背景介绍:
green card: [美国英语]绿卡,绿色通行证(无美国国籍的墨西哥或其他外国人在美国境内居住和工作的准许证)
短语讲解:
1. help out: 帮助解决难题
eg. So what can anyone do to help out Mom?
那么我们能做什么来帮助这样的妈妈?
eg. All these presents came to more money than I had, and my mother had to help me out.
所有这些礼物的价钱超过了我所带的钱,母亲只好把钱借给我。
2. dead meat: 死定了,完蛋了
eg. You guys breathe a word of this to anybody, you're dead meat.
你们两个家伙敢把这事儿透出去一个字,死路一条。
3. not at all: 一点也不
eg. And maybe you listen and drink in moderation or not at all.
也许你听从建议适量喝酒或者一点都不喝。
4. whip it out: 秀一下
eg. It seems that they need to whip one out to make sure their face is still attached every so often.
看起来她们频繁地需要拿出镜子来照照,确保脸上的妆不会花掉。
5. as opposed to: 与……形成对照
eg. Anyone in the advertising industry will tell you that it's more fun tocreate ads for some products as opposed to others.
广告业的人都知道,为某样产品作出的广告能够打击到该产品的竞争对手,这是件更有趣的事。
6. go through with: 做完,完成
eg. She said it had been brave of me to go through with the session despite my fear.
她说不要理睬那些恐惧,我完成了整个约会已经那么勇敢。