手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED演讲视频 > 正文

从下陷的城市到能够抗洪的园林

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

At this very moment, with every breath we take, major delta cities across the globe are sinking,

此时此刻,我们每呼吸一口气,全球主要港口城市都下沉一点点,
including New York, London, Tokyo, Shanghai, New Orleans, and as well as my city, Bangkok.
包括纽约、伦敦、东京、上海、新奥尔良和我的城市曼谷。
Here is the usual version of climate change. This is mine. Nothing much, just a crocodile on the street.
这是气候变化最常见的版本。而这是我所看见的。这也没什么,就是一条鳄鱼出现在了大街上。
This is an urgent impact of climate change: over sinking cities.
这是气候变化带来的一个严重结果:我们的城市正在沉陷。
Here, you can see the urbanization of Bangkok, growing in every direction,
你可以看到曼谷的城区正在向四周扩大,
shifting from porous, agricultural land, the land that can breathe and absorb water -- to a concrete jungle.
从蓬松的耕地,能够呼吸空气和雨水的土地,变成了水泥的丛林。
This is what parts of it look like after 30 minutes of rainfall.
这就是在三十分钟的降雨后城市中部分地区的掠影。
And every time it rains, I wish my car could turn into a boat.
每次下雨,我都希望我的车能变成一艘小船。
This land has no room for water. It has lost its absorbent capacity.
这片土地已经水饱和了,失去了吸水的能力。
The reality of Bangkok's metropolitan region is a city of 15 million people living,
曼谷这座大都会城市汇集了一千五百万人,
working and commuting on top of a shifting, muddy river delta.
他们工作、生活和通勤在这个会移动的和布满淤泥的河岸上。
Bangkok is sinking more than one centimeter per year, which is four times faster than the rate of predicted sea level rise.
曼谷每年都会下沉超过1厘米,这比海平面上升的速度高出了4倍。
And we could be below sea level by 2030, which will be here too soon.
到2030年,这座城市可能会低于海平面,没有多少时间了。
There is no coincidence that I am here as a landscape architect.
作为景观设计师,我站在这里并不是偶然。
As a child, I grew up in a row house next to the busy road always filled with traffic.
小时候,我在一个繁忙公路旁的排屋长大。
In front of my house, there was a concrete parking lot, and that was my playground.
在屋子的前面,有一个水泥地的停车场,那里是我的游乐场。
The only living creature I would find, and had fun with,
我能发现的唯一生物,也是非常喜欢的,
were these sneaky little plants trying to grow through the crack of the concrete pavement.
就是在水泥地裂缝中悄悄生长的那些小小的绿色植物。
My favorite game with friends was to dig a bigger and bigger hole through this crack
我和朋友们最喜欢的游戏就是在这些裂缝中挖一个更大的坑,
to let this little plant creep out -- sneak out more and more.
让这些小植物能够生长,不断地爬出来。
And yes, landscape architecture gives me the opportunity to continue my cracking ambition to connect this concrete land back to nature.
是的,景观设计使我能够有机会继续实现我远大的目标,将水泥地与大自然融为一体。
Before, Thais -- my people -- we were adapted to the cycle of the wet and dry season, and you could call us amphibious.
以前,我们泰国人适应了干湿交替的季节变换。你可以说我们是水陆两栖。
We lived both on land and on water. We were adapted to both.
我们可以在陆地上和水上生活,两种环境都可以适应。
And flooding was a happy event, when the water fertilized our land. But now, flooding means ... disaster.
洪水是一件令人开心的事情,因为水能够滋养土地。但现在,洪涝却意味着...灾难。
In 2011, Thailand was hit by the most damaging and the most expensive flood disaster in our history.
在2011年,泰国历经了一场史上最严重,也是经济损失最大的洪涝灾害。
Flooding has turned central Thailand into an enormous lake.
这让泰国中心地区变成了一个巨大的湖泊。
Here, you can see the scale of the flood in the center of the image, to the scale of Bangkok, outlined in yellow.
你可以在图片中央看到这场洪水的规模,黄线标出的是曼谷地区。
The water was overflowing from the north, making its way across several provinces.
洪水从北部地区开始蔓延至好几个省区。
Millions of my people, including me and my family, were displaced and homeless.
数百万泰国人民,包括我和我的家人,都无家可归。
Some had to escape the city. Many were terrified of losing their home and their belongings,
有些人不得不逃离城市。很多人都害怕失去他们的房子和财产,
so they stayed back in the flood with no electricity and clean water.
所以他们留了下来,忍受着没有电和纯净水的日子。
For me, this flood reflects clearly that our modern infrastructure,
与我而言,这场洪水清晰地反映了我们的现代基础设施,
and especially our notion of fighting flood with concrete, had made us so extremely vulnerable to the climate uncertainty.
特别是我们用水泥建筑来抵御洪水的想法,已经让我们在变化多端的气候面前显得相当脆弱。
But in the heart of this disaster, I found my calling.
但也是在这场灾难中,我发现了自己的使命。
I cannot just sit and wait as my city continues to sink.
我不能眼睁睁地看着我的城市下沉。
The city needed me, and I had the ability to fix this problem.
我的城市需要我,而我也有能力解决这一问题。
Six years ago, I started my project. My teams and I won the design competition for Chulalongkorn Centenary Park.
六年前,我开始了我的项目。我和我的团队赢得了一个抗洪公园的设计比赛。

从下陷的城市到能够抗洪的园林

This was the big, bold mission of the first university in Thailand for celebrating its hundredth anniversary

这是为泰国第一所大学的百年校庆而开启的一项大胆而艰巨的任务,
by giving this piece of land as a public park to our city.
把这片土地变成一座城市公园。
Having a park sounds very normal to many other cities, but not in Bangkok,
在其他城市,有城市公园是一个很正常的事情,但曼谷却不同,
which has one of the lowest public green space per capita among megacities in Asia.
它是亚洲的超大型城市中人均公共绿色面积最低的城市之一。
Our project's become the first new public park in almost 30 years.
我们的项目成为了30年里第一个城市公园。
The 11-acre park -- a big green crack at the heart of Bangkok -- opened just last year. Thank you.
这个11英亩的公园--宛如曼谷中心的一道巨大绿色裂缝--在去年向公众开放了。谢谢!
For four years, we have pushed through countless meetings
四年中,我们开了无数次会议,
to convince and never give up to convincing that this park isn't just for beautification or recreation:
以努力确保这座公园不仅仅是为了美化或娱乐,
it must help the city deal with water, it must help the city confront climate change.
它必须能够帮助城市抗洪,必须能够帮助城市抵御气候变化。
And here is how it works. Bangkok is a flat city,
这个公园是这样运作的。曼谷位于平原上,
so we harnessed the power of gravity by inclining the whole park to collect every drop of rain.
因此我们让整个公园倾斜,来利用地吸引力收集雨水。
The gravity force pulls down the runoff from the highest point to the lowest point.
重力作用迫使雨水从最高点流向最低点。
This park has three main elements that work as one system. The first -- the green roof.
公园的这个排水系统由三个主要部分构成。第一个,绿色的屋顶。
This is the biggest green roof in Thailand, with the rainwater tanks and museum underneath.
这是泰国最大的绿色屋顶,有雨水收集器和地下博物馆。
In the dry season, the collected rain can be used to water the park for up to a month.
在干燥的季节里,收集的雨水可以灌溉公园一个月。
The runoff on the green roof then falls through wetlands with the native water plants that can help filter and help clean water.
绿色屋顶的雨水流过湿地区域,那里的水生植物能够过滤和净化水源。
And at the lower end, the retention pond collects all of the water.
在地势低洼的另一端,蓄水池塘收集所有的雨水。
At this pond, there are water bikes. People can pedal and help clean water.
在池塘里,有脚踏船。人们可以通过踩脚踏船来清洁池水。
Their exercise becomes an active part of the park water system.
这些活动成为了公园水系统的一个活跃部分。
When life gives you a flood, you have fun with the water.
如果生活给你洪水,你就在水中嬉戏。
Centenary Park gives room for people and room for water, which is exactly what we and our cities need.
这座纪念公园给了人和水空间,这正是我们和城市所需要的。
This is an amphibious design. This park is not about getting rid of flood.
这是一个水陆融合的设计。这座公园的用途并不在于消除洪水。
It's about creating a way to live with it. And not a single drop of rain is wasted in this park.
而在于创造一种与雨水共生的方式。在这座公园里,没有一滴雨水会被浪费掉。
This park can hold and collect a million gallons of water. Thank you.
它可以容纳一百万加仑的雨水。谢谢。
Every given project, for me, is an opportunity to create more green cracks through this concrete jungle
对我来说,每一个项目都是在水泥丛林中创造绿色裂缝的机会,
by using landscape architecture as a solution, like turning this concrete roof into an urban farm, which can help absorb rain;
用景观设计作为解决方案,就像把这个水泥屋顶变为城市农场,能够吸纳雨水;
reduce urban heat island and grow food in the middle of the city;
减少气候热岛效应,并在城市中央种植粮食;
reuse the abandoned concrete structure to become a green pedestrian bridge;
再利用废弃钢筋结构来建造绿色步行桥;
and another flood-proof park at Thammasat University,
位于福井大学的另一座抗洪公园,
which nearly completes the biggest green roof on an academic campus yet in Southeast Asia.
几乎是整个东南亚地区最大的校园绿色屋顶。
Severe flooding is our new normal, putting the southeast Asian region
严重洪涝已成为日常,这让东南亚地区,
the region with the most coastline -- at extreme risk. Creating a park is just one solution.
世界上拥有最长海岸线的地区,陷入了危险之中。建造公园只是一个解决方案。
The awareness of climate change means we, in every profession we are involved,
对气候变化的意识意味着来自各行各业的我们,
are increasingly obligated to understand the climate risk and put whatever we are working on as part of the solution.
都有更多义务去了解气候变化的风险,并在我们的工作中寻找解决方案。
Because if our cities continue the way they are now, a similar catastrophe will happen again ... and again.
因为如果我们的城市像这样继续下沉,灾难会不断地重复上演。
Creating a solution in these sinking cities is like making the impossible possible.
在下陷的城市里创造一个解决方案,就如同把不可能变为可能。
And for that, I would like to share one word that I always keep in mind, that is, "tangjai."
为此,我想分享我始终铭记在心的一个词,那就是“tangjai”。
The literal translation for "tang" is "to firmly stand," and "jai" means "heart."
“tang”可以翻译成“坚决支持”,“jai”的意思是“心”。
Firmly stand your heart at your goal. In Thai language, when you commit to do something,
坚持你心中的目标。在泰语中,当你心无旁骛地做某件事的时候,
you put tangjai in front of your word, so your heart will be in your action.
就在你说的话前加上“tangjai”,这样一来你就能够心有所向,言行一致。
No matter how rough the path, how big the crack, you push through to your goal, because that's where your heart is.
无论路途多么艰难,裂缝多么巨大,你会都着目标不断前行,因为那是你心之向往。
And yes, Thailand is home. This land is my only home, and that's where I firmly stand my heart.
是的,泰国是我的家。这片土地是我唯一的家,它是我所坚持的心中目标。
Where do you stand yours? Thank you. Thank you. Kòp kun ka.
你心中的目标又是什么呢?谢谢。谢谢。谢谢。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
capacity [kə'pæsiti]

想一想再看

n. 能力,容量,容积; 资格,职位
adj.

联想记忆
row [rəu,rau]

想一想再看

n. 排,船游,吵闹
vt. 划船,成排

 
uncertainty [ʌn'sə:tnti]

想一想再看

n. 不确定,不可靠,半信半疑 (学术)不可信度; 偏差

 
filter ['filtə]

想一想再看

n. 筛选,滤波器,过滤器,滤色镜
v. 过滤

联想记忆
severe [si'viə]

想一想再看

adj. 剧烈的,严重的,严峻的,严厉的,严格的

联想记忆
pedestrian [pi'destriən]

想一想再看

adj. 徒步的,缺乏想像的
n. 行人

联想记忆
competition [kɔmpi'tiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 比赛,竞争,竞赛

 
awareness [ə'wɛənis]

想一想再看

n. 认识,意识,了解

联想记忆
enormous [i'nɔ:məs]

想一想再看

adj. 巨大的,庞大的

联想记忆
architect ['ɑ:kitekt]

想一想再看

n. 建筑师

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。