手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 少儿趣味科学秀 > 正文

自己种马铃薯

来源:可可英语 编辑:Alisa   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Let me introduce you to one of my favorite foods:

我给你们介绍一种我最喜欢的食物:
It's the wonderful, delicious potato!
它就是美味可口的马铃薯!
I love potatoes because they can be turned into so many different kinds of food.
我喜欢马铃薯,因为它可以变成各种各样的食物。
You can make mashed potatoes, or potato soup, or even hash browns!
你可以做马铃薯泥、马铃薯汤,甚至炸薯饼!
Oh, and potato chips are super tasty, too.
哦,薯片也很好吃。
Squeaks and I love potatoes so much, we're going to grow our own.
我和吱吱都非常喜欢马铃薯,我们将要自己种它。
We're starting by sprouting our own potatoes, and you can, too!
我们先从马铃薯发芽开始,你也可以自己做!
To try this experiment, you'll need a potato, a clear cup of water, and toothpicks.
要做这个实验,你需要一颗马铃薯、一杯清水和一些牙签。
First, let's take a look at our starter potato.
首先,我们来看看起始马铃薯。
Most of the time when you're growing plants, you start out with a seed.
大多数时候,你种植物都从一粒种子开始。
But potato plants start a bit differently.
但是马铃薯的起步有点儿不同。
They start as a sprout on another potato.
它们在另一颗马铃薯上开始发芽。
Like most potatoes, our starter potato is covered in small spots on the outside called eyes.
和大多数马铃薯一样,我们的起始马铃薯外面都是一个个的小点,它叫做芽眼。
Don't worry, they're not real eyeballs!
不要担心,它们不是真的眼球!
They're just called eyes because sometimes they can look like someone drew a tiny eye on the potato.
它们叫芽眼是因为,它们有时看起来就像人们画在马铃薯上的小眼睛。
When a potato is ready to grow into more potatoes,
当马铃薯准备产生更多的马铃薯时,
those eyes sprout, and new bits of potato, called tubers, grow out of them.
芽眼就会发芽,从里面长出叫做块茎的小马铃薯。
We're going to get this potato ready to sprout by soaking it in water.
我们要把这颗马铃薯泡在水里准备发芽。
This will let the potato know that there's lots of water around to help it grow,
这会让马铃薯知道周围有很多水来帮助它生长,
so it'll start sprouting new tubers from its eyes.
因此它会从芽眼里长出新的块茎。
The first thing to do is to wash your potato with some water,
第一件要做的事是用水洗马铃薯,
scrubbing it to get any dirt or chemicals off.
除去它的污垢或化学物质。
Then, have a grown-up help you carefully stick the toothpicks into the top of the potato.
然后,让大人帮你小心地把牙签插到马铃薯顶部。
You'll want to put the toothpicks in so they're a little bit diagonal instead of straight up.
你插牙签是想让它们斜着,而不是立着。
Once the toothpicks are stuck in really well,
一旦牙签插好,
you can lower the potato into the clear cup with the toothpick side on top.
你就可以把马铃薯放到干净的杯子里,有牙签的一面朝上。
That way, most of the potato will be in the water,
这样的话,大部分马铃薯浸在水里,
but there will still be some space out of the water where the leafy part can start to grow.
但水外仍有一部分空间供叶子生长。
You can always take the potato back out and rearrange the toothpicks if you need to.
如果你需要重新排列牙签,可以把马铃薯拿出来。
Oh! Squeaks thinks our potato is too far in the water and I agree!
噢!吱吱觉得我们的马铃薯浸水太深了,我也这么觉得!
You'll want it arranged so that just enough of the water covers the bottom of the potato,
你想排列牙签,这样就能让足够多的水覆盖到马铃薯底部,
including some of the eyes, but not the whole thing.
包括一些芽眼,而不是马铃薯全身。

potato.png

There. Now these toothpicks look just right.

这里。现在这些牙签看着对了。
Ok, now that that's set up, it's time to find a good place for the potato to start sprouting,
好了,既然这一步准备好了,是时候找个合适的地方让马铃薯发芽了,
somewhere that will feel a lot like being underground.
这些地方要接近地下环境。
Where do you think we should put it, Squeaks?
吱吱,你觉得我们应该把它放哪儿?
Oh, I don't know if putting it under your blanket would work.
噢,我不觉得把它放在你的毛毯下面有用。
And it would be kind of hard to sleep, wouldn't it?
它这样很难入睡,不是吗?
But you're right, that it should be dark.
但你说对了,环境应该暗些。
Plants eventually need light to keep growing,
植物最终需要阳光保持生长,
but for the first parts of their lives they're underground where it's dark.
但是它们生命的第一步是在黑暗的地下。
The temperature is also a little cool underground,
地下的温度也有点儿低,
so we're looking for somewhere dark and a little less warm than the rest of the Fort.
所以我们要找一个比沃斯堡其他地方更昏暗阴凉的地方。
How about a cabinet?
橱柜怎么样?
OK, let's go to put the potato in the kitchen cabinet and let it get to work.
好吧,我们将这马铃薯放在橱柜里,让它生长。
We'll check back every day to change the water if it gets cloudy and add more if we need to.
我们每天都去看它,如果水浑了就换水,缺水了就加水。
Hi again! It's been a couple of weeks, and our potato has started to sprout!
嗨!已经过了几周,我们的马铃薯开始发芽了。
See the roots on the bottom?
看到底部的根了吗?
And now it's time for my favorite part of this experiment.
现在到了我最喜欢的实验部分了。
No, silly, not eating the potatoes.
不,傻瓜,不要吃这颗马铃薯。
It's time to let our potatoes grow big and strong.
现在是让我们的马铃薯茁壮成长的时候。
You can either place the cup with your sprouted potato in a nice, sunny windowsill,
你可以把装有发芽马铃薯的杯子放在阳光充沛的窗台上,
or you can plant it in a pot with soil.
也可以把它种在有泥土的花盆里。
Now that the plant has sunlight, the tubers will slowly start to grow.
既然植物有了阳光,块茎就会慢慢开始生长。
It'll need some water to drink, and to be kept nice and warm.
它需要喝水,而且要保持温暖。
So if you're planting them in soil, it's better to do this in the spring.
所以如果你计划把它们种在地里,最好在春天种。
After a week or so, you might start to see more shoots starting to grow out of your potato!
大约一周之后,你可能会看到你的马铃薯长出更多的嫩枝!
Over time, the potato plant will grow bigger and taller, with more leaves.
随着时间的推移,马铃薯植株会越长越高,越来越大,叶子也越来越多。
If you keep it in water, the new tubers won't get big enough to eat,
如果你把它放在水里,新块茎得不到足够的营养,
but the stems and leaves on top will keep growing, and you might even see some flowers!
但是上面的茎叶会继续生长,你甚至会看到一些花!
If you planted your potato in soil, the tubers will eventually grow into new potatoes that you can eat.
如果你把马铃薯种在土里,块茎最终会长成你可以吃的新马铃薯。
After they've been growing for a few months, you can harvest the potatoes and eat them!
它们生长几个月后,你就可以收获并吃它们了!
You'll know they're ready after the stems and leaves above the ground wither and turn completely brown.
你会知道,它们在地面上的茎叶枯萎并全变成棕色之后就成熟了。
That means the above-ground part of the plant is dead,
这意味着马铃薯的地上部分已经死了,
but the potatoes below ground are ready to eat!
但是地下的部分可以吃了!
It can take up to five months for your potatoes to be ready,
马铃薯需要5个月才能成熟,
so you'll need a lot of patience for this experiment!
所以你需要很大的耐心来做这个实验!
I know, buddy! I can't wait for ours are ready, either.
朋友,我知道,我也不能等那么久。
But we have plenty of fun things to do in the meantime!
但在此期间,我们有很多有趣的事可以做!
Do you have a favorite food made out of potatoes, like french fries or mashed potatoes?
你有最喜欢食物是马铃薯制成的吗,比如薯条或者马铃薯泥?
What other kinds of plants would you like to grow?
你还想种其他什么植物吗?
Have a grown-up help you leave a comment below,
找个大人帮忙在下方留言,
or send us an email tokids@scishow.com
或发邮件至kids@scishow.com
Thanks! We'll see you next time, here at the fort!
感谢您的收看,我们下期见,沃斯堡等你哦!

重点单词   查看全部解释    
check [tʃek]

想一想再看

n. 检查,支票,账单,制止,阻止物,检验标准,方格图案

联想记忆
diagonal [dai'ægənl]

想一想再看

adj. 对角线的,斜的,斜纹的 n. 对角线,斜线,斜

联想记忆
wither ['wiðə]

想一想再看

vt. 使凋谢,使衰退,(用眼神气势等)使畏缩 vi.

联想记忆
temperature ['tempritʃə(r)]

想一想再看

n. 温度,气温,体温,发烧

 
blanket ['blæŋkit]

想一想再看

n. 毛毯,覆盖物,排字版
vt. 用毯子裹,

 
cabinet ['kæbinit]

想一想再看

n. 橱柜,内阁
adj. 私人的

联想记忆
rearrange ['ri:ə'reindʒ]

想一想再看

重新整理,重新排序

联想记忆
eventually [i'ventjuəli]

想一想再看

adv. 终于,最后

 
patience ['peiʃəns]

想一想再看

n. 耐心,忍耐,毅力
n. 单人玩的牌

联想记忆
stick [stik]

想一想再看

n. 枝,杆,手杖
vt. 插于,刺入,竖起<

 

    阅读本文的人还阅读了:
  • 眼眉有什么作用 2018-04-17
  • 地球从何而来 2018-04-19
  • 我们为什么不能喝海水呢 2018-04-27
  • 扁桃体有什么作用 2018-04-29
  • 指甲有什么作用 2018-05-01
  • 发布评论我来说2句

      最新文章

      可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

      每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

      添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
      添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。