Joan: Hello? Miss Watson? 有人吗? 沃森小姐?
Miss Watson: Yes. I'm back here. 我在这后面。
Joan: I've never been to this part of campus before. Where are we? 我从未来过校园的这个区。这是哪里?
Miss Watson: No man's land. So to speak. Come on in. 可以说是“女儿国”。 过来吧。
Joan: What's all this? 这都是些什么?
Miss Watson: Different things, different days. People who inspire me, artists I admire, editorials I don't. So you came to see me…不同时期的不同作品。感动我的人,我推崇的艺术家 我不喜欢的评论。你来见我是为了……
Joan: You gave me a C. 你给我打了个C。
Miss Watson: I'm kind. 算是慷慨了。
Joan: The assignment was to write about Bruegel. That’s what I did. 要求写篇关于勃鲁盖尔的作业,我完成了。
Miss Watson: No, what you did was to copy Strauss. 你没有,你只是抄袭了史特劳斯的文章。
Joan: I was referencing an expert. 我是参考了专家的文章。
Miss Watson: If I wanted to know what he thought, I'd buy his book. 如果我想知道他的观点的话,会去买他的书。
Joan: Miss Watson, with all due respect.... 沃森小姐,尽管对您尊敬之至……
Miss Watson: Bruegel was a storyteller. Find the stories. Break them down into smaller pieces. You might actually enjoy it. 勃鲁盖尔擅长讲故事。去查寻他的故事吧。把它们化整为零,你会真正乐在其中的。
Joan: You're giving me another chance? 你会再给我一次机会?
Miss Watson: So it seems. 看上去是这样的。
Joan: Is that my file? What does it say? 这是我的档案吗?上面写了什么?
Miss Watson: Well, let's see. Straight A's. 好,让我们瞧瞧。全是 A。
Joan: Until now. 直到现在。
Miss Watson: President of the poetry society, captain of the debate team....co-captain of the tennis club, founder of the horticulture league. 诗社社长、辩论队领队、网球俱乐部副主席、园艺社团创办人。
Joan: I sound like a pompous ass. 听上去像个华而不实的傻瓜。
Miss Watson: Yes, you do, but a very busy one. And it says here that you're pre-law. What law school are you gonna go to? 的确,而且相当忙碌。这里说你还参加了法律预科. 你打算去哪里读法律?
Joan: I hadn't thought about that. After I graduate, I'm plan on getting married. 我没想过。毕业后,我准备结婚。
Miss Watson: And then? 然后呢?
Joan: And then I'll be married. 然后我就成已婚的了。
Miss Watson: You can do both. Just for fun, if you could go to any law school, which would it be? 你可以二者兼顾。开玩笑的说,如果你真的读法律,会去哪里?
Joan: Yale. 耶鲁。
Miss Watson: Yale. 耶鲁。
Joan: They keep five slots open for women, one unofficially for a Wellesley girl. 他们给女性留了五个名额,其中之一已然非正式的声明是留给韦尔斯利学院的女生。
Miss Watson: But you haven't really thought about it. 但是你并没有认真考虑过。
adj. 傲慢的,自大的,浮华的