手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED演讲视频 > 正文

女性在政治上取得的进步

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Nearly 100 years ago, almost today, most women in the United States finally won the right to vote.

大约在100年前的今天,美国的大部分女性最终赢得了选举权。
Now, it would take decades more for women of color to earn that right,
而有色人种的女性要花数十年来获得这项权利,
and we've come a long way since, but I would argue not nearly far enough.
我们现在已经取得了一定的进步,但我觉得我们做的还远远不够。
I think what women want today,
我觉得女性现在想要争取的是,
not just only in the United States but around the globe, is to no longer be an afterthought.
不仅仅是美国的女性,而是全世界的女性,不要让她们在事后才被想起来。
We don't want to continue to try to, like, look at the next 100 years and be granted,
我们不想再被不情不愿的保证说在接下来的100年里,
grudgingly, small legal rights and accommodations. We simply want true and full equality.
我们会获得小小的合法权利或是安置条件。我们想要的仅仅是真正的完全平等。
I think that women are tired of retrofitting ourselves into institutions and governments that were built by men, for men,
女性已经厌倦了为由男性为他们自己建立的政府机构做出改变,
and we'd rather reshape the future on our own terms.
我们更希望按照我们自己的标准来构建未来。
I believe -- I believe what we need is a women's political revolution for full equality across race,
我相信--我认为我们需要的是一场跨越种族、
across class, across gender identity, across sexual orientation, and yes, across political labels,
阶级、性别、性向当然还有政治身份的为追求完全平等而战的女性革命,
because I believe what binds us together as women is so much more profound than what keeps up apart.
因为我相信那些把我们女性联系在一起的东西比会让我们产生分歧的东西有意义的多。
And so I've given some thought about how to build this women's political revolution
所以我给出了一些如何进行这场女性政治革命的思路,
and that's what I want to talk to you about today.
这也是我今天想讲的内容。
The good news is that one thing that hasn't changed in the last century
好消息是,在过去的一百年间,有一件事从未改变,
is women's resilience and our commitment to build a better life not only for ourselves, but for generations to come,
女性的韧性和我们为自己、为子孙后代建设更美好生活的决心,
because I can't think of a single woman who wants her daughter to have fewer rights or opportunities than she's had.
因为我相信,没有任何一个人会希望自己的女儿可以得到的机会和权力会比自己得到的更少。
So we know we all stand on the shoulders of the women who came before us,
大家知道,我们现在都是站在女性前辈们的肩膀上,
and as for myself, I come from a long line of tough Texas women.
至于我自己,我前面还有数位艰苦奋斗的德克萨斯妇女。
My grandparents lived outside of Waco, Texas, in the country.
我的爷爷奶奶住在德克萨斯州韦科市远郊的乡村。
And when my grandmother got pregnant, of course she was not going to go to the hospital to deliver,
我的奶奶怀孕的时候,她肯定没有去医院生产,
she was going to have that baby at home.
而是在家生的小孩。
But when she went into labor, she called the neighbor woman over to cook dinner for my grandfather,
但就在她生产的时候,她还叫了邻居家的一个妇女过来给爷爷做晚饭,
because ... I mean, it was unthinkable that he was going to make supper for himself. Been there.
因为...要我爷爷自己做饭会是什么样子简直难以想象。此时。
The neighbor had no experience with killing a chicken, and that was what was planned for dinner that night.
那个邻居从来没有杀过鸡,但是晚餐本来是准备吃鸡肉的。
And so as the story goes, my grandmother, in the birthing bed,
故事就是这样发展的,我的奶奶躺在床上,
in labor, hoists herself up on one elbow and wrings that chicken's neck, right?
分娩的时候用手肘把自己撑起来,拧断了那只鸡的脖子。
And that is how my mother came into this world.
我妈妈就这样出生了。
But the amazing thing is, even though my mother's own grandmother could not vote in Texas,
神奇的是,尽管我妈妈的奶奶在德州自己没有投票权,
because under Texas law, "idiots, imbeciles, the insane and women" were prevented the franchise
因为德克萨斯州法律中写道:“弱智、低能者、精神病人以及女性不享有这项权利,
just two generations later, my mother, Ann Richards,
就在两代人之后,我的妈妈,安·理查德,
was elected the first woman governor in her own right in the state of Texas.
被选为了德克萨斯州的首位女性州长。
But you see, when Mom was coming up in Texas, there weren't a lot of opportunities for women,
但在那时的德州,女性刚开始崭露头角,她们并不会的到很多机会,
and frankly, she spent her entire life trying to change that.
于是她一生的时间都在试图改变这个现状。
She used to like to say, "As women, if you just give us a chance, we can perform.
她以前常说:“只要给女性一点点机会,我们就能发光。
After all, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels." Right?
毕竟,金吉·罗杰斯做到了弗雷德·阿斯泰尔所能做到的一切,只不过是穿着高跟鞋做到的。”不是吗?
And honestly, that's kind of what women have been doing for this last century:
老实说,这就是上个世纪的女性一直在做的:
despite having very, very little political power, we have made enormous progress.
尽管拥有的政治权力非常非常小,我们还是有巨大的成就。
So today in the United States, 100 years after getting the right to vote, women are almost half the workforce.
现在,在获得选举权后的100年后,美国女性占据了劳动力的一半。
And in 40 percent of families with children, women are the major breadwinners.
在有孩子的家庭中,有40%的家庭是由女性负担起全家的开支。
Economists even estimate that if every single paid working woman took just one day off of work,
经济学家甚至预测,如果每一个有偿工作的女性都请一天假,
it would cost the United States 21 billion dollars in gross domestic product.
美国的国民生产总值将会减少210亿美元。
Now, largely because of Title IX, which required educational equity,
感谢《教育法第九修正案》,由于它要求保证教育公平,
women are actually now half the college students in the United States.
美国的大学生中女性已经占了一半数量。
We're half the medical students, we're half the law students -- Exactly.
医学生和法律系学生中我们都占了一半。
And a fact I absolutely love: One of the most recent classes of graduating NASA astronauts was ...
还有我非常自豪的一件事是:最近几期的美国航天局宇航员中其中有一批是...
What? For the first time, 50 percent women.
什么?首次女性数量达到了50%。
The point is that women are really changing industries, they're changing business from the inside out.
事实就是女性正在改变各个行业,她们从内向外的改变着世界。
But when it comes to government, it's another story, and I actually think a picture is worth 1000 words.
但如果说到政治方面,那就是另一回事了,一张照片会有力地多。
This is a photograph from 2017 at the White House when congressional leaders were called over
这张照片是2017年在白宫拍的,当时一群国会议员正聚在一起,
to put the final details into the health-care reform bill that was to go to Congress.
对即将被递交给国会的一份医疗改革法案进行最后的细节修改。
Now, one of the results of this meeting was that they got rid of maternity benefits,
这次会议的结果之一就是他们删去了产妇福利,
which may not be that surprising, since no one at that table actually would need maternity benefits.
可能这一点并没有什么值得惊讶的,毕竟桌边的那些人没有谁需要产妇福利。
And unfortunately, that's what we've learned the hard way in the US for women.
而正是这一残忍的事实让我们认识到了美国女性不幸的现状。
If we're not at the table, we're on the menu, right?
如果我们不做刀俎,就会变成鱼肉。
And we're simply not at enough tables, because even though women are the vast majority of voters in the United States,
而事实就是我们在决策桌上没有足够的声音,因为即使美国女性投票者占据了大多数,
we fall far behind the rest of the world in political representation.
相比世界其他国家女性在政治领域的席位,我们落后了太多。
Recent research is that when they ranked all the countries,
最近有一份研究列出了世界国家排名,
the United States is 104th in women's representation in office. 104th ... Right behind Indonesia.
在女性的政治席位榜单中,美国排名第104。104位啊...还排在印度尼西亚的后面。
So is it any big surprise, then, considering who's making decisions,
这是什么很值得惊讶的事吗,想想看决策者是谁,
we're the only developed country with no paid family leave?
我们是所有发达国家中唯一不享有带薪探亲假的。
And despite all the research and improvements we've made in medical care -- and this is really horrifying to me
尽管我们在医疗领域做了很多研究,也取得了很多进步,这一点是我觉得最可怕的,
the United States now leads the developed world in maternal mortality rates.
美国女性生育死亡率在发达国家中排行榜首。
Now, when it comes to equal pay, we're not doing a whole lot better.
再说到同工同酬,我们也没有做到多好。
Women now, on average, in the United States, still only make 80 cents to the dollar that a man makes.
美国女性在跟男性做同样工作的情况下,获得的报酬比例是80美分比1美元。
Though if you're an African American woman, it's 63 cents to the dollar.
即使是非裔美国女性,同男性的比例是63美分比1美元。
And if you're Latina, it's 54 cents to the dollar. It's an outrage.
如果是拉丁裔,那就是54美分比1美元。我对此感到非常愤怒。
Now, women in the UK, the United Kingdom, just came up with something I thought was rather ingenious,
英国女性前不久提出了一个非常聪明的做法,
in order to illustrate the impact of the pay gap.
为了证明男女收入差距的影响。
So, starting November 10 and going through the end of the year,
从11月10日起一直到年底,
they simply put an out-of-office memo on their email to indicate all the weeks they were working without pay. Right?
他们在邮件中加上一份加班备忘录,上面列出了他们每周无偿加班的时间。
I think it's an idea that actually could catch on.
我觉得这一点值得学习。
But imagine if women actually had political power.
想想看如果女性真的有了政治权力会怎么样。
Imagine if we were at the table, making decisions.
想想看如果是我们坐在桌边作出决策。
Imagine if we had our own women's political party that instead of putting our issues to the side as distractions, made them the top priority.
想想看如果我们女性有自己的政党,我们就不会把自己的问题放到一边当成干扰项,而是把它放在第一优先级。
Well, we know -- research shows that when women are in office, they actually act differently than men.
我们还知道--研究显示女性执政方式跟男性完全不同。
They collaborate more with their colleagues, they work across party lines,
她们更乐意跟同事合作,她们可以跨过党派之争,
and women are much more likely to support legislation that improves access to health care, education, civil rights.
她们更有可能去支持那些有利于医疗保障、教育和公民权利的法案。
And what we've seen in our research in the United States Congress is that
我们在美国国会的研究中发现,
women sponsor more legislation and they cosponsor more legislation.
女性会提出更多提案也会更多的进行联合提案。
So all the evidence is that when women actually have the chance to serve,
证据就是当女性有机会去为大家服务的时候,
they make a huge difference and they get the job done.
她们会有更大的作为,她们会把事情完成的很好。
So how would it look in the United States if different people were making decisions?
那如果有不同的人参与决策,美国会是什么样子的呢?
Well, I firmly believe if half of Congress could get pregnant,
我坚信如果有半数的国会议员会怀孕,
we would finally quit fighting about birth control and Planned Parenthood. That would be over.
我们就不会再为计划生育吵得不可开交了。就不会再有这样的问题。
I also really believe that finally, businesses might quit treating pregnancy as a nuisance,
我也相信最终大家不会再把怀孕当成一件麻烦的事,
and rather understand it as a primary medical issue for millions of American workers.
而是把它当作成千上百万的美国工作者面对的一个基本医疗问题。
And I think if more women were in office,
我认为如果有更多女性参政,
our government would actually prioritize keeping families together rather than pulling them apart.
我们的政府会真真正正的把让家人团聚而不是分离当做一个需要优先解决的问题。
But perhaps most importantly, I think all of these issues would no longer be seen as "women's issues."
但可能更重要的是,不应该再把所有问题都当成是女性的问题。
They would just be seen as basic issues of fairness and equality that everybody can get behind.
他们应该是关于公平和平等的所有人都要面对的基本问题。
So I think the question is, what would it take, actually, to build this women's political revolution?
所以我认为问题就在于要进行这场女性的政治革命需要的是什么。
The good news is, actually, it's already started.
好在这场革命其实已经开始了。

女性在政治上取得的进步

Because women around the globe are demanding workplaces, they're demanding educational institutions,

因为全世界的女性都在要求工作空间,要求接受教育,
they're demanding governments where sexism and sexual harassment and sexual assault are neither accepted nor tolerated.
要求政府对性别歧视,性骚扰和性侵害绝对不能接受也不能容忍。
Women around the world, as we know, are raising their hands and saying, "Me Too,"
大家知道,世界上的女性都在举起手来说:“我也是”,
and it's a movement that's made so much more powerful
这是一场声势浩大的运动,
by the fact that women are standing together across industries, from domestic workers to celebrities in Hollywood.
因为所有的女性,从普通工人到好莱坞的明星,他们跨越了各个行业站在一起。
Women are marching, we're sitting in, we're speaking up.
我们前进,我们静坐,我们发声。
Women are challenging the status quo, we're busting old taboos and yes, we are proudly making trouble.
女性正在挑战现有的规则,我们要打破陈规陋习,是的,我们为制造麻烦而自豪。
So, women in Saudi Arabia are driving for the very first time.
因此,沙特阿拉伯的女性第一次有了驾驶权。
Women in Iraq are standing in solidarity with survivors of human trafficking.
伊拉克女人跟被拐卖的幸存者站在一起。
And women from El Salvador to Ireland are fighting for reproductive rights.
萨尔瓦多和爱尔兰的女性在为生育权而抗争。
And women in Myanmar are standing up for human rights.
缅甸妇女为了争取基本权利站起来了。
In short, I think the most profound leadership in the world isn't coming from halls of government.
简而言之,我认为世界上最优秀的领导并不来自于政府。
It's coming from women at the grassroots all across the globe.
它来自世界上那些生活在社会底层的妇女。
And here in the United States, women are on fire.
美国女性们正积极参与政治。
So a recent Kaiser poll reported that since our last presidential election in 2016,
最近的一次凯撒调查显示,从上一次的2016年总统大选开始,
one in five Americans have either marched or taken part in a protest, and the number one issue has been women's rights.
每5个美国人中就有一个参与过游行或抗议活动,他们关注的首要问题就是女性权力问题。
Women are starting new organizations, they are volunteering on campaigns,
她们建立了新的组织机构,参与竞选,
and they're taking on every issue from gun-safety reform to public education.
从枪支安全改革到大众教育,他们关心并参与每一个问题。
And women are running for office in record numbers, and they are winning.
参与国家机构竞选的女性数量已经打破了历史记录,并且有人成功的赢得了选举。
So... Women like Lucy McBath from Georgia.
所以...比如佐治亚州的露西·麦克白。
Lucy lost her son to gun violence, and it was because of her experience with the criminal justice system
她的儿子死于枪支暴力,正是跟犯罪调查机构的斡旋,
that she realized just how broken it is, and she decided to do something about that.
让她认识到这个系统有多腐朽,于是她决定要做出改变。
So she ran for office, and this January, she's going to Congress.
因此她参与了竞选,今年一月她就要去国会了。
OK? Or... Angie Craig from Minnesota.
还有来自明尼苏达州的安吉·克雷格。
So her congressman had made such hateful comments about LGBTQ people that she decided to challenge him.
她们的州国会议员对LGBTQ群体发表了仇视言论,于是她决定向他发出挑战。
And you know what? She did, and she won, and when she goes to Congress in January,
你们知道吗?然后她真的参与了竞选并且取得了胜利,1月去国会上任时,
she'll be the first lesbian mother serving in the House of Representatives.
她将会是众议院首位同性恋母亲。
Or... Or Lauren Underwood from Illinois. She's a registered nurse,
以及...以及来自伊利诺伊州的劳伦·安德伍德。她是一名注册护士,
and she sees every day the impact that lack of health care access has on the community where she lives,
她每天都在亲眼见证着自己居住的社区里缺乏医疗保障造成的影响,
and so she decided to run. She took on six men in her primary,
于是她也决定参政。在第一轮选举中她面对的是6名男士,
she beat them all, she won the general election, and when she goes to Congress in January,
她打败了所有人赢得了选举,1月份她去国会报道时,
she's going to be the first African-American woman ever to serve her district in Washington, D.C.
她将成为华盛顿首位为自己选区服务的非裔美国人。
So women are recognizing -- this is our moment. Don't wait for permission, don't wait for your turn.
女性逐渐意识到...这就是属于我们的时刻。不要等别人的允许,也不要去等命运的转折。
As the late, great Shirley Chisholm said
正如伟大的雪莉·奇肖尔姆所说,
Shirley Chisholm, the first African-American woman ever to go to Congress and the first woman to run for president in the Democratic party
雪莉·奇肖尔姆是国会首位非裔女性,也是民主党第一位竞选总统的女性,
but Shirley Chisholm said, "If there's no room for you at the table, just pull up a folding chair."
雪莉·奇肖尔姆说:“如果桌边没有你的位置,就把折叠椅拉开。”
And that's what women are doing, all across the country.
而这正是全美女性正在做的。
I believe women are now the most important and powerful political force in the world,
我相信女性是当下世界上最重要也最有力量的政治群体,
but how do we make sure that this is not just a moment?
但是我们怎样保证这不是昙花一现呢?
What we need is actually a global movement for women's full equality that is intersectional and it's intergenerational,
我们需要的是一场跨越地理位置、跨越历史的追求女性的完全平等的世界性运动,
where no one gets left behind. And so I have a few ideas about how we could do that.
要让所有人都参与进来。为了实现这一点,我这里有几条建议。
Number one: it's not enough to resist. It's not enough to say what we're against.
第一:我们还不到时候要去抵制什么。还不到时候去说我们反对什么。
It's time to be loud and proud about what we are for,
我们现在要做的是大声说出我们要做的事并为之自豪,
because being for full equality is a mainstream value and something that we can get behind.
因为争取完全平等就是主流价值观,我们也不能落后。
Because actually, men support equal pay for women. Millennials, they support gender equality.
因为实际上,男性也支持同工同酬。千禧一代也支持性别平等。
And businesses are increasingly adopting family-friendly policies,
企业家也更多的采用家庭友好型管理政策,
not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it's good for their workers. It's good for their business.
不仅仅因为这是对的,更因为这对工人有好处,也对他们的公司有好处。
Number two: We have to remember, in the words of Fannie Lou Hamer, that "nobody's free 'til everybody's free."
第二:记住哈迈尔的话,全人类的自由才是真正的自由。
So as I mentioned earlier, women of color in this country didn't even get the right to vote until much further along than the rest of us.
正如我前面所提到的,我国有色人种中的女性直到其它人都有了选举权之后很久才有了这项权利。
But since they did, they are the most reliable voters,
但自从她们都有了,她们就是最可靠的选民,
and women of color are the most reliable voters for candidates who support women's rights,
而在给位女性争取权力的候选人投票时,她们是非常值得信赖的,
and we need to follow their lead... Because their issues are our issues.
我们要跟随她们的领导...因为她们的困难就是我们的困难。
And as white women, we have to do more, because racism and sexism and homophobia, these are issues that affect all of us.
而作为白人女性,我们要承担更多责任,因为种族主义、性别歧视以及恐同文化会影响我们所有人。
Number three: we've got to vote in every single election. Every election.
第三:我们在每一场选举中都应该投票。我是说每一场选举。
And we've got to make it easier for folks to vote, and we've got to make sure that every single vote is counted, OK?
我们要让投票变得简单,要让每一票都有其价值。
Because the barriers that exist to voting in the United States, they fall disproportionately on women
因为在美国,所有女性无差别的都会面临投票的障碍,
women of color, women with low incomes, women who are working and trying to raise a family.
无论是女性有色人种,低收入女性还是努力工作挣钱养家的女性。
So we need to make it easier for everyone to vote,
我们要让投票变得简单,好让每个人都可以参与,
and we can start by making Election Day a federal holiday in the United States of America.
比如我们可以从让选举日变成国家节假日开始。
Number four: don't wait for instructions.
第四:不要等别人的指示。
If you see a problem that needs fixing, I think you're the one to do it, OK?
如果你发现了一个问题需要解决,我认为你就是最好的人选。
So start a new organization, run for office.
所以去建立新的机构或者去竞选吧。
Or maybe it's as simple as standing up on the job in support of yourself or your coworkers.
或只是简单的放下工作帮帮自己或同事。
This is up to all of us. And number five: invest in women, all right?
这是由我们所有人决定的。第五:给女性投资。
Invest in women as candidates, as changemakers, as leaders.
给女性候选人,决心做出改变的人,还有女性领导人投资。
Just as an example, in this last election cycle in the United States,
举个例子,美国上次大选时期,
women donated 100 million dollars more to candidates and campaigns than they had just two years ago,
女性捐赠给候选人和竞选活动的资金比两年前多出了1亿美金。
and a record number of women won. So just think about that.
而成功赢得选举的女性数量也创造了新高。所以想想看吧。
So look, sometimes I think that the challenges we face,
有时候我觉得我们面临着巨大的挑战,
they seem overwhelming and they seem like they almost can never be solved,
看起来似乎它们永远都不可能被解决,
but I think the problems that seem the most intractable are the ones that are most important to work on.
但我也相信最困难的问题才是最重要的。
And just because it hasn't been figured out yet doesn't mean you won't.
因为前人没有想出来解决办法并不意味着你也不行。
After all, if women's work were easy, someone else would have already been doing it, right?
毕竟,如果女性的工作如此简单,那一定有别人已经在做了,不是吗?
But women around the globe, they're on the move, and they are taking strengths and inspiration from each other.
全世界女性都在行动,她们发挥自己的长处并互相鼓励。
They are doing things they never could have imagined.
她们做的事连自己都无法想象。
So if we could just take the progress we have made in joining the workforce,
如果我们把我们在办公室中取得的进步,
in joining business, in joining the educational system, and actually channel that into building true political power,
在商业、在教育系统中取得的进步转变为真正的政治力量,
we will reshape this century, because one of us can be ignored, two of us can be dismissed,
我们就能重塑这个时代,因为一两个人可能会被忽视,
but together, we're a movement, and we're unstoppable. Thank you. Thank you.
但只要联合起来,我们就是一场运动,我们势不可挡。谢谢。谢谢大家。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
beat [bi:t]

想一想再看

v. 打败,战胜,打,敲打,跳动
n. 敲打,

 
equity ['ekwəti]

想一想再看

n. 权益,产权,(无固定利息的)股票,衡平法

联想记忆
outrage ['autreidʒ]

想一想再看

n. 暴行,侮辱,愤怒
vt. 凌辱,激怒

联想记忆
evidence ['evidəns]

想一想再看

n. 根据,证据
v. 证实,证明

联想记忆
democratic [.demə'krætik]

想一想再看

adj. 民主的,大众的,平等的

联想记忆
inspiration [.inspə'reiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 灵感,吸入,鼓舞人心(的东西)

联想记忆
pregnancy ['pregnənsi]

想一想再看

n. 怀孕

联想记忆
primary ['praiməri]

想一想再看

adj. 主要的,初期的,根本的,初等教育的

联想记忆
solidarity [.sɔli'dæriti]

想一想再看

n. 团结

 
majority [mə'dʒɔriti]

想一想再看

n. 多数,大多数,多数党,多数派
n.

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。