I was determined to be a designer. A fashion designer.
我下定决心要成为一名设计师,一位时装设计师。
My career was built off my childhood happy place of crafting with my mother, and I dreamt of unleashing my creativity in an industry that was borne on style and trends and luxury.
我的职业生涯起源于我童年时期和妈妈一起做手工的快乐时光。我梦想着在一个引领潮流,时尚奢华行业中凭借自己的创造力大放异彩。
It was a contradiction to my own childhood of hand-me-downs and no logos, often teased by my peers.
与之相反,我的童年里充斥着二手转赠的以及没有品牌的衣服,经常被同龄人嘲笑。
I grew up in the north of England, off grid.
我在英格兰部长大,远离现代城市设施。
My parents worked as local food farmers, and I had a real innate understanding of where things came from.
我的父母是当地种粮食的农民,我对万物萌生有着与生俱来的理解。
We were the bottom of the food chain.
我们处于食物链的底层,
We all worked as farmers, and I watched our small wind turbine turn natural resources into energy firsthand.
我们都是从事耕种的农民。我亲眼目睹了我们的小型风力涡轮机将自然资源转化为能源。
It did also mean if it wasn't windy, I couldn't watch TV.
这也意味着如果不刮风,我就无法看电视。
Getting into my dream industry.
进入我梦寐以求的行业。
I'm a very inquisitive person, so I decided to pick away at the seams.
我是一个非常有好奇心的人,所以我决定刨根问底。
And so six years ago, as the creative director of Mother of Pearl, I embarked on a mission to make a fully sustainable collection for my brand.
六年前,作为 Mother of Pearl 的创意总监,我开始为我的品牌打造一个完全可持续的系列。
I didn't really know what that meant, so I journeyed from field to finished product, emotionally engaging with the people and the planet, picking away the chains, linking them back together.
我其实不知道这意味着什么,所以我的设计之旅从田间地头到终极成品,与人们和地球真诚互动,重拾关系链条,将它们重新联系在一起。
We all get the notion of farm to table, right?
我们都明白 “从农场到餐桌”的概念,对吧?
We understand where our fresh produce comes from.
我们了解新鲜农产品从哪里来。
It's written on the packet and also from point of harvest to the final product, it kind of looks the same.
包装上注明产地,并且从收获到终极产品,看起来差不多。
But what about field to fashion?
但是时尚领域又是怎样的呢?
Fashion is also born of natural resources.
时尚也来源于自然资源。
Your clothes come from either an worm, an animal, agriculture, forestry or fossil fuels.
你的衣服要么来自蠕虫、动物、农业、森林或化石燃料。
Without worms, there is no silk, no sheep, there's no wool.
没有蠕虫,就没有丝绸,没有绵羊,就没有羊毛。
Without agriculture, there’s no cotton, no trees, no viscose.
没有农业,就没有棉花,没有树木,就没有粘胶纤维。
And polyester, which is the most widely used fabric of all, because it’s cheap, comes from fossil fuels, is made of crude oil, which is the same oil that you put into your car, the same fuel you put into your car.
而聚酯是所有面料中使用最广的一种材料,因为它很便宜,来自化石燃料,它是由原油制成的,就是你给汽车加的同一种油,给汽车加的燃料是同一种物质。
When we talk about climate change, we talk about the big stuff.
当我们谈论气候变化时,我们谈论的都是大事。
We talk about aviation, travel, shipping, logistics, agriculture, industrialization, plastic pollution, fossil fuels.
我们谈论航空、旅行、航运、物流、农业、工业化、塑料污染、化石燃料。
But this is where your clothes come from, and they are playing their part.
但这就是你的衣服的来源,他们都在其中发挥作用。
Take a polyester dress, for instance.
以涤纶连衣裙为例。
It is both fossil fuel and plastic pollution combined.
它是化石燃料和塑料污染的结合。