Message by United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres on the Occasion of the International Mother Earth Day
联合国秘书长安东尼奥·古特雷斯国际地球母亲日致辞
22 April 2022
2022年4月22日
Today is International Mother Earth Day.
今天是国际地球母亲日。
It is a chance to reflect on how humanity has been treating our planet.
这是反思人类如何对待我们地球的机会。
The truth is, we have been poor custodians of our fragile home.
事实是,我们一直没能好好看护我们脆弱的家园。
Today, the Earth is facing a triple planetary crisis.
今天,地球正面临三重危机。
Climate disruption.
气候失调;
Nature and biodiversity loss.
自然和生物多样性丧失;
Pollution and waste.
污染和浪费。
This triple crisis is threatening the well-being and survival of millions of people around the world.
这三重危机正威胁着全世界千百万人的生存和福祉。
The building blocks of happy, healthy lives – clean water, fresh air, a stable and predictable climate – are in disarray, putting the Sustainable Development Goals in jeopardy.
幸福、健康生活的基石——清洁水、新鲜空气、稳定和可预测的气候,都正处于混乱之中,危及可持续发展目标。
But there is still hope.
但希望仍在。
Fifty years ago, the world came together for the Stockholm Conference.
50年前,全世界聚集在一起召开斯德哥尔摩会议。
It was the start of the global environmental movement.
那是全球环境运动的发端。
Since then, we have seen what is possible when we act as one.
从那时起,我们看到,当我们齐心合力时可以实现什么成果。
We have shrunk the ozone hole.
我们缩小了臭氧洞。
We have expanded protections for wild life and ecosystems.
我们扩大了对野生生物和生态系统的保护。
We have ended the use of leaded fuel, preventing millions of premature deaths.
我们停止使用含铅燃料,防止了数百万人过早死亡。
And just last month, we launched a landmark global effort to prevent and end plastic pollution.
而就在上个月,我们发起了一项具有里程碑意义的全球努力,防止并结束塑料污染。
We have proven that together, we can tackle monumental challenges.
我们已证明,齐心合力,我们可以应对巨大的挑战。
And the right to a healthy environment is gaining traction.
享有健康环境的权利越来越得到重视。
But we need to do much more. And much faster.
但是,我们还需要做得更多。速度也要大幅提高。
Especially to avert climate catastrophe.
特别是为了避免气候灾难。
We must limit global temperature rise to 1.5 degrees.
我们必须将全球温度上升限制在1.5度。
We are far off track.
我们已远远偏离了轨道。
To keep 1.5 alive, governments must have cut emissions by 45 per cent by 2030, and achieve carbon neutrality by 2050.
为了保持1.5度,各国政府必须在2030年前减少45%的排放,并在2050年前实现碳中和。
Main emitters must drastically cut emissions starting this year.
主要排放国必须从今年起大幅减少排放。
And this means accelerating the end of our fossil fuel addiction.
这意味着加快结束我们对化石燃料的依赖。
And speeding the deployment of clean renewable energy.
并加快部署清洁可再生能源。
At the same time, we must invest rapidly in adaptation and resilience, particularly for the poorest and most vulnerable who have contributed least to the crisis.
与此同时,我们必须迅速投资于适应性和复原力,特别是最贫穷最脆弱的国家,它们本来对造成危机的贡献度最小。
In June, the world will gather once again in Sweden for the Stockholm+50 meeting.
今年6月,世界将再次聚集在瑞典,召开斯德哥尔摩+50会议。
Let us make sure our leaders bring the ambition and action needed to address our triple planetary emergency.
让我们确保我们的领导人带来必要的雄心和行动,以解决地球的三重危机。
Because we have only one Mother Earth.
因为我们只有一个地球母亲。
We must do everything we can to protect her.
我们必须尽一切努力保护她。