英语充电:
A STONE’S THROW: very near一步之遥:非常近
The hotel was a stone’s throw from the beach. I loved it.这家酒店离沙滩一步之遥,我很喜欢。
SIT ON THE FENCE: to stay neutral and not take sides保持中立
Well, don’t you think I’m right, he’s been acting differently hasn’t he?
-I’m sitting on the fence with this one; you’re both my good friends.
额,你难道不觉得我是对的,他最近的行为有点不正常啊不是吗?
-你俩都是我的好朋友,对此我保持中立/对此我不表态。
take something with a pinch of salt :regard something as exaggerated, or only believe a part of something (Take something with a pinch of salt直译是‘和一撮盐吃下去’,意译则是‘姑且听着,不能尽信’。盐在这有‘疑惑’意思。原来淡而寡味、人们不爱吃的东西,加一点调味的盐,会比较容易下咽;同样,难以教人相信的事,用一些动听言词说出来,人家往往也会有戒心,不敢尽信。所以,take something with a pinch of salt这句话含有疑惑意味)将信将疑;认为某事被放大,对某事半信半疑(某人的话,要和着一撮盐听着;姑且听着,不能尽信)
Did you hear what Tina said in the office yesterday?
-Oh, I would take anything she says with a pinch of salt.
你有听到缇娜昨天在办公室说的话吗?
-哦,她说话我从来都是听了就好了/信一半。
I took his explanation with a pinch of salt; I knew he was not a particularly honest man.我听了他的解释,将信将疑;我知道他这个人不大老实。
HANG IN THERE: wait and be patient坚持下去:耐心等待
I know you’d really like to call him, but I don’t think that’s the right thing to do now. Just hang in there and he will call you.我知道你想给他打电话,但这并非一个明智之举。再坚持一下,他肯定会打过来了。
SOLD ME OUT:to snitch on someone, or let their secret out出卖:揭发别人或泄露他人秘密
I asked you to keep it to yourself! I can’t believe you sold me out, I trusted you!我嘱咐过你一定得保密!没想到你竟然出卖我,亏我那么相信你!
YOU SOLD ME (ON SOMETHING): you convinced me of something, because you were persuasive你说服了我(某事):说服力强,让人信服
OK, you’ve sold me. I’ll go to the match with you.好吧,听你的/你把我说服啦,我跟你一起参加比赛(我跟你一起去看比赛吧)。
琳达微信号:槲寄生Mistletoe
本节目属可可原创,未经许可请勿转载