many expressions describing success.

你是特别的。正如你所看到的,我们有很多描述成功的短语。

But make sure that you do not lose sight of what really makes you happy and successful.

但要确保你没有忽视真正让你快乐和成功的东西。

Some people become a victim of their own success.

有些人成为自己成功的牺牲品。

This means you start having problems because of your success.

意思是你开始因为你的成功而遇到问题。

And that explains our final popular English saying, a gentle warning: Be careful what you wish for: you just might get it.

这就解释了我们最后一句流行的英语谚语,温和的警告:记住你的愿望,也许有一天会实现。

And that's all the time we have for this Words and Their Stories.

以上就是本期《词汇掌故》节目的全部内容。

How would you define success for your English studies?

你如何定义你的英语学习的成功?

And do you have a plan to reach it?

你有没有实现这一目标的计划?

Go to our website and comment on the story.

请访问我们的网站并对这篇报道发表评论。

Or you can send us an email to this address: LearningEnglish@voanews.com.

或者你也可以给我们发电子邮件:LearningEnglish@voanews.com.。

In the subject line, write Words and Their Stories and "success."

在主题栏写上《词汇掌故》以及“成功”。

Until next time … I'm Anna Matteo.

下次见……我是安娜·马特奥。

译文为可可英语翻译,未经授权请勿转载!

重点单词   查看全部解释    
address [ə'dres]

想一想再看

n. 住址,致词,讲话,谈吐,(处理问题的)技巧

 
victim ['viktim]

想一想再看

n. 受害者,牺牲

 
unknown ['ʌn'nəun]

想一想再看

adj. 未知的,不出名的

 
traditional [trə'diʃənəl]

想一想再看

adj. 传统的

 
ingredient [in'gri:diənt]

想一想再看

n. 成分,原料,配料,因素

联想记忆
recipe ['resipi]

想一想再看

n. 食谱,秘诀,药方

联想记忆
ladder ['lædə]

想一想再看

n. 梯子,阶梯,梯状物
n. (袜子)

 
comment ['kɔment]

想一想再看

n. 注释,评论; 闲话
v. 注释,评论

联想记忆
corporate ['kɔ:pərit]

想一想再看

adj. 社团的,法人的,共同的,全体的

联想记忆
achieve [ə'tʃi:v]

想一想再看

v. 完成,达到,实现

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。