First Name Is OK
名字也好啦
The boss of a large company noticed a new employee one day and told him to come into his office.
一天,一家大公司的老板注意到一个新来的雇员,于是把他叫到办公室来。
"What is your name?" was the first thing the boss asked the new guy.
“你叫什么名字?”老板先问道。
"John," the new guy replied.
“约翰,”新来的答道。
The boss scowled, "Look, I don't mind what kind of a place you worked at before, but I don't call anyone by their first name! It breeds familiarity and that leads to a breakdown in authority."
老板皱着眉头说:“听着,我不管你以前在什么样的地方工作,可是我们这不会用名字称呼一个人!那样叫法是会有亲切感,但是会导致权威的丧失。”
"I refer to my employees by their last name only--Smith, James, Henry--that's all."
“我只以姓氏来称呼我的员工——史密斯、詹姆斯、亨利——就是这样,没什么可说的。”
"I am to be referred to only as Mr. Hilton."
“你要称呼我为希尔顿先生。”
"Now that we got that straight, what is your last name?"
“现在告诉我你的姓氏是什么?”
The new guy sighed and said, "Darling. My name is John Darling."
新来的叹了一口气说:“我姓达林。我叫约翰·达林。”
"Okay, John, the next thing I want to tell you is..."
“好吧,约翰,下面我要说的是……”