1. for now 目前,暂时
Shall we call it a night for now and continue our discussion tomorrow?
我们今晚就此结束,明天继续讨论好吗?
Goodbye for now; I'll be in touch.
现在要告别了, 我会同你联系的。
情景对话:
A: How do you think about this propose? 这个提议你怎么看?
B: It may be reasonable in the future, but not practicable for now. 可能将来会可行,但是目前还不现实。
2. the hell 口语中常用,意思是“到底,究竟”;
Get the hell out of here!
滚开!
"Who the hell may you be?" he asked truculently.
他狠狠地问道:"你到底是谁?"
情景对话:
A: Where the hell have you been hiding? 你突然躲到哪里去了?
B: I just stayed at home. 我只是呆在家里而已。
3. keep sb. +adj. 使某人保持某种状态;
I must keep my kitty clean and healthy.
我一定要让我的猫咪干净、健康。
She always keep her husband interested in her cook.
她总能让老公对她的厨艺感兴趣。
情景对话:
A: It's dangerous to hunt in this forest. 在这片森林里打猎很危险。
B: Yeah, you must keep yourself alert of the huge animals all the time. 是啊,你得时刻警惕着大型动物。
4. for one's benefit和for the benefit of sb. 都是“为了某人的利益,为了某人好,为了...”的意思;
We developed trade with them for mutual benefit.
我们以互利为目的与他们发展贸易。
The kid is acting up for our benefit.
孩子正在做出各种动作来逗引我们注意。
情景对话:
A: The Cullens moved to a big city. 库伦一家搬到一个大城市去了。
B: Yeah, it's said for their childern's benefit. 是的,据说是为了孩子们的缘故。
5. remind sb. sth. 提醒某人某事,使某人记住某事;
It reminds me of my best friend.
它让我想到了我最好的朋友。
You remind me of your father.
(看到)你使我想起了你父亲。
情景对话:
A: Why do you still keep those letters? 你怎么还保存着这些信件。
B: They remind me of our love story in our youth. 它们使我想起我们年轻时的爱情故事。
6. have nothing to do with与 ... 无关
Tears have nothing to do with sadness.
眼泪和悲哀没有关系。
We have nothing to do with him.
我们与他没有什么关系。
情景对话:
A: You ex-boyfriend got a new girlfriend recently. 你那前男友最近又交了个新女友。
B: That has nothing to do with me. 那跟我无关。
7. up to sb. 取决于某人,该由某人来做某事;
It up to you.
这取决于你;
It is up to parents to teach their children manners.
该由父母教孩子学礼貌。
情景对话:
A: What should I do? 我该怎么办啊?
B: Oh, my dear, It is up to you to decide. 噢,亲爱的,这事由你来定。
8.speak for 替 ... 讲话,为 ... 辩护,支持
Her team will speak for the affirmative.
她所在的队伍将作为正方辩护
I speak for my wife as well as myself when I thank you all for your great kindness.
我代表我妻子我自己对你的盛情款待表示感谢。
情景对话:
A: What do you want to say, madame? 这位女士,你想说什么?
B: I wish to speak for my son, he would be perfect for this job. 我希望为我儿子说几句话,这工作他一定能胜任愉快。