And now, Words and Their Stories, from VOA Learning English.
欢迎收听VOA慢速英语《词汇掌故》节目。
Today we talk about a way to share ideas, thoughts, and opinions – a bully pulpit.
今天,我们谈论一种分享理念、想法和观点的方式——名望讲坛。
This common two-word noun sounds aggressive. But is it? Let's explore!
这个常见的含有两个单词的名词听起来很咄咄逼人。但是是这样吗?让我们去探索吧!
We'll start with the word "bully."
我们将从单词“bully”开始。
Usually when we use the word "bully," we are talking about a person who is cruel or threatening to others.
通常,当我们使用“bully”这个词时,我们指的是一个对他人残忍或具有威胁性的人。
As a verb, if you bully someone you treat them in a cruel, insulting, or aggressive way.
作为动词,如果你欺负某人,意思是你以残忍的、侮辱性或攻击性的方式对待他们。
Bullies usually threaten those who are weaker or smaller than them.
仗势欺人者通常会威胁那些比他们更弱小的人。
Now the word "pulpit." A pulpit is a raised platform used in preaching or conducting a worship service.
现在来讲讲“pulpit”这个词。pulpit指的是用于布道或做礼拜的高台。
So, together a bully pulpit sounds like a preacher who is bullying others.
因此,a bully pulpit听起来就像一个欺负别人的传教士。
But that is not what it means.
但这不是它的意思。
A bully pulpit is a public-facing position – especially a political office.
bully pulpit指的是一个面向公众的职位,尤其是政治职位。
It provides a way to share or spread your ideas widely.
它提供了一种广泛分享或传播想法的方式。
If you have a bully pulpit you have a position of influence or power.
如果你有一个名望讲坛,你就有了一个有影响力或权力的职位。
Experts say that bully pulpit comes from the 26th president of the United States, Theodore Roosevelt.
专家表示,bully pulpit来自美国第26任总统西奥多·罗斯福。
When he was in office, he once said, "I suppose my critics will call that preaching, but I have got such a bully pulpit!"
他在任时曾说过:“我想批评我的人会说这是说教,但我有总统这个讲坛!”
Roosevelt observed that his time in office at the White House was a platform for speaking out for what he believed in.
罗斯福观察到,他在白宫任职的那段时间是一个说出他的信仰的平台。
He could influence others.
他可以影响其他人。
He understood that his presidency was his bully pulpit.
他明白他的总统职位是他的讲坛。
When then President Roosevelt used the term "bully," he meant something excellent or first-rate.
当当时的罗斯福总统使用“bully”一词时,他指的是优秀或一流的东西。
This is an older meaning of the word.
这是这个词以前的意思。
And these days we often use it an as interjection, saying "Bully for you!" to cheer another's success.
如今我们经常把它用作感叹词,说“那可真不错”来为他人的成功欢呼。
Now, let's hear this term used in a short conversation.
现在,我们来听这个词在短对话中是如何使用的。
Hey, what are doing this evening? What to grab a bite?
嘿,今晚有什么安排吗?吃点什么?
I wish I could. But I have a board meeting for my swimming pool.
但愿我可以。但我需要参加游泳馆的董事会会议。
I thought you quit that board?
我以为你退出董事会了?
I did. But I have to attend one last meeting to hand off my notes to the new secretary.
我确实退出了。但我还得参加最后一次会议,把我的笔记交给新秘书。
Why are you quitting? I never heard the full story.
你为什么要辞职?我从来没有听你完整讲过这件事。
I'm quitting because of the board president.
我辞职是因为董事会主席。
She uses her position as a bully pulpit.
她利用自己的职位作为讲坛。
Instead of making the pool better, she lectures the rest of us on all kinds of issues.
她不但没有改善游泳馆,反而因为各种问题对我们其余的人说教。
It's a swimming pool? What issues come up?
这是游泳池吗?出现了什么问题?
Oh, you name it! We have to hear her views on everything from recycling to dog parks to the evils of potato chips.
哦,任何你能想到的问题!我们必须听取她对一切问题的看法,比如垃圾回收、狗狗公园、薯片的危害。
Hey, if you have time would like to replace me on the board?
嘿,如果你有时间,愿意代替我参加董事会会议吗?
Yeah … no thanks.
不用了,谢谢。
While today, bully pulpit is most often used in the world of politics, we can also use it in other areas.
虽然今天,bully pulpit最常用于政界,但我们也可以在其他领域使用它。
The president of a company can use that position as a bully pulpit -- so can the principal of a school, leaders of media sites, interest groups and more.
公司总裁可以利用这一职位作为讲坛,学校校长、媒体网站的领导人、利益集团等也可以。
And that's all the time we have for this Words and Their Stories. Until next time …I'm Anna Matteo.
以上就是本期《词汇掌故》节目的全部内容。下次见……我是安娜·马特奥。
译文为可可英语翻译,未经授权请勿转载!