手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > TED演讲视频 > 正文

我们看待生理性别的方式是错的

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

I have a vagina.

我有阴道。
Just thought you should know. That might not come as a surprise to some of you.
只是觉得应该要让你们知道。有些人应该不会感到惊讶。
I look like a woman. I'm dressed like one, I guess. The thing is, I also have balls.
我看起来像是女人,我想自己穿得也像女人。重点是,我也有睾丸。
And it does take a lot of nerve to come up here and talk to you about my genitalia. Just a little.
真的需要很大的胆量才能走上这个舞台,跟各位谈我的生殖器,只谈一点点。
But I'm not talking about bravery or courage. I mean literally -- I have balls.
但我不是要谈勇敢或勇气。我是说真的--我有睾丸。
Right here, right where a lot of you have ovaries. I'm not male or female. I'm intersex.
就在这里,就在许多人有卵巢的位置。我不是男性或女性,我是阴阳人。
Most people assume that you're biologically either a man or a woman, but it's actually a lot more complex than that.
大部分人都会假设,你在生理上不是男性就是女性,但其实没有那么简单。
There are so many ways somebody could be intersex.
有许多可能都会让一个人成为阴阳人。
In my case, it means I was born with XY chromosomes, which you probably know as male chromosomes.
就我来说,我出生时就有XY染色体,你们可能知道,这就是男性染色体。
And I was born with a vagina and balls inside my body.
我出生时,身体里面就有阴道和睾丸。
I don't respond to testosterone, so during puberty, I grew breasts, but I never got acne or body hair, body oil.
我对睾丸素没有反应,所以在青春期时,我的乳房开始发育,但我从来没有过青春痘、体毛、体油。
You can be jealous of that.
你们可以嫉妒一下。
But even though I don't actually have a uterus -- I was born without one, so I don't menstruate, I can't have biological children.
但即便如此,我也没有子宫,我生来就没有,所以我没有月经,我不能生孩子。
We put people in boxes based on their genitalia.
我们用生殖器来把人分类。
Before a baby's even born, we ask whether it's a boy or a girl, as if it actually matters;
在宝宝都还没生出来之前,我们就问是男孩还是女孩,好像这点真的很重要;
as if you're going to be less excited about having a baby if it doesn't have the genitals you wanted;
说得好像如果你的宝宝没有你想要的生殖器,你的兴奋就会打折似的;
as if what's between somebody's legs tells you anything about that person.
说得好像一个人两腿之间的东西能告诉你关于这人的一些事似的。
Are they kind, generous, funny? Smart? Who do they want to be when they grow up?
他们会是仁慈的?大方的?有趣的?聪明的?他们长大会想要成为什么人?
Genitals don't actually tell you anything. Yet, we define ourselves by them.
生殖器不能告诉你任何事。但我们却用生殖器来定义我们自己。
In this society, we love putting people into boxes and labeling each other.
在这个社会,我们喜欢把人分类,给彼此贴标签。
It kind of gives us a sense of belonging and teaches us how to interact with one another.
这样可以给我们一种归属感,并教导我们如何和彼此互动。
But there's one really big problem: biological sex is not black or white. It's on a spectrum.
但有个非常大的问题:生理性别并不是非黑即白,它是一个范围。
Besides your genitalia, you also have your chromosomes, your gonads, like ovaries or testicles.
除了生殖器,你也有染色体,也有生殖腺,比如卵巢或睾丸。
You have your internal sex organs, your hormone production,
你有内部性器官、你的荷尔蒙生成、
your hormone response and your secondary sex characteristics, like breast development, body hair, etc.
你的荷尔蒙反应,以及你的第二性征,比如乳房发育、体毛等等。
Those seven areas of biological sex all have so much variation, yet we only get two options: male or female.
生理性别的那七个领域,都有许多不同的可能,但我们却只有两种选项:男性或女性。
Which is kind of absurd to me,
对我来说蛮荒唐的,
because I can't think of a single other human trait that there's only two options for: skin color, hair, height, eyes.
因为我无法想出还有哪一种人类特性只有两个选项:肤色、头发、身高、眼睛。
You can either have nose A or nose B, that's it, no other options.
你只能有这种鼻子或那种鼻子,就这样,没其他选择。
If there are infinite ways for our bodies to look, our minds to think, personalities to act,
如果人类是千变万化的,不论是我们身体的外观、我们大脑的思想、个性的行为,
wouldn't it make sense that there's that much variety in biological sex, too?
那么生理性别也有许多种可能性,不是很合理吗?
Did you know that besides XX or XY chromosomes, you could have XX and XY chromosomes?
你们是否知道,除了XX或XY染色体,也可能同时有XX和XY染色体?
Or you could have an extra X -- XXY. Or two extra -- XXXY. Goes on from there.
或者也有可能多一个X--XXY,或者多两个--XXXY,以此类推。
And for those "normal" people with XX or XY, what does that mean? I have XY chromosomes.
那么,对于那些有XX或XY的“正常”人来说,这意味着什么?我有XY染色体。
If my DNA is found at the scene of a crime -- not saying it will, but, you know, we'll see.
如果在犯罪现场发现我的DNA--并不是说会发生这种事,但谁知道呢。
If my skeleton is discovered thousands of years from now, I'll be labeled male.
如果在几千年后发现我的骨骸,我会被归为男性。
Is that the truth? My balls would say so. But what about the rest of me?
那是真的吗?我的睾丸会说是。但我其他的部分呢?
And what if a woman has ovarian cancer and has to have her ovaries removed? Does she still qualify as a woman?
如果一名女子得了卵巢癌而把卵巢拿掉了呢?她还算是女人吗?
What about other intersex people who are born without balls or ovaries or with just one or a combination of the two?
那么其他的阴阳人呢,他们生来就没有睾丸或卵巢,或只有一个,或有两者的组合?
Where do they go? Do you have to have a uterus to be a woman? There's a lot of us who are born without one.
他们算什么?要有子宫才算是女人吗?我们有很多人生出来就没有子宫。
And everyone's favorite part, genitalia: you either have one or the other, right?
至于大家最爱的部位,生殖器:你只会有这种或另一种,对吧?
You either have a six-inch-long penis that's exactly this thick, jutting straight out of the body at a 90-degree angle,
你若不是有一根六英寸的阴茎,就这么粗,以九十度的角度伸出你的身体,
or you have a vagina that's this wide internally and a clitoris that's half an inch above the vaginal opening
要不然就是有个阴道,在体内有这么宽,还有个阴蒂,在阴道开口上方半英寸的位置,
and labia that look exactly like they're supposed to look like,
还有阴唇,有着它们应有的样子,
according to that one porn video you watched that one time. You know the one.
以你那次看过的色情片为标准。你知道哪部的。
If you've been with more than one sexual partner in your lifetime,
如果你一生中有不止一位性伴侣,
and you line them up, one by one, I guarantee you can identify them just by their genitalia.
你让他们排排站,我敢保证你光看他们的生殖器就能认出谁是谁。
Think about it. Go on.
想想看。想吧。
I see you. No judging. Just notice. All different, right?
我看到你了。没有评断。只是注意到了。都不一样,对吧?
The sex and gender binary are both so ingrained in our society, that we never stop to think about it.
性和性别的二元性在我们的社会中根深蒂固,深到我们从来没有停止去想它。
We just automatically place each other into one box or the other, as if it actually matters.
我们会很自动就把彼此归到某一类或另一类,好像这真的很重要似的。
Until somebody comes along to make you question it.
直到有人来点你一下,让你质疑它。
And if you're thinking that I'm the exception, an anomaly, an outlier: intersex people represent around two percent of the population.
如果你们认为我是个例外、异常特例、离群值:人口中大约有2%是阴阳人。
That's the same percentage as genetic redheads.
遗传红头发的人也占同样的比例。
It's about 150 million people, roughly, which is more than the entire population of Russia.
粗略来算,大约是一亿五千万人,这比俄罗斯的总人口数还多。
So there's a lot of us, needless to say. We're not new or rare. We're just invisible.
所以,不用说,我们人数很多。我们不是新出现的或罕见的,我们只是隐形了。
We've existed throughout every culture in history. Yet, we never talk about it.
在历史上,每个文化中都有我们这种人。但我们从来没有去谈它。
In fact, a lot of people might not know that they're intersex.
事实上,很多人可能不知道自己是阴阳人。
Have you had a karyotype test to determine your chromosomes?
你可曾做过染色体核型测试,来判断你的染色体?
What about a full blood panel for all of your hormone levels?
或是做过完整的血检,包含所有的荷尔蒙含量?
A friend of mine found out last year, in his 50s.
我一位朋友去年才发现,他已经五十多岁了。
The executive director of interACT, which is the leading organization for intersex human rights here in the US,
interACT是美国居领导地位的阴阳人人权组织,该组织的执行董事
she found out she was intersex at age 41.
在四十一岁时才发现她的阴阳人。
Her doctors found out when she was 15, but they didn't tell her.
她的医生在她十五岁时就发现了,但他们没有告诉她。
They lied and said that she had cancer, because that seemed like an easier option than finding out she wasn't "fully" a woman.
他们说谎,说她得了癌症,因为这个选择似乎比较容易接受,不用知道她并不是个“完整”的女人。
This kind of thing happens a lot, where intersex people are lied to or kept in the dark about our bodies,
这种状况很常发生,阴阳人听到谎言或是蒙在鼓里,并不知道他们身体的真相,
which comes as a surprise to a lot of people.
这点让很多人感到惊讶。
But we live in a society that doesn't talk about sex or bodies at all, unless it's to mock or shame each other.
但我们所处的社会完全不谈论性或是身体,除非是要嘲笑或羞辱彼此。

我们看待生理性别的方式是错的

I found out I was intersex at age 10, and for the most part, I was fine with that information.

我十岁时得知自己是阴阳人,大多数的情况下,我都能接受这项信息。
It didn't really faze me; I was still developing my understanding of the world.
它并没有烦扰我,我还在探索、了解这个世界。
It wasn't until I got older and realized I didn't fit society's expectations of me, that I didn't belong, that I was abnormal.
直到我长大些才发现,我并不符合社会对我的期望,发现我没有归属,发现我不正常。
And that's when the shame started.
那时,我开始感到羞耻。
How many times have you seen kids play with the "wrong" toys for their gender? Or try on the "wrong" clothes?
你们有看过多少次,孩子拿不符性别、“错”的玩具来玩?或穿“错”衣服?
All the time, right? Kids don't have these ideas about gender norm,
很常见,对吧?对于性别标准,孩子没有什么概念,
they don't have shame about who they're supposed to be or what they're supposed to like or love.
他们不会因为他们应该成为怎样的人、应该喜爱什么,而感到羞耻。
They don't care about any of this stuff. They don't have shame until we put it on them.
他们完全不在乎这些。他们没有羞耻,直到我们把羞耻加到他们身上。
I also had doctors lie to me. At age 10, they told me that I would also get cancer unless I removed my balls.
也有医生对我说谎。我十岁时,他们告诉我,若不把我的睾丸移除,我也会得癌症。
Then they proceeded to tell me that every year.
接下来他们每年都会这样告诉我。
Until today, there are still doctors who want me to remove them. But there's literally no reason.
至今,仍然有些医生会希望我把睾丸拿掉。但其实并没有任何理由。
If a typical XY male, like yourself, has testicles, and one is undescended,
典型的XY男性,就像你们,有睾丸,若其中一个睾丸是隐睪,
there's a high chance of it becoming cancerous -- or a higher chance of it becoming cancerous.
就有很高的可能性会致癌--或是有比较高的机会会致癌。
They need to thermoregulated. So they drop down away from the body to cool off, or they shrink back up to get warm.
它们需要温度调节。所以它们会落下来,远离身体以冷却,或是缩回去,以取得温暖。
Mine don't need to do that. They're not responding to testosterone, they're not producing sperm.
我的睾丸不用这么做。它们对睾丸素没有反应,它们不会产生精子。
They're fine right here inside my body.
在我的身体中,它们好好的。
Yet, because there's such a lack of information about intersex people, my doctors never understood the difference.
但因为关于阴阳人的信息很匮乏,我的医生从来没有搞懂这差别。
They never really understood my body.
他们从来没有真的了解过我的身体。
As I got older, I had another doctor tell me that I needed to have surgery on my vagina.
当我长大些,有另一位医生告诉我,我的阴道需要动手术。
She said that until I had an operation, until she operated, I would not be able to have "normal sex" with my husband one day.
她说,若我不接受手术,若她不给我动手术,将来我就无法和我先生有“正常的性交”。
Her words. I didn't end up going through with the operation, and I'm incredibly grateful for that.
这是她的用字。我最后没有动手术,谢天谢地。
I'm not here to talk about my sex life. But let's just say it's fine.
我不是来谈我的性生活的。但咱们就姑且说,我的性生活很好。
I'm fine, my body is fine. You actually wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between me and another person unless I told you;
我很好,我的身体很好。你们其实根本分辨不出我和其他人的差别,除非我告诉你们;
you wouldn't be able to tell that I was intersex unless I told you.
若我没说,你们不会知道我是阴阳人。
But again, because of the lack of understanding about bodies, my doctor didn't understand the difference.
但同样的,因为缺乏对身体的了解,我的医生不知道差别。
And for the most part, my sex life is fine.
大部分的时候,我的性生活很好。
The only issue that really comes up is that sometimes,
唯一会出现的议题,就是有时候,
sexual situations bring up memories of doctors touching me, over and over again since I was 10.
性情境会让我想起过去医生触碰我的记忆,从我十岁起,一而再再而三地触碰我。
I've been really lucky to escape -- I didn't think I would get emotional
我很幸运,我逃脱了--没想到我现在还会因此而情绪激动,
I've been really lucky to escape the physical harm that comes from these unnecessary surgeries.
我真的很幸运,逃离了身体的伤害,没有接受不必要的手术。
But no intersex person is free from the emotional harm that comes from living in a society that tries to cover up your existence.
但没有一个阴阳人没受到情绪的伤害,这伤害来自于生活在一个试图掩饰你存在的社会当中。
Most of my intersex friends have had operations like these.
我大部分的阴阳人朋友都接受过这类手术。
Oftentimes, they will remove testes like mine,
通常,他们会把跟我一样情况的睾丸拿掉,
even though my risk of testicular cancer is lower than the risk of breast cancer in a typical woman with no predisposition, no family history.
即使我得到睾丸癌的风险比一个无易染病体质和家庭病史的典型女性得乳癌的风险还低。
But we don't tell her to remove her breasts, do we?
但我们并不会叫她们把乳房拿掉,对吧?
It's rare to meet an intersex person that hasn't been operated on.
很少会遇到没有接受过手术的阴阳人。
Oftentimes, these surgeries are done to improve intersex kids' lives,
通常,这些手术的目的是要改善阴阳孩子的生活,
but they usually end up doing the opposite, causing more harm and complications, both physical and emotional.
但通常结果却是相反的,手术造成更多伤害和并发症,包括身体上和情绪上的。
I'm not saying that doctors are bad or evil.
我并不是说医生很坏或很邪恶。
It's just that we live in a society that causes some doctors to "fix" those of us who don't fit their definition of normal.
只是我们所处的社会,造成一些医生会要“修好”我们这样的人,因为我们不符合他们对于正常的定义。
We're not problems that need to be fixed. We just live in a society that needs to be enlightened.
我们并不是需要修好的问题,我们只是生活在一个需要被教导的社会中。
One of the ways I'm doing that is by creating a genderless puberty guidebook that can teach kids about their bodies as they grow up.
我的做法之一,就是创造一本无性别的青春期指南,在孩子成长的过程中,教导他们关于身体的知识。
Not their girl bodies or their boy bodies -- just their bodies.
不是谈女孩的身体,或男孩的身体--就只是谈他们的身体。
We often place unrealistic expectations on the things that our bodies do that are outside of our control.
我们身体能做什么,不是我们能控制的,但我们对此通常会有不实际的期望。
I mean, if one man can grow a full, luxurious, hipster beard,
如果一个男人可以长出非常浓密的绅士胡,
and the other can only grow a few mustache hairs, what does that mean about who they are as men? Nothing.
另一个男人只能长出几根胡须,对这两位男人是什么人,这有什么含义?没有。
It literally, most likely, just means that their hair follicles respond to testosterone in different ways.
唯一的含义就是,他们的毛囊对于睾丸素有不同的反应方式。
Yet, how many times have you heard a man ashamed about something like this?
但你可曾听过多少次,男人对此感到羞耻?
Imagine a world where we could live in a society that teaches us not to have shame about the things that our bodies do or do not do.
想象一个世界,我们所处的社会能教导我们不要因为我们的身体能做什么或不能做什么而感到羞耻。
I want to change the way that we think about biological sex in this society -- which is a lot to ask for.
我想要改变这个社会中我们对于生理性别的看法--这要求很多。
You could say it's ballsy, I guess.
我想,你可以说这要求很有种。
But eventually we accepted the world as round, right?
但最终我们都接受地球是圆的了,对吧?
We no longer diagnose gay people with mental disorders or women with hysteria.
我们不再认为同性恋是得了心理疾病,不再认为女人是歇斯底里的。
We don't think epilepsy is caused by the devil anymore, so that's cool.
我们不再认为癫痫是魔鬼造成的了,那很好。
We constantly change and evolve, the more we understand as a society.
我们不断在改变和进化,我们这个社会了解的越来越多。
And biological sex is on a spectrum. It's not black or white.
生理性别指的是一个范围,它不是黑白二分法。
Not only could that knowledge save intersex kids from physical and emotional harm, I think it would help everyone else, too.
这项知识不仅能拯救阴阳孩子,让他们免受身体和情绪的伤害,我认为它也能帮助所有其他人。
Who here has ever felt inadequate or ashamed because you weren't girly enough,
这里有谁曾经感到过格格不入或可耻,只因为你不够像女孩、
you were too girly, you weren't manly enough, or too manly?
你太像女孩、你不够阳刚,或你太阳刚?
We constantly shame people for not fitting into a box, but the reality is,
我们常会因为别人不符合某种类型,就让他感到羞愧,但现实是,
I think we shame others because it prevents them from seeing that we don't fit inside our boxes, either.
我们让他们感到羞愧,是因为这样做能预防他们发现我们其实也不符合我们所属的类型。
And the truth is that nobody actually fits in a box, because they don't exist.
事实是,没有任何人能符合一种类型,因为类型并不存在。
This binary, this false male-female facade is something we constructed, we built ourselves.
这种二元性,这种错误的男-女假象,是我们建立出来的,我们建立了我们自己。
But it doesn't have to exist. We can break it down.
但它并不需要存在。我们可以把它打破。
And that's what I want to do. Will you join me? Thanks.
那就是我想要做的。你们愿意加入我吗?谢谢。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
qualify ['kwɔlifai]

想一想再看

vt. 使合格,限定,描述
vi. 合格,取得

 
smart [smɑ:t]

想一想再看

adj. 聪明的,时髦的,漂亮的,敏捷的,轻快的,整洁的

 
inadequate [in'ædikwit]

想一想再看

adj. 不充分的,不适当的

 
remove [ri'mu:v]

想一想再看

v. 消除,除去,脱掉,搬迁
n. 去除

联想记忆
variation [.vɛəri'eiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 变化,变动,变种,变奏曲

 
skeleton ['skelitn]

想一想再看

n. 骨架,纲要,骨骼,骨瘦如柴的人或动物,家丑

 
norm [nɔ:m]

想一想再看

n. 标准,规范

 
identify [ai'dentifai]

想一想再看

vt. 识别,认明,鉴定
vi. 认同,感同身

 
respond [ris'pɔnd]

想一想再看

v. 回答,答复,反应,反响,响应
n.

联想记忆
diagnose ['daiəgnəuz]

想一想再看

v. 判断,诊断(疾病)

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。