手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 全球顶级智囊访谈 > 正文

群体是治疗抑郁症的最佳药方

来源:可可英语 编辑:Daisy   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

There’s a really heartbreaking study that asked Americans, “How many close friends do you have that you can call on in a crisis?”

有一项令人心碎的研究 调查过美国人“你遇到危机情况时 有多少亲密朋友可以求助”

And when they started doing it decades ago the most common answer was five.

几十年前他们开始做这项研究的时候 最常见的答案是五个

Today the most common answer is none.

现在最常见的答案是没有

It’s not the average but it’s the most common answer.

不是平均数 而是最常见的

And I thought a lot about that in so many of the places I’ve been in the United States.

在我去过的美国的很多地方 我都想过这件事

142.png

I interviewed and got to know an incredible man called Professor John Cacioppo, a world expert on loneliness.

我接见也认识了一位很了不起的人 叫约翰·卡乔波教授 他是孤独方面的世界级专家

He’s at the University of Chicago.

他在芝加哥大学任教

And Professor Cacioppo explained to me, you know, if you think about the circumstances where human beings evolved, right, we evolved—

卡乔波教授跟我解释 如果你想想人类进化的环境 我们进化——

the reason why you’re able to watch this through your laptop or wherever you’re watching it,

为什么你可以通过电脑来看这个视频 或者不管你在哪里看

the reason why we exist is because our ancestors on the savannahs of Africa were really good at one thing.

我们之所以存在是因为我们位于非洲大草原上的祖先们非常擅长一件事

They weren’t bigger than the animals they took down but they were much better at cooperating than them.

他们不像他们猎捕的动物那般高大 但他们远比那些动物要懂得合作

Every human instinct human beings have is to be part of a cooperative tribe, right.

每个人类拥有的直觉就是要成为一个合作群体的一部分 对吧

Bees need a hive. Humans need a tribe.

蜜蜂需要蜂巢 人类需要群体

And if you think about the circumstances where human beings evolved,

如果你想想人类进化的环境

if you were separated from the group you would become depressed and anxious for an incredibly good reason.

如果你从这个群体中被孤立出去 你就会变得沮丧焦虑 这是很有道理的

You were in terrible danger. You were probably about to die.

你会极度危险 可能会死掉

Those are the instincts we still have.

这些直觉我们现在依然有

Yet we’ve told ourselves a story that we can live without tribes.

但我们却给自己讲故事 告诉我们离了群体也能活

We are the first human beings ever to try to live without communities, to imagine that like some cowboy on the horizon—

我们是第一批试着离开群体独自存活的人类 去想象远方地平线上的某个牧童——

and even the cowboys didn’t do it this way—we can live alone, we can be alone.

即便牧童也不是这么做的——我们可以独自生活 我们可以孤身一人

That’s not the species we are.

我们并不是那样的物种

And it’s causing, and Professor Cacioppo has proven that this loneliness epidemic is one of the key causes of the epidemic of depression and anxiety that we have across our society.

它会导致 卡乔波教授证明了这种孤独流行病是导致全社会抑郁和焦虑流行病的一个主要原因

And I was really interested to find out well, who has acted on that?

我很想知道 谁对此采取了行动?

Who has tried to find an antidepressant for the loneliness crisis?

谁试图为这种孤独危机寻求抗抑郁药方?

I met an incredible man, one of the heroes of my book Lost Connections called Sam Everington.

我认识了一位很厉害的人 就是我Lost Connections这本书中的一位英雄 萨姆·埃弗林顿

Sam is a doctor in East London, one of the poorest parts of East London actually where I lived for many years.

萨姆是东伦敦的一名医生 其实是东伦敦最穷的一个地方 我还在那里住了很多年

And Sam was really uncomfortable because he had loads of patients coming to him who were depressed and anxious.

当时萨姆感觉很糟糕 因为有大量抑郁焦虑的病人去找他

And he had been told in his training even though he knew the science was much more sophisticated than this to tell people,

即便他知道这背后的科学要复杂得多 但他受到的培训就是告诉人们

“Well you feel this way because you’ve got a chemical imbalance in your brain,” and just give them drugs.

“你有这种感觉是因为你大脑中的化学物质失去了平衡” 然后直接给他们开药就行了

Like me, Sam is not opposed to those drugs.

跟我一样 萨姆并不反对给药

He’s in favor of them but he just thought this is not enough.

他支持用药 但他觉得这还远远不够

This isn’t solving the reason why these people are depressed and anxious.

药物并不能解决这些人抑郁焦虑的根源

He could see how lonely and cut-off they were.

他能看出来他们有多名孤独和憔悴

So he pioneered a different approach.

所以他率先发起了一种不同的方法

And I’ll tell you about it through one of the patients of his that I got to know.

我能告诉大家这些 是因为我遇到了他的一位病人

A woman called Lisa Cunningham came to Sam, and Lisa has been shut away in her home for seven years with crippling anxiety and depression.

一名叫丽莎·坎宁安的女子去找萨姆 丽莎已经七年不得进家门 这让她产生了严重的焦虑和抑郁

She came to Sam and Sam said to her, “Don’t worry Lisa, I’ll give you the drugs, whatever you need.

她来找萨姆 萨姆跟她说“别担心丽莎 我给你开药 什么药都行

I’m also going to prescribe something different.

我还要给你开点不一样的东西

I’m going to prescribe for you to take part in a group.

我给你开的药方就是去加入一个群体

There was an area behind the doctor’s surgery that was known as “dog crap alley”, right.

医生的手术室后面有一个叫做“狗屎巷”的地方

Because you can sense what it was like, they didn’t really use the word “crap,” I’m being polite. Just an area of scrubland.

你能闻到那种味道 他们并不真用“屎”这个字 我只是出于礼貌 就是一片灌木丛区

And what Sam said is what I’d like you to do is twice a week I’d like you to meet with a group of other depressed and anxious people.

萨姆说的是 我想让你每周去见两次另外一群抑郁焦虑的人

We’ll turn out and support you.

我们会去支持你

And I’d like you to just turn this into something beautiful.

我想让你把这变成一件很美好的事

The first meeting Lisa was literally physically sick with anxiety.

第一次见面时 丽莎因为焦虑出现恶心

Many of the other people there were shaking.

其他很多人都在颤抖

And they started talking to each other.

然后他们开始互相交流

They didn’t know anything about gardening.

他们对园艺一无所知

They were inner city people from East London.

他们是东伦敦市中心的人

As the weeks and months and then years went by, they taught themselves gardening.

随着每周 每月 每年的流逝 他们自己学会了园艺

They had something to talk about that wasn’t how terrible they felt.

他们终于有了感觉不那么糟的事情可以谈论

They could reconnect with the natural world.

他们可以与自然世界重新连接

There’s incredible evidence that interacting with the natural world is one of the most powerful natural antidepressants we have.

很多证据表明与自然界相互作用是我们最强大最天然的抗抑郁剂

And, as human beings do when we’re in groups, they started to solve each other’s problems.

正如人类那样 当我们身处一个群体中 就会开始解决别人遇到的问题

There was a guy in the group who was sleeping on the night bus.

群体中有一个人在夜间巴士上睡觉

Lisa thought, “Well, of course, you’re depressed, you’re sleeping on a bus!”

丽萨心想 “难怪你会抑郁 你连睡觉的地方都没有”

She was outraged. Her and some other people in the group started pressuring the local authorities to get him housing.

她很愤怒 她和群体中的其他人开始给当地政府施压 让他们给他提供住宿

They succeeded. It was the first thing they’d done for someone else in years.

他们成功了 这是他们多年来为别人做的第一件事

It made them feel better than doing anything for themselves.

这让他们感觉比为自己做任何事还要开心

And the way Lisa put it to me: As the flowers began to bloom, they began to bloom.

丽莎跟我说的原话是:当花朵开始绽放时 他们也开始绽放了

There was a study in Norway which is part of a great body of research of a very similar program that found it was more than twice as effective as chemical antidepressants.

挪威有一项研究 是一项很相似的项目的研究机构的一部分 研究发现这比化学抗抑郁药的效果好两倍

I think for obvious reasons.

我觉得原因显而易见

It’s dealing with the reasons why they were so depressed and anxious in the first place.

这种方法解决的是他们抑郁和焦虑的根本原因

Everywhere I went in the world I found the most effective strategies for depression and anxiety were the places that were dealing with these deeper causes.

世界上我所到的每一个地方 我发现抑郁和焦虑治疗最有效的地方就是那些治疗这些深层次原因的地方

重点单词   查看全部解释    
depression [di'preʃən]

想一想再看

n. 沮丧,萧条

联想记忆
instinct ['instiŋkt]

想一想再看

adj. 充满的
n. 本能,天性,直觉

联想记忆
surgery ['sə:dʒəri]

想一想再看

n. 外科,外科手术,诊所

 
opposed [ə'pəuzd]

想一想再看

adj. 反对的,敌对的 v. 和 ... 起冲突,反抗

 
cooperative [kəu'ɔpərətiv]

想一想再看

adj. 合作的,共同的
n. 合作社

 
depressed [di'prest]

想一想再看

adj. 沮丧的,降低的,不景气的,萧条的,凹陷的,扁平

联想记忆
sophisticated [sə'fistikeitid]

想一想再看

adj. 诡辩的,久经世故的,精密的,老练的,尖端的

联想记忆
dealing ['di:liŋ]

想一想再看

n. 经营方法,行为态度
(复数)dealin

 
imbalance [im'bæləns]

想一想再看

n. 不平衡,失调

 
solve [sɔlv]

想一想再看

v. 解决,解答

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。