Just a week after the apparent concessions at Smithfield,
史密斯菲尔德谈判仅一周后
another group of rebels met with Richard at Waltham in Essex,but they found a very different king.
理查于埃塞克斯的沃尔瑟姆 接见了另一队起义者 此时国王态度截然相反
You wretches, detestable on land and sea,you who seek equality with lords, are unworthy to live!
你们这帮无耻之徒 妄图与主人平起平坐 不配活在世上
Give this message to your colleagues.Rustics you were and rustics you are still.
转告你们这帮乌合之众 乡野鄙夫永远都是乡野鄙夫
You will remain in bondage not as before,but incomparably harsher.
你们会遭受比以往 更加变本加厉的奴役
For as long as we live, we will strive to suppress you,
只要我们在世 就会镇压你们
and your misery will be an example in the eyes of posterity.
你们承受的苦难将会警示你们的子孙
However, we will spare your lives if you remain faithful.
不过 若你们现在回归信仰 尚可保命
Choose now which course you want to follow.
赶快作出抉择吧
The rebels took the only option that was realistically open to them.
起义者们选择了 当下唯一可选的路
They fell to their knees. It was all over.The king was literally the only one left standing.
起义者下跪 起义结束 国王成了唯一的胜者
But what was the effect of all this on Richard?What did he now think he was capable of?
这对理查自身有何影响 他自感在哪方面能力非凡呢
My master, God omnipotent, is mustering in his clouds on our behalf armies of pestilence,
我的君侯 万能的上帝正在他的云霄之中 为我召集降散瘟疫的天军
and they shall strike your children yet unborn and unbegot
你们这些向我举起卑劣的手 威胁我珍贵宝冕的叛徒们
that lift your vassal hands against my head and threat the glory of my precious Crown.
可怕的天谴将要波及在 你们尚未诞生的儿孙的身上