手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 在线广播 > VOA慢速英语 > VOA慢速-词汇掌故 > 正文

"知足常乐"用英语怎么说?

来源:可可英语 编辑:Magi   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

Now, the VOA Learning English program Words and Their Stories.

欢迎收听VOA慢速英语《词汇掌故》节目。

There are certain times of the year when we stop and think about all the things that make us happy or bring us joy.

在一年中的某些时候,我们会停下来回想所有让我们快乐或给我们带来喜悦的事情。

Some people even make a list of these things.

有些人甚至会把这些事情列在清单上。

In English, we have a saying for this: to count your blessings.

在英语中,我们有这样一句话:to count your blessings(知足常乐)。

When we count our blessings, we note all the wonderful things in our lives.

count our blessings指的是我们会记下我们生活中所有美好的事情。

This helps us to appreciate how good life is.

这帮助我们感激生活的美好。

Thanksgiving is a time when many Americans count their blessings.

感恩节是许多美国人细数幸福的时候。

The United States observes this holiday on the fourth Thursday in November.

美国在11月的第四个星期四庆祝这个节日。

Counting your blessings is important.

细数幸福是很重要的。

It shows that you are grateful.

这表明你很感激。

Gratitude is a feeling of appreciation or thanks.

Gratitude指的是一种感激的感觉。

When people count their blessings, they can say it like this: "I am thankful for my family. I am thankful for my friends. I am thankful for my health."

当人们细数幸福时,他们可以这样说:“我感谢我的家人,我感谢我的朋友,我感谢我身体健康。”

It is better to be grateful for our blessings than to take them for granted.

要对我们所获得的幸福心存感激,而不是视之为理所当然。

When we take something for granted, we do not appreciate it.

当我们视某事为理所当然时,我们不会感激。

Sometimes we are not appreciative of our good fortune and blessings until they are gone.

有时,直到好运和幸福消失我们才会懂得珍惜。

But now, let's take a step back. What exactly is a blessing?

但现在,让我们退一步思考。究竟什么是幸福呢?

In English, the word "blessing" has at least two meanings.

在英语中,“blessing”一词至少有两层意思。

As we said, a blessing is something that brings you happiness or helps you.

正如我们所说的,blessing是给你带来快乐或帮助你的东西。

To religious people, a blessing is approval and help from a higher source -- God.

对有宗教信仰的人来说,恩赐是更高源头——上帝——的认可和帮助。

A blessing can also be a sign of approval.

blessing也可以是一种认可的标志。

It gives you permission to do something.

它允许你做某事。

For example, a traditional marriage custom involves a blessing.

例如,传统的婚姻习俗包含赞同。

If a young man wants to marry a young woman, he may want to first get her family's blessing.

如果一个年轻的男人想要娶一个年轻的女人,他可能会首先想要征得她家人的同意。

Now, when we want to show our recognition of all the little things that prove helpful, we sometimes say "give thanks for small blessings."

现在,当我们想要表达我们对所有被证明有帮助的小事的认可时,我们有时会说“感谢小小的恩赐。”

We often say this expression in the middle of a troubling or difficult time.

我们经常在遇到麻烦或困难的时候说这句话。

So, let's say a friend of yours is angry about a flat tire on his car.

那么,让我们假设你的一个朋友因为他的车爆胎而生气。

But then he stops and thinks for a minute and says, "Well, at least I have a car. I should count myself lucky and give thanks for small blessings."

但他停下来想了一会儿说:“至少我有一辆车。我应该感到庆幸并感谢这小小的恩赐。”

Now, not all blessings are simple and easy to recognize.

现在,并不是所有的幸福都是简单和容易识别的。

Some are more complex than others.

其中一些比另一些更复杂。

That brings us to the expression "mixed blessing."

这就引出了“福祸兼有的事物”这个短语。

A mixed blessing is something that is both good and bad.

“福祸兼有的事物”指的是既有好的也有坏的东西。

For example, being really beautiful can be a mixed blessing.

例如,长得美丽可能是福祸兼有的事情。

On one hand, you look great and may be treated really well by some people.

一方面,你看起来很棒,可能会被一些人很好地对待。

On the other hand, you look great and may be treated badly by other people.

另一方面,你看起来很棒,可能会受到别人的恶劣对待。

So, when we use this expression, we often use the terms "on one hand” and “on the other hand."

所以,当我们使用这个短语时,我们经常使用“一方面”和“另一方面”这两个词。

Here is another blessing expression.

这是另一个有关blessing的短语。

It is a little more complicated: a blessing in disguise.

这有点复杂:a blessing in disguise(因祸得福)。

First of all, a disguise hides something that you do not want seen or noticed.

首先,disguise指的是隐藏了你不想被看到或注意到的东西。

For example, a secret agent might wear a disguise to hide her identity.

例如,一名特工可能会通过伪装来隐藏自己的身份。

Or a bottle of perfume might disguise an unpleasant smell.

或者一瓶香水可能会掩盖难闻的气味。

So, a blessing in disguise is a bad event or situation.

所以,a blessing in disguise(因祸得福)指的是不好的事情或情况。

But the outcome or result is actually good.

但结果实际上是好的。

Here's how to use the expression blessing in disguise.

以下举例说明如何使用blessing in disguise(因祸得福)这个短语。

So how was your high school reunion?

你的高中同学聚会怎么样?

Oh, I got sick and couldn't go.

哦,我病了,不能去了。

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that.

哦,听到这个消息我很难过。

Actually, it was a blessing in disguise.

事实上是因祸得福。

It turns out my two best friends from high school couldn't go either.

结果我高中时最好的两个朋友也去不了。

So, we're going to take another trip together next month.

所以,下个月我们打算再一起去旅行。

That sounds like even more fun.

这听起来更有趣。

It will be! They are the only people I wanted to see anyway.

是的!反正他们是我唯一想见的人。

Hey, how's everything going? I haven't seen you in a while.

嘿,一切都好吗?我有段时间没见到你了。

Things are great! For starters, I got fired last month.

一切都很好!首先,我上个月被解雇了。

Oh. Sorry. So, why are things great? Getting fired is terrible.

噢。抱歉。那么,为什么一切都很好呢?被解雇是很糟糕的事情。

Well, yes. But this time it was truly a blessing in disguise.

是的。但这一次,这真的是因祸得福。

You see, after I was fired I found a new job -- a better job that I really love. And it pays more.

你看,在我被解雇后,我找到了一份新工作——一份我真的很喜欢的更好的工作。而且薪水更高。

Good for you! I'm glad you're able to count your blessings!

祝贺你!我很高兴你能知足常乐!

And that's all the time we have this week for Words and Their Stories.

以上就是本期《词汇掌故》节目的全部内容。

Now it's time for you to "count your blessings." What are you thankful for? You can tell us in the Comments Section.

现在是你“细数你的幸福”的时候了。你对什么心存感激?你可以在评论区告诉我们。

Until next time ... I'm Anna Matteo.

下次见……我是安娜·马特奥。

When I am worried and I can't sleep

当我忧心忡忡辗转反侧无法安睡时

I count my blessings instead of sheep

我知足常乐而不是放羊

And I fall asleep counting my blessings...

我酣然入睡细数我的幸福……

译文为可可英语翻译,未经授权请勿转载!

重点单词   查看全部解释    
tire ['taiə]

想一想再看

n. 轮胎,金属圈
v. 使疲倦,厌烦

 
haven ['heivn]

想一想再看

n. 港口,避难所,安息所 v. 安置 ... 于港中,

联想记忆
fortune ['fɔ:tʃən]

想一想再看

n. 财产,命运,运气

 
disguise [dis'gaiz]

想一想再看

n. 假面目,伪装物,假装
vt. 假装,假扮

联想记忆
appreciate [ə'pri:ʃieit]

想一想再看

vt. 欣赏,感激,赏识
vt. 领会,充分意

联想记忆
perfume ['pə:fju:m,pə'fju:m]

想一想再看

n. 香水,香气
vt. 使香气弥漫

联想记忆
source [sɔ:s]

想一想再看

n. 发源地,来源,原始资料

 
blessing ['blesiŋ]

想一想再看

n. 祝福,祷告

 
appreciation [ə.pri:ʃi'eiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 欣赏,感激,鉴识,评价,增值

 
approval [ə'pru:vəl]

想一想再看

n. 批准,认可,同意,赞同

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。