手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 国外媒体资讯 > 经济学人双语版 > 经济学人商业系列 > 正文

乘飞机出差指南

来源:可可英语 编辑:Sara   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

Business

商业版块

Bartleby

巴托比专栏

Back in the air

回到空中

What not to do when you are flying for business

乘飞机出差的注意事项

The Covid-19 pandemic has, thanks to Zoom, killed off many work trips.

多亏了Zoom,新冠肺炎疫情消灭了许多出差任务。

But not all of them.

但没有把出差完全消灭。

Some in-person meetings far afield are coming back.

一些远途出差任务又回来了。

And so is business flying.

于是坐飞机出差的情况也回来了。

Plenty of obvious edicts of air-travel etiquette are effortlessly acquired, along with air miles, merely by flying frequently.

许多很明显的空旅礼仪规矩,以及航空里程,仅仅通过多坐飞机就可以轻松获得。

As a sophisticated traveller, you probably know the drill by heart.

作为一名老道的旅客,你可能对空旅步骤了如指掌。

Still, air-rage incidents are up markedly compared with pre-pandemic times—by 50% in America and a whopping 200% in Britain.

尽管如此,与疫情前相比,在飞机上发生争执的事件明显增加,在美国增加了50%,在英国增加了高达200%。

Some people could do with a refresher.

有些人需要进修一下飞机礼仪。

Many rules of aeroplane decorum apply to all travel.

飞机礼仪的许多规则也适用于所有其他旅行方式。

But as a business traveller, you represent not just yourself but also your employer, whose logo you may well be sporting on your jacket or laptop bag.

但作为一名商务乘客,你不仅代表着你自己,也代表着你的雇主,很可能你的外套或笔记本电脑包上就明晃晃地展示着公司的标志。

So hewing to them is critical.

因此遵守礼节是至关重要的。

They begin to apply before you board the aircraft.

在你登机之前礼节就生效了。

Arrive at the gate early and in style—do not run for your life only to be panting embarrassingly or even worse, hold the plane and make 200 people wait for you while you are browsing gadgets at Duty Free.

提早且风度翩翩地到达登机口:不要逃命似的跑过来,然后狼狈地大口喘气,或者更糟的是,让整架飞机和飞机上的200个人等着你,而你还在免税店浏览各种小玩意儿。

Queue-cutters and pushers have their own place in hell.

插队的人和推搡别人的人,地狱已经给他们留好了位置。

Once on board, remember the basics.

登上飞机后,请记住基本要领。

Do not keep your headphones on when spoken to, make a fuss when you are told that chicken tikka is finished or, heaven forbid, perform any personal grooming in public.

当有人和你说话时,不要戴着耳机;当你被告知焗烧鸡肉片已经没有了时,不要大惊小怪;以及老天保佑,不要在公共场合进行个人梳洗行为。

Bare feet on the seat or bulkhead are a no-no.

绝对不要光脚踩在座椅和舱壁上。

Aggressive typing on your laptop is, too.

也绝对不要猛敲笔记本电脑。

Manspreading and “galley yoga” in the flight attendants’ work area are to be avoided.

不要坐着的时候大腿叉开或者在空乘员的工作区做“厨房瑜伽”。

Be wary of booze.

谨防饮酒。

Alcohol’s effects are more pronounced 30,000 feet above ground, even in a pressurised cabin, because of lower oxygen levels.

酒精的作用在离地3万英尺的高空更加明显,在加压的机舱里也会更明显,因为氧气水平较低。

If you tend to feel nauseous when cabin pressure changes during take-off and landing, avoid the vodka during the flight.

如果在起飞和降落过程中机舱压力发生变化时,你容易感到恶心,那么请避免在飞行过程中喝伏特加。

Unruly, entitled passengers tend to be boozing passengers—and vice versa.

不守规矩、觉得自己比别人特殊的乘客往往会酗酒,反之亦然。

You don’t want to become a TikTok sensation, and nor does your employer.

你不想在TikTok上出名吧,你的雇主应该也不想。

Cabin crew, trained to be courteous and professional, should be matched in tone.

被训练得彬彬有礼和表现专业的空乘员应该有相配的乘客。

Economy class is the trickiest.

经济舱是最棘手的。

As airlines are packing more seats on planes in coach, legroom is scarce and your own meal tray is encroaching on your space.

随着航空公司往经济舱里塞进更多座位,放腿的空间变得更少,你自己的餐盘也在侵占你的空间。

This does not excuse putting your feet up on tray tables, slamming back your seat when you recline or handing the flight attendants rubbish while they are distributing food.

但这不能成为你把脚架在小桌子上、猛地一下放倒座椅,或者在空乘员分发食物时把垃圾递给他们的借口。

Overhead bins are meant to be shared. So are armrests.

头顶上的行李架应该是共享的。座椅扶手也是。

You have no control over who sits next to you but you have agency.

你无法控制谁坐在你旁边,但你有主动能力。

If you find yourself elbow to elbow with Chatty Cathy, it is alright to say “excuse me” and slip on your noise-cancelling headphones.

如果你发现自己和爱聊天的人胳膊挨胳膊地挤在一起,你可以说句“不好意思”,然后戴上降噪耳机。

You should probably avoid working on anything remotely sensitive.

或许你应该避免做任何哪怕稍微带有敏感性的工作。

As your company’s chief of security no doubt regularly reminds you, some people are nosy.

正如公司的安全主管肯定会经常提醒你的那样,有些人就是爱管闲事。

Even those who aren’t may inadvertently sneak a peek at your spreadsheet.

就算有些人不是这样,他们也可能会无意中偷看你的电子表格。

Take the time to think about strategy or read that management book you have been meaning to for months.

你可以用这些时间思考一下战略,或者读一读你几个月来一直想读的那本管理学书籍。

Corporate dress codes may have relaxed but opt for transatlantic athleisure only if you have time to change before heading to your meeting after you land.

公司的着装要求可能已经放松了,但除非在你下飞机去开会之前有时间换衣服,否则不要穿休闲运动服。

Boarding the red-eye in pyjama bottoms is not OK. Elasticated waistbands are acceptable.

穿着睡裤登上夜间航班是不可以的。但松紧腰带的裤子是可以接受的。

Yoga pants and flip-flops are not; they clash with the spirit of work—especially if colleagues and clients might be on the same flight.

瑜伽裤和人字拖不可以,它们与工作精神相冲突--特别是当同事和客户可能在同一个航班上的时候。

And you never know whom you might run into at the luggage carousel.

而且你永远不知道你会在行李传送带旁遇到谁。

For those lucky enough to work for firms with fat travel budgets, business class helps attenuate these problems.

对于那些公司提供丰厚的差旅预算的幸运儿来说,商务舱有助于缓解这些问题。

You can work more freely and never need to kick the seat in front of you to let the passenger in the row ahead know they are reclining too comfortably (which, incidentally, you shouldn’t do in economy either).

你可以更自在地工作,也永远不需要踢你前面的座椅,让前排的乘客知道他们躺得太舒服了(顺便说一句,在经济舱里你也不应该踢别人的座椅)。

Even so, remember you are not alone.

即便如此,请记住飞机上不是只有你一个人。

Do not violate other passengers’ personal space with your body, voice (just because you are a senior vice-president at Goldman Sachs does not mean others want to listen to your phone conversation while you board) or odour (splash on your hypnotic sandalwood cologne in moderation).

不要用你的身体、声音(仅仅因为你是高盛的高级副总裁,并不意味着其他人想在你登机时听你打电话的内容)或气味(请适度使用你的安神檀香古龙水)侵犯其他乘客的私人空间。

Most of these challenges are eliminated if you fly first class.

如果你坐头等舱,这些挑战中的大多数都不会存在。

You get a personal suite, à la carte dining, vintage champagne and, on some flights, doorstep baggage pick-up, check-in and drop-off by airline employees (though even that probably doesn’t excuse flip-flops).

你会有私人套间、可以自己点菜、有上等香槟,在一些航班上,航空公司员工还会有上门取行李、办理登机手续和送机服务(但这也不是穿人字拖的借口)。

Or so this guest Bartleby is told.

至少笔者听说是这样。

When she suggested corroborating it herself for the purposes of research, her request was regrettably denied.

当她说出于研究目的想亲自证实一下头等舱的情况时,她的要求被遗憾地拒绝了。

You will have to work this part out on your own.

所以头等舱的情况需要你们自己去弄明白了。

Fasten your seatbelt, and enjoy the flight.

总之系好安全带,享受此次飞行吧。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
relaxed [ri'lækst]

想一想再看

adj. 放松的, 松懈的,随意的 relax的过去式(

 
fasten ['fæsn]

想一想再看

vt. 拴紧,使固定,系,强加于
vi. 固定

 
sophisticated [sə'fistikeitid]

想一想再看

adj. 诡辩的,久经世故的,精密的,老练的,尖端的

联想记忆
alcohol ['ælkəhɔl]

想一想再看

n. 酒精,乙醇,酒

 
sensitive ['sensitiv]

想一想再看

adj. 敏感的,灵敏的,易受伤害的,感光的,善解人意的

联想记忆
etiquette ['eti'ket]

想一想再看

n. 礼仪,礼节,成规

联想记忆
pronounced [prə'naunst]

想一想再看

adj. 显著的,断然的,明确的 pronounce的过

联想记忆
senior ['si:njə]

想一想再看

adj. 年长的,高级的,资深的,地位较高的

联想记忆
control [kən'trəul]

想一想再看

n. 克制,控制,管制,操作装置
vt. 控制

 
corporate ['kɔ:pərit]

想一想再看

adj. 社团的,法人的,共同的,全体的

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。