手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 科学秀 > 正文

多相睡眠模式二三事

来源:可可英语 编辑:Ceciliya   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Conventional wisdom says we're supposed to get 8 hours of sleep a night.

传统智慧表示我们晚上应该睡足八小时。
Fewer of us actually do, with the CDC reporting that a third of American adults snooze for less than 7.
但是很少有人能做到,疾病防治中心报告显示三分之一美国人的睡眠不足七小时。
Now, the current consensus from sleep researchers is that we need to sleep for long enough,
现在睡眠研究人员一致认为人类需要足够长的睡眠时间,
continuously enough, and deeply enough to receive the proper benefits of sleep.
连续充足的、深沉充足的睡眠才能实现睡眠的适当益处。
And that's a long list of benefits… like top cognitive performance, proper storage of memories,
好处有很多...比如高度认知能力、记忆力
or avoiding health problems like high blood pressure and obesity. We need sleep.
或是避免一些健康问题,比如高血压和肥胖症。我们需要睡眠。
But some people try to break their sleep into chunks instead of getting a single — or monophasic — stretch of Z's.
但是有些人试图将他们的睡眠时间分成几块而不是单一的或单相的睡眠。
Despite the trends, there's not much scientific evidence to suggest polyphasic sleep is better than monophasic.
尽管有这种趋势,但是还没有多少科学证据能够证明多阶段睡眠比单相睡眠更好。
And some polyphasic sleep patterns are distinctly worse. We don't fully understand how sleep works.
并且一些多阶段睡眠模式明显更加糟糕。我们并不完全理解睡眠如何起作用。
The leading model for why and when you sleep is called the two-process model.
人类为何以及什么时候睡觉的主导模式被称为双机制理论。
It states that there are two, well, processes going on in your brain that dictate how sleepy you are at any given time.
双机制理论是指在你的大脑中有两种进程,它们在某一时段影响你的疲倦程度。
One, called process C, is a product of your circadian rhythm, or the attunement of your brain to the cycle of day and night.
一种进程被称为进程C,这是生理节律的产物,或者是你大脑昼夜循环的协调。
Your biological clock is run out of your brain's anterior hypothalamus.
生物钟消耗大脑的前下丘脑。
It ticks along in response to light, and makes you sleepier at night.
它按照灯光的指使运转,让你在夜晚更加昏昏欲睡。
The other, called process S, is homeostatic, which is to say it reflects the need for your body to maintain a steady state in all things.
另一种被称为进程S,它是恒定性的,这是指它能够反应身体的需求以维持状态的稳定。
We don't know what exactly regulates process S,
我们不知道进程S受什么的控制,
but it may have to do with the buildup and clearing out of chemicals like adenosine in your brain.
但是它或许和大脑中的某些化学物质,如腺甘酸的增强和清除有关。
The longer you're awake, the more sleepy process S makes you.
你清醒的时间越长,进程S就会让你更加困倦。
And the longer you're asleep, the more likely it is to wake you up.
你睡眠的时间越长,它就越有可能会唤醒你。
While scientists are still revising the two-process model, those basic parts do seem to explain why we sleep for a long time at night.
而科学家们仍然在校正双机制理论,那些基础部分似乎确实能够解释为什么人类在夜晚能睡那么长时间。
Process S and process C can change as you get older, and they operate independently from one another.
进程S和C能够随着年龄增长而改变,它们独立运作互补干扰。
So it's possible to separate your sleeping patterns from the pattern of sunrise and sunset.
因此,要将你的睡眠模式和日出日落模式相分离是不可能的。
And scientists use this fact to study sleep by placing subjects on an altered schedule.
科学家们利用这个事实并通过改变主体的日程表研究睡眠。
In one oft-cited 1992 study published in the Journal of Sleep Research,
经常被引用的是1992年发表于《睡眠研究期刊》一项研究,
7 participants were placed on a schedule with 10 hours of light and 14 hours of darkness.
给七名参与者设定一个日程表—十小时的光明与十小时的黑暗。
Over the course of several weeks, they eventually took to sleeping in two blocks during the dark period, with a few hours awake in between.
几个星期后,他们最终在黑暗期内的两个时间段入睡,两个时间段之间有几个小时的清醒时间。
This, combined with historical knowledge, is sometimes used to suggest that
这个研究有时和历史知识相结合,用于表明
humans naturally adopted a biphasic sleeping pattern in the days before we had electric lights to keep us up.
在有电灯照明之前,人类会本能地采取双向睡眠模式。
The idea of breaking up sleep into a polyphasic pattern, though, has been taken to some extremes.
将睡眠分成多相模式的这个想法有些极端。
The scientist Buckminster Fuller somewhat infamously subscribed to the Dymaxion sleep schedule,
科学家巴克敏斯特·福乐同意Dymaxion睡眠时间表,
which involves 4 30-minute naps evenly spaced throughout a 24-hour period.
这个时间表包括将一天平均分成4个30分钟的小憩。
Some swear by similarly draconian napping schedules, like the Uberman, totaling only a couple hours of sleep per day.
一些类似的严厉睡眠时间表,比如Uberman睡眠计划,总共加起来每天只有几个小时的睡眠时间。

多相睡眠模式二三事

While others recommend longer "core" rests at night.

而其他人建议在晚上休息时间要更长一些。
Napping in the afternoon, or taking a siesta, is technically a polyphasic sleep schedule, and it's followed in many parts of the world.
在中午小憩或是午睡在学术上被称为多相睡眠时间表,世界很多国家都应用这种睡眠模式。
Breaking up your rests could work by affecting process S, basically resetting the make-you-sleepier ticker more often.
通过影响进程S,将你的睡眠分成几块也是起作用的,这基本上就是经常重置你的困倦指针。
However, polyphasic sleep isn't well studied.
但多相睡眠还未经过很好的研究。
When it is, it's in the context of shift work, like of people providing essential services in hospitals and fire stations.
要研究的时候,也是在倒班的情况下,比如在医院和消防站工作的人。
A 2014 study in the journal Chronobiology International argued that 12-hour shifts probably aren't great for productivity.
2014年发表于《国际时间生物学》上的一项研究争辩称12小时的倒班或许并不利于工作。
After 12 hours of work, people may suffer from decreased alertness —
工作12时候后,人们的警惕性或许会降低—
especially at night when their circadian rhythm is making them naturally sleepy.
尤其是在晚上,当他们的生理节律让他们自然而然地困倦。
Instead, the researchers proposed shorter schedules, like 6 hours on and 6 hours off, or 4 hours on and 8 hours off.
相反,研究人员提议更短的时间表,比如上班6小时和休息6小时或者4小时和8小时。
In the experiments they ran, 29 participants were put on a 28-hour schedule with at least 9 hours of time in bed.
在他们进行的实验中,29名参与者被安排了遵循28小时时间表,其中至少9小时在床上睡觉。
Half were on a conventional light-dark schedule and half were broken up, with periods of 4.6 hours of rest and 9.3 hours awake.
其中一半人遵循常规时间表而另一半人的常规则被打破,他们休息4.6小时,清醒的时间为9.3小时。
The two groups didn't differ in their performance on a test that measured their alertness and reaction times —
两组人在警惕性和反应时间的测试中的表现并没有不同—
even though participants on the split schedule sometimes reported feeling less alert.
即便遵循分段时间表的参与者有时称感觉自己的警惕性下降。
And this led the authors to suggest that shorter work shifts with shorter rest periods could help shift workers.
这让作者认为短时间工作换班加上短时间的休息时段能够帮助到这些倒班的工作人员。
However, it's important to note the participants still got in a solid one third of their "day" as rest.
但是,要注意的是参与者仍有三分之一的固定时间是在休息的。
Less than that and you enter the realm of sleep deprivation, which comes with a long list of symptoms like anxiety,
并且你还进入了睡眠剥夺的领域,随之而来的是一系列症状,比如焦虑、
irritability, poor reaction times, and longer-term health risks like high blood pressure and diabetes.
易怒、反应慢以及长期健康风险,比如高血压和糖尿病。
Some early sleep research failed to show any ill effects when participants slept for only 4 or 5 hours a day.
早期的一些睡眠研究并未表明一天只睡4到5小时的参与者患上了任何疾病。
But now, researchers think those experiments were poorly controlled.
但是现在研究人员认为那些试验并受到很好的控制。
And more recent studies show drop-offs in cognitive function when less than 7 hours are spent in bed.
最近越来越多研究表明睡眠不足7小时时,认知功能会急下降。
Even worse, you may not know how exhausted you are.
更糟糕的是,你甚至不知道自己有多么精疲力竭。
Some studies, including one from the journal Sleep in 2003,
一些研究,包括2003年《睡眠》期刊的那项研究
have found a disconnect between self-reported sleepiness and objective sleepiness as measured by electrical activity in the brain, with EEG.
发现当在利用脑电图描记器根据大脑中电活动测量时,自我报告的睡意和客观睡意之间出现断层。
Sleep-deprived people tended to think they were way better off than their scores on cognitive tests actually indicated.
睡眠被剥夺的人易于认为他们要好于在认知测试中的表现。
And while it might be okay to break up your sleep a little, researchers have also studied sleep fragmentation —
虽然将自己的睡眠分成小块也是可以的,但是研究人员也对睡眠片段进行了研究—
when you wake up too many times during your rest period.
即当你在休息的期间多次醒来的时候。
For instance, many researchers think that uninterrupted sleep is necessary to store memories properly.
例如,很多研究人员认为连续睡眠对于记忆力的存储是必要的。
A study published in 2012 in the journal PLOS One found that
2012年发表于《PLOS One》期刊的研究发现
subjects whose sleep was interrupted during a monophasic rest pattern had an impaired ability to form memories.
那些在单相睡眠模式下,睡眠被打断的人他们形成记忆能力受损。
So while we don't understand everything yet, it's clear that we need sleep to be our best selves.
所以虽然我们并非事事了解,但是很明显我们需要睡眠才能呈现最好状态。
And our brains definitely need more than two hours.
而我们的大脑需要的时间绝对不止两小时。
You can try to reprogram it if you want to, but it's at your own risk.
如果想试试的话,你也可以重组睡眠模式,但是结果由自己负责。
Thanks for watching this episode of SciShow!
感谢收看本期《科学秀》!
If you want to learn more about some groundbreaking discoveries biologists have made about sleep, check out our list show all about it!
如果你想了解更多关于生物学家所做的开创性睡眠发现,点击列表视频观看!
And if you just want to keep getting smarter with us, you can go to youtube.com/scishow and subscribe.
登录youtube.com/scishow订阅我们的频道,和我们一起积累智慧。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
episode ['episəud]

想一想再看

n. 插曲,一段情节,片段,轶事

联想记忆
operate ['ɔpəreit]

想一想再看

v. 操作,运转,经营,动手术

 
reaction [ri'ækʃən]

想一想再看

n. 反应,反作用力,化学反应

联想记忆
productivity [.prɔdʌk'tiviti]

想一想再看

n. 生产率,生产能力

联想记忆
function ['fʌŋkʃən]

想一想再看

n. 功能,函数,职务,重大聚会
vi. 运行

 
cognitive ['kɔgnitiv]

想一想再看

adj. 认知的,认识的,有认识力的

 
storage ['stɔridʒ]

想一想再看

n. 贮藏,存储,保管,保管费,仓库,[计]存储器

 
pressure ['preʃə]

想一想再看

n. 压力,压强,压迫
v. 施压

联想记忆
recommend [.rekə'mend]

想一想再看

vt. 建议,推荐,劝告
vt. 使成为可取,

联想记忆
fragmentation [,fræɡmen'teiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 破碎;分裂;存储残片

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。