Miss Fanny.Thank you for coming, Mr. President.
范妮小姐 感谢您来看望家父 总统先生
How could I stay away when my Secretary of State is rendered in such a way as he cannot but listen?
我的国务卿现在只能听别人讲话 我在千里之外又岂能高枕无忧
I have worked my own hand as hard as at sawing wood,
我已经将自己的手 锻炼得像木头一样硬朗
so many others' hands have I shaken.I've been to Libby Prison.
我握过了好多人的手 我去过利比监狱
General Weitzel asked me point-blank how to treat the defeated Confederate soldiers.
韦策尔将军直接了当地问我 会怎样对待战败的邦联士兵
I told him to let them up easy.
我跟他说 放他们走
My old friend.It is close to 10:00 p.m.
我的老朋友 晚上10点左右
when Secretary of War Stanton delivers to Lincoln the telegram reporting that Robert E. Lee has surrendered.
陆军部长斯坦顿给林肯发了一封电报 报告罗伯特·E·李已投降
The next day, Washington City is in full celebration.
第二天 华盛顿全城欢庆
A crowd gathers in front of the White House to serenade Lincoln and to call for him to speak.
一群人聚集在白宫门口 为林肯奏乐 并请求他发表演讲
He politely promises a speech the next night,
他礼貌地答应第二天晚上会发表演讲
and requests that the band play the Confederate anthem.
并要求乐队演奏邦联国歌
He asks them to play "Dixie."
他要求乐队演奏《迪克西》