手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED演讲视频 > 正文

应对气候变化迫在眉睫

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

When I was about eight years old, I first heard about something called climate change or global warming.

在我大概八岁的时候,我第一次听说气候变化或全球变暖。
Apparently, that was something humans had created by our way of living.
显然,这是人类的生活方式产生的后果。
I was told to turn off the lights to save energy and to recycle paper to save resources.
我被告知要关灯以节约能源,回收纸张以节省资源。
I remember thinking that it was very strange that humans,
我记得我那时觉得很奇怪,人类,
who are an animal species among others, could be capable of changing the Earth's climate.
作为动物的一种,能够改变地球的气候。
Because if we were, and if it was really happening, we wouldn't be talking about anything else.
因为如果是我们做的,如果真的发生了,我们不就不该谈论其他的事情了。
As soon as you'd turn on the TV, everything would be about that.
一打开电视,应该都是关于气候的事。
Headlines, radio, newspapers, you would never read or hear about anything else, as if there was a world war going on.
头条新闻,广播,报纸,你不会读到或听到其他任何东西,仿佛是处在一场世界大战中。
But no one ever talked about it.
但是没有人谈论这些。
If burning fossil fuels was so bad that it threatened our very existence, how could we just continue like before?
如果燃烧化石燃料后果如此严重,会威胁到我们的生存,我们怎么还能像以前一样?
Why were there no restrictions? Why wasn't it made illegal?
为什么没有限制?为什么将其不列为非法的?
To me, that did not add up. It was too unreal. So when I was 11, I became ill.
对我来说,那并不合理。那太不真实了。当我11岁时,我生病了。
I fell into depression, I stopped talking, and I stopped eating.
我陷入了抑郁,我不想说话,我不想吃饭。
In two months, I lost about 10 kilos of weight.
在两个月内,我掉了大约10公斤的体重。
Later on, I was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome, OCD and selective mutism.
后来,我被诊断出患有亚斯伯格症候群,强迫症和选择性缄默症。
That basically means I only speak when I think it's necessary -- now is one of those moments.
这基本上意味着我只在我认为有必要时说话--现在就是其中一刻。
For those of us who are on the spectrum, almost everything is black or white.
对于我们这些孤独症患者,几乎所有东西都是非黑即白的。
We aren't very good at lying, and we usually don't enjoy participating in this social game that the rest of you seem so fond of.
我们不善于说谎,而且我们通常不喜欢参加这样的社交活动,不过你们似乎都很喜欢。
I think in many ways that we autistic are the normal ones,
我想在很多方面,我们自闭的人才是正常的,
and the rest of the people are pretty strange, especially when it comes to the sustainability crisis,
而其他人都很奇怪,特别是在可持续发展危机方面,
where everyone keeps saying climate change is an existential threat and the most important issue of all,
每个人都在说气候变化是一种生存威胁,是当务之急的问题,
and yet they just carry on like before.
然而他们依然如故。
I don't understand that, because if the emissions have to stop, then we must stop the emissions.
我不明白为什么那样,因为如果必须停止排放,我们就该停止排放。
To me that is black or white. There are no gray areas when it comes to survival.
对我来说那就是非黑即白的事。在生存方面没有灰色地带。
Either we go on as a civilization or we don't. We have to change.
要么我们的文明得以延续,要么不复存在。我们必须改变。
Rich countries like Sweden need to start reducing emissions by at least 15 percent every year.
像瑞典这样的富裕国家需要开始减少排放,每年至少减少15%。
And that is so that we can stay below a two-degree warming target.
这样我们可以将温度增长控制在2度以内。
Yet, as the IPCC have recently demonstrated, aiming instead for 1.5 degrees Celsius would significantly reduce the climate impacts.
然而,正如IPCC(政府间气候变化专门委员会)最近发布的那样,如果将温度增长控制在1.5摄氏度以内,则会大大减少气候影响。
But we can only imagine what that means for reducing emissions.
但我们只能想象这对减排意味着什么。
You would think the media and every one of our leaders would be talking about nothing else, but they never even mention it.
你会以为媒体,还有每一位领导人该不再谈论别的,但他们甚至从未提过。
Nor does anyone ever mention the greenhouse gases already locked in the system.
也没有人提过温室气体已经被锁在大气中。
Nor that air pollution is hiding a warming so that when we stop burning fossil fuels,
也不提空气污染隐含了变暖,即便我们停止燃烧化石燃料,
we already have an extra level of warming perhaps as high as 0.5 to 1.1 degrees Celsius.
我们也会遭遇额外的变暖,大约为0.5至1.1摄氏度。
Furthermore does hardly anyone speak about the fact that we are in the midst of the sixth mass extinction,
此外,几乎没有人谈论我们正处于第六次大规模灭绝之中,
with up to 200 species going extinct every single day,
每天有多达200个物种灭绝,
that the extinction rate today is between 1,000 and 10,000 times higher than what is seen as normal.
今天的灭绝率比正常情况高出1000甚至10000倍。

应对气候变化迫在眉睫

Nor does hardly anyone ever speak about the aspect of equity or climate justice,

几乎没有人谈论气候方面的公平和正义,
clearly stated everywhere in the Paris Agreement, which is absolutely necessary to make it work on a global scale.
而这些在《巴黎协定》中都有明确说明,使其在全球范围内发挥作用是绝对必要的。
That means that rich countries need to get down to zero emissions within 6 to 12 years, with today's emission speed.
那意味着富裕的国家,需要在6至12年内从今天的排放量降至零排放。
And that is so that people in poorer countries can have a chance to heighten their standard of living
这样贫穷国家的人们才有机会提高他们的生活水平,
by building some of the infrastructure that we have already built,
通过建造一些我们已经构建的基础设施,
such as roads, schools, hospitals, clean drinking water, electricity, and so on.
如道路,学校,医院,干净的饮用水,电,等等。
Because how can we expect countries like India or Nigeria to care about the climate crisis
因为我们怎么可以去期待印度或尼日利亚之类的国家去关心气候危机,
if we who already have everything don't care even a second about it or our actual commitments to the Paris Agreement?
若已经拥有一切的我们对此毫不关心,也不对《巴黎协定》付诸行动?
So, why are we not reducing our emissions? Why are they in fact still increasing?
那么,为什么我们不减少排放?为什么排放实际上还在增加?
Are we knowingly causing a mass extinction? Are we evil? No, of course not.
我们是否故意造成大规模灭绝?我们是邪恶的吗?不,当然不。
People keep doing what they do because the vast majority doesn't have a clue about the actual consequences of our everyday life,
人们继续做他们做的事,因为绝大多数人都不知道我们日常生活的实际后果,
and they don't know that rapid change is required.
他们不知道需要尽快改变。
We all think we know, and we all think everybody knows, but we don't. Because how could we?
我们都以为我们知道,我们都以为每个人都知道,但我们没有。因为我们怎么会呢?
If there really was a crisis, and if this crisis was caused by our emissions, you would at least see some signs.
如果确实存在危机,如果这种危机是由我们的排放造成的,你至少该看到一些迹象。
Not just flooded cities, tens of thousands of dead people, and whole nations leveled to piles of torn down buildings.
不只是城市被水淹没,成千上万的人丧生,整个国家一片废墟。
You would see some restrictions. But no. And no one talks about it.
你该会看到一些限制。但没有。没有人谈论它。
There are no emergency meetings, no headlines, no breaking news.
没有紧急会议,没有头条新闻,没有突发新闻。
No one is acting as if we were in a crisis.
没有人表现得好像我们处于危机之中。
Even most climate scientists or green politicians keep on flying around the world, eating meat and dairy.
甚至大多数气候科学家和绿色政治家继续在飞越世界各地,吃肉和乳制品。
If I live to be 100, I will be alive in the year 2103.
如果我能活到100岁,我将活到2103年。
When you think about the future today, you don't think beyond the year 2050.
你们今天想未来时,往往想不到2050年以后。
By then, I will, in the best case, not even have lived half of my life.
但到那时,在最好的情况下,我还没有度过生命的一半。
What happens next? The year 2078, I will celebrate my 75th birthday.
然后呢?2078年,我将庆祝我75岁的生日。
If I have children or grandchildren, maybe they will spend that day with me.
如果我有孩子或孙子孙女,也许他们会和我一起度过那一天。
Maybe they will ask me about you, the people who were around, back in 2018.
也许他们会问我关于你们的事,2018年的人们。
Maybe they will ask why you didn't do anything while there still was time to act.
也许他们会问为什么你们什么都不做,即使还有时间采取行动。
What we do or don't do right now will affect my entire life and the lives of my children and grandchildren.
我们现在做或不做什么会影响我的一生以及我的孩子和孙子孙女的生活。
What we do or don't do right now, me and my generation can't undo in the future.
无论我们现在做或不做什么,我和我这一代人在未来都无法弥补。
So when school started in August of this year, I decided that this was enough.
所以在今年8月份开学时,我觉得该是时候了。
I set myself down on the ground outside the Swedish parliament.
我把自己置于瑞典议会外的场地上。
I school striked for the climate. Some people say that I should be in school instead.
我为气候罢课。有人说我应该去上学。
Some people say that I should study to become a climate scientist so that I can "solve the climate crisis."
有人说我应该学习成为气候科学家,这样我就可以“解决气候危机”。
But the climate crisis has already been solved.
但气候危机已经解决了。
We already have all the facts and solutions.
我们已经掌握了所有的事实和解决方案。
All we have to do is to wake up and change.
我们所要做的是觉醒并改变。
And why should I be studying for a future that soon will be no more when no one is doing anything whatsoever to save that future?
现在没有人为挽救未来做任何事,那么为什么我要为一个很快不复存在的未来学习呢?
And what is the point of learning facts in the school system
在教育系统中学习还有什么意义呢,
when the most important facts given by the finest science of that same school system clearly means nothing to our politicians and our society.
如果教育系统内最优秀的科学所提供事实都明显对我们的政治家和社会毫无影响。
Some people say that Sweden is just a small country, and that it doesn't matter what we do,
有人说瑞典只是一个小国,我们做什么并不重要,
but I think that if a few children can get headlines all over the world just by not coming to school for a few weeks,
但我想如果有几个孩子可以登上全世界的头条新闻,只是罢课几周,
imagine what we could all do together if you wanted to.
想象一下,如果你们愿意,我们可以一起。
Now we're almost at the end of my talk, and this is where people usually start talking about hope,
现在我的演讲快结束了,一般这时候人们开始畅想希望,
solar panels, wind power, circular economy, and so on, but I'm not going to do that.
太阳能电池板,风力发电,循环经济等等,但我不打算这样做。
We've had 30 years of pep-talking and selling positive ideas. And I'm sorry, but it doesn't work.
30年来,我们一直在讲鼓舞士气的话。但我很抱歉那些没起作用。
Because if it would have, the emissions would have gone down by now.
因为如果有用,排放量现在应该已经下降了。
They haven't. And yes, we do need hope, of course we do.
但它们没有。是的,我们确实需要希望,当然,我们需要。
But the one thing we need more than hope is action. Once we start to act, hope is everywhere.
但我们需要的不仅仅是希望而是行动。一旦我们开始行动,希望无处不在。
So instead of looking for hope, look for action. Then, and only then, hope will come.
所以与其期待希望,不如期待行动。那样,只有那样,希望才会到来。
Today, we use 100 million barrels of oil every single day.
今天,我们每天使用1亿桶石油。
There are no politics to change that. There are no rules to keep that oil in the ground.
没有政策可以改变这一点。没有规定将石油封存在地下。
So we can't save the world by playing by the rules, because the rules have to be changed.
所以我们不能通过遵守规则拯救世界,因为规则必须改变。
Everything needs to change -- and it has to start today. Thank you.
一切都需要改变--必须从今天开始。谢谢。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
survival [sə'vaivəl]

想一想再看

n. 生存,幸存者

联想记忆
acting ['æktiŋ]

想一想再看

n. 演戏,行为,假装 adj. 代理的,临时的,供演出

 
greenhouse ['gri:nhaus]

想一想再看

n. 温室,暖房

 
syndrome ['sindrəum]

想一想再看

n. 综合症,典型表现

联想记忆
solve [sɔlv]

想一想再看

v. 解决,解答

 
spectrum ['spektrəm]

想一想再看

n. 光谱,范围,系列

联想记忆
haven ['heivn]

想一想再看

n. 港口,避难所,安息所 v. 安置 ... 于港中,

联想记忆
social ['səuʃəl]

想一想再看

adj. 社会的,社交的
n. 社交聚会

 
circular ['sə:kjulə]

想一想再看

adj. 循环的,圆形的
n. 传单,通报

联想记忆
celebrate ['selibreit]

想一想再看

v. 庆祝,庆贺,颂扬

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。