您现在的位置: 首页 > 托福 > 托福词汇 > 胡敏托福记单词 > 正文

胡敏读故事记托福单词 第72期:At the Waste Disposal Plant 在废物处理厂

时间:2012-09-29 11:59:23 来源:可可英语 编辑:mike  每天三分钟英语轻松学

评论  打印 字号: | |  

 共 236 期     查看所有内容去掉右侧勾选即可取消连续播放 连播

72 At the Waste Disposal Plant

在废物处理厂
“I don't see any evidence of disparate treatment between men and women,” said Tom.
“我看不到多少迹象表明男女之间存在着迥然不同的待遇。”汤姆说。
“Wait until they dispense the paychecks,” said Mary.
“等到发工资的时候就会看到了。”玛丽说。
“You'll see that there is a big disparity in pay between us, even though we have the same job.
“即使做同一种工作,你也会发现男女之间工资的巨大差异。
I try not to feel dispirited but I can't help it.”
我尽力使自己不感到沮丧,但我办不到。”
“I agree with you, Mary,” said Jane.
“我同意玛丽的看法,”简附和着,
“Men receive higher pay than we do and it is not because they do a disproportionate amount of the work.
“男人薪水比我们高,并不是因为他们超比例的工作量。
This dispute has gone on for years.
这种争议已持续很多年了。
However, anytime a woman displays a strong desire to challenge the company's discretion, they dispossess her of rumors prevents her from obtaining a job elsewhere.
然而,每当我们妇女中有人表现出强烈的冤枉反对公司的独断决定时,他们就会撤销她的职务,而且在整个城镇散布关于她的恶毒谣言。谣言的传播使她在其他地方无法找到工作。
It is nearly impossible to disprove a rumor.”
要辟谣几乎是不可能的。”
“Has anyone tried approaching the company with a dispassionate attitude?” asked Tom.
“没人试着以客观冷静的态度与公司交涉吗?”汤姆问。
“If it was my choice, I would dispatch you, Jane.
“如果让我选,我就派你去,简。
You have a very credible disposition.
你的脾气让人信赖。
You're a scholar and a supervisor.
你是学者,又是督导。
The company would have a difficult time trying to displace you, even if you failed.”
即使你失败了,公司要想解雇你,也很难办。”
“I'm afraid I will have to disqualify myself from this honorable task,” relied Jane.
“我恐怕将难以胜任这项光荣的使命。”简回答,
“I've already worked hard enough in my job to dispel the myths about women being the weaker sex.
“为了肃清女人是弱者之类的鬼话,我在工作中已经付出了足够的努力。
I've even written a short disquisition on the issue.
我甚至就这个问题写过短篇专题论文。
Believe me, they're not ready to listen.
相信我的话,他们是不会听的。
Right now, the only thing the company cares about is efficient waste disposal and higher profits.'
现在,公司唯一关心的事情就是有效地进行废物处理和提高利润。”
“What about you, Mary?” asked Tom.
“玛丽你怎么样?”汤姆问,
“Are you disposed to approach the company about this issue?”
“你愿意就这个争议的问题物跟公司交涉吗?”
“Are you kidding?” Mary replied.
“你在开玩笑吗?”玛丽回答,
“Haven't you been listening to Jane? It would be like suicide!”
“难道你没听见简说吗?那等于自杀。”

打印

相关热词搜索: 胡敏 故事 托福 单词

您可能还感兴趣的文章

胡敏读故事记托福单词 第34期:Undercover 密探
中英文本34 Undercover密探The smell of roasted chillis filled the air as the chef moved the large chunks...

时间:2012-08-09 编辑:mike

胡敏读故事记托福单词 第41期:Decision 决定
中英文本41 Decision决定“What's the commotion?” I asked.“乱哄哄的吵什么呀?”我问道。In the commodity business, it...

时间:2012-08-17 编辑:mike

胡敏读故事记托福单词 第9期:The Speech and th
中英文本Good morning everyone.诸位早上好,I'd like to make a new remarks.我来说几句。Let me start by saying, ...

时间:2012-07-19 编辑:mike

胡敏读故事记托福单词 第58期:The Deadly Debut
中英文本58 The Deadly Debutante 首次进入社交界的少女杀手“We had a deal,” said the debutante in the dazzling red d...

时间:2012-09-11 编辑:mike