手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED演讲视频 > 正文

Facebook在英国脱欧中扮演的角色

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

So, on the day after the Brexit vote, in June 2016,

2016年6月,英国脱欧投票结束后的那天,
when Britain woke up to the shock of discovering that we're leaving the European Union,
当英国醒来后,震惊地发现我们将要离开欧盟,
my editor at the "Observer" newspaper in the UK asked me to go back to South Wales,
我在英国《观察者》报纸的编辑让我回到威尔士南部
where I grew up, and to write a report. And so I went to a town called Ebbw Vale.
去写一份报告,那是我长大的地方。于是我去了一个叫埃布谷的小镇。
Here it is. It's in the South Wales Valleys, which is this quite special place.
就在这儿。它位于南威尔士山谷,这是一个非常特别的地方。
So it's had this very, sort of rich, working-class culture,
这里有着浓厚的工人阶级文化,
and it's famous for its Welsh male voice choirs and rugby and its coal.
以威尔士男声合唱团、橄榄球和煤炭而闻名。
But when I was a teenager, the coal mines and the steelworks closed, and the entire area was devastated.
但当我十几岁的时候,煤矿和钢铁厂都倒闭了,整个地区都衰落了。
And I went there because it had one of the highest "Leave" votes in the country.
我去那里是因为那里出现了全国最高的“脱欧”票比例。
Sixty-two percent of the people here voted to leave the European Union. And I wanted to know why.
这里62%的人投票决定离开欧盟。我想知道为什么。
When I got there, I was just a bit taken aback, because the last time I went to Ebbw Vale, it looked like this.
当我到达那里的时候,我只是有点吃惊,因为上次我去埃布谷的时候,它看起来是这样的。
And now, it looks like this.
现在,它看起来像这样。
This is a new 33-million-pound college of further education that was mostly funded by the European Union.
这是一所耗资3300万英镑的继续教育大学,主要由欧盟资助。
And this is the new sports center that's at the middle of 350-million-pound regeneration project that's being funded by the European Union.
这是一个新的体育中心,这是由欧盟资助的3.5亿英镑的重建项目的中心。
And this is the new 77-million-pound road-improvement scheme, and there's a new train line,
这是一个新的7700万英镑的道路改善计划,还有一条新的铁路线,
a new railway station, and they're all being funded by the European Union.
一个新的火车站,这些都是由欧盟资助的。
And it's not as if any of this is a secret, because there's big signs like this everywhere.
这并不是什么秘密,因为到处都有这样的大标志。
I had this sort of weird sense of unreality, walking around the town.
在小镇上散步的时候,我时不时有一种奇怪的不真实的感觉。
And it came to a head when I met this young man in front of the sports center.
当我走到体育中心遇到这个年轻人的时候,我的想法达到了顶点。
And he told me that he had voted to leave, because the European Union had done nothing for him.
他告诉我,他投票决定离开欧盟,因为欧盟没有为他做任何事情。
He was fed up with it. And all around town, people told me the same thing.
他受够了。镇上的人都跟我说了同样的话。
They said that they wanted to take back control, which was one of the slogans in the campaign.
他们说他们想夺回控制权,这是竞选口号之一。
And they told me that they were most fed up with the immigrants and with the refugees. They'd had enough.
他们告诉我,他们受够了移民和难民。移民已经太多了。
Which was odd. Because walking around, I didn't meet any immigrants or refugees.
这太奇怪了。因为走了这么久,我没有遇到一个移民或难民。
I met one Polish woman who told me she was practically the only foreigner in town.
我遇到一位波兰妇女,她告诉我她几乎是镇上唯一的外国人。
And when I checked the figures, I discovered that Ebbw Vale actually has one of the lowest rates of immigration in the country.
当我查看这些数据时,我发现埃布谷实际上是英国移民率最低的地区之一。
And so I was just a bit baffled, because I couldn't really understand where people were getting their information from.
所以我有点困惑,因为我不能真正理解人们从哪里得到了信息。
Because it was the right-wing tabloid newspapers which printed all these stories about immigration.
因为正是右翼小报刊登了所有关于移民的报道。
And this is a very much left-wing Labour stronghold.
但这里一个非常左翼的工党大本营。
But then after the article came out, this woman got in touch with me.
但文章发表后,有个女人和我取得了联系。
And she was from Ebbw Vale, and she told me about all this stuff that she'd seen on Facebook. I was like, "What stuff?"
她来自埃布谷,她把在Facebook上看到的东西全部告诉了我。我说,“什么东西?”
And she said it was all this quite scary stuff about immigration, and especially about Turkey.
她说移民问题非常可怕,尤其是土耳其。
So I tried to find it. But there was nothing there.
所以我试着找到她所说的消息。但是什么也没有。
Because there's no archive of ads that people had seen or what had been pushed into their news feeds.
因为没有相关的档案,来保存人们看过的广告或新闻媒体流推送的内容也没有被保存。
No trace of anything, gone completely dark.
没有任何痕迹,完全没有线索。
And this referendum that will have this profound effect forever on Britain -- it's already had a profound effect:
这次公投将对英国产生深远的影响--它已经产生了深远的影响:
the Japanese car manufacturers that came to Wales and the north east to replace the mining jobs
之前威尔士和东北部的日本汽车制造商曾取代矿业工作,
they are already going because of Brexit.
现在他们已经因为英国脱欧而离开了。
And this entire referendum took place in darkness, because it took place on Facebook.
整个公投发生在黑暗中,因为它发生在Facebook上。
And what happens on Facebook stays on Facebook, because only you see your news feed,
Facebook上发生的事情只会留在Facebook圈子里,因为只有你看到你的新闻推送,
and then it vanishes, so it's impossible to research anything.
然后它就消失了,所以无法研究任何东西。
So we have no idea who saw what ads or what impact they had, or what data was used to target these people.
所以我们不知道谁看到了什么广告,这些广告又产生了什么影响,或者这些推送是基于哪些数据的。
Or even who placed the ads, or how much money was spent, or even what nationality they were.
甚至是谁投放了广告,花了多少钱,甚至这些人的国籍是什么。
But Facebook does. Facebook has these answers, and it's refused to give them to us.
但是Facebook知晓这些秘密。Facebook有这些问题的答案,但它拒绝告诉我们。
Our parliament has asked Mark Zuckerberg multiple times to come to Britain and to give us these answers.
我们的议会已经多次要求马克·扎克伯格来英国给我们解释这些疑问。
And every single time, he's refused. And you have to wonder why.
每一次,他都拒绝了。你一定想知道他为什么不来。
Because what I and other journalists have uncovered is that multiple crimes took place during the referendum.
因为我和其他记者发现,公投期间发生了多起犯罪。
And they took place on Facebook.
而且这些犯罪就发生在Facebook上。
It's because in Britain, we limit the amount of money that you can spend in an election.
因为在英国,我们限制你在选举中可以花的钱。
And it's because in the 19th century, people would walk around with literally wheelbarrows of cash and just buy voters.
这是因为在19世纪,人们真的会带着一手推车的现金四处走动,然后收买选民。
So we passed these strict laws to stop that from happening.
所以我们通过了这些严格的法律来阻止这种情况的发生。
But those laws don't work anymore. This referendum took place almost entirely online.
但是那些法律现在已经不管用了。这次公投几乎完全是在网上进行的。
And you can spend any amount of money on Facebook or on Google or on YouTube ads and nobody will know,
你可以在Facebook、谷歌或YouTube上花很多钱,没人会知道,
because they're black boxes. And this is what happened.
因为它们经过“黑盒操作”。事情就是这样。
We've actually got no idea of the full extent of it.
实际上,我们并不知道它的全部范围。
But we do know that in the last days before the Brexit vote,
但我们知道的是,在英国脱欧公投前的最后几天,
the official "Vote Leave" campaign laundered nearly three quarters of a million pounds through another campaign entity
官方的“脱欧公投”活动通过另一个竞选实体洗钱近75万英镑,
that our electoral commission has ruled was illegal, and it's referred it to the police.
我们的选举委员会裁定该实体是非法的,并将其提交给了警方。
And with this illegal cash, "Vote Leave" unleashed a fire hose of disinformation. Ads like this.
用这些非法资金,“脱欧公投”引发了一连串虚假信息。就像这样的广告。
This is a lie, it's a total lie. Turkey is not joining the European Union.
这是个谎言,是个彻彻底底的谎言。土耳其不会加入欧盟。
There's not even any discussions of it joining the European Union.
甚至没有任何关于它加入欧盟的讨论。
And most of us, we never saw these ads, because we were not the target of them.
而我们大多数人,我们从来没有见过这些广告,因为我们不是他们的目标。
"Vote Leave" identified a tiny sliver of people who it identified as persuadable, and they saw them.
“脱欧公投”寻找了一小部分被认为会动摇的人,他们看到了这些广告。
And the only reason we are seeing these now is because parliament forced Facebook to hand them over.
我们现在看到这些的唯一原因是因为议会强迫Facebook交出了它们。
And maybe you think, "Well, it was just a bit of overspending. It's a few lies."
也许你会想,“嗯,只是有点不太像话。只是几个谎言而已。”
But this was the biggest electoral fraud in Britain for 100 years.
但这是英国100年来最大的选举舞弊。
In a once-in-a-generation vote that hinged upon just one percent of the electorate.
这是一代人只可能参与一次,而只有1%的选民参与的投票。
And it was just one of the crimes that took place in the referendum.
这只是公投中发生的罪行之一。
There was another group, which was headed by this man, Nigel Farage, the one to the right of Trump.
还有另一个组织,由这个人领导,奈杰尔·法拉奇,特朗普右边的那个。
And his group, "Leave.EU" -- it also broke the law.
和他的团队,“离开欧盟”--它也违反了法律。

Facebook在英国脱欧中扮演的角色

It broke British electoral laws and British data laws, and it's also being referred to the police.

它违反了英国选举法和数据法,也被提交给了警方。
And this man, Arron Banks, he funded this campaign.
这个人,阿伦·班克斯,资助了这次竞选。
And in a completely separate case, he's being referred to our National Crime Agency, our equivalent of the FBI,
在另一个不相关的案件中,他被移交给我们的国家犯罪局,相当于美国的联邦调查局,
because our electoral commission has concluded they don't know where his money came from.
因为我们的选举委员会得出结论,他们不知道他的钱从哪里来。
Or if it was even British.
究竟是不是来自英国的资金。
And I'm not even going to go into the lies that Arron Banks has told about his covert relationship with the Russian government.
我甚至不用去细说阿伦·班克斯所说的关于他与俄罗斯政府秘密关系的谎言。
Or the weird timing of Nigel Farage's meetings with Julian Assange and with Trump's buddy, Roger Stone, now indicted,
或者是奈杰尔·法拉奇与朱利安·阿桑奇以及特朗普的好友罗杰·斯通,他如今正被起诉,会面的奇怪时间,
immediately before two massive WikiLeaks dumps, both of which happened to benefit Donald Trump.
就在维基解密公布两份大规模文件之前,这两份文件都恰好有利于唐纳德·特朗普。
But I will tell you that Brexit and Trump were intimately entwined.
但我要告诉你的是,英国脱欧和特朗普密不可分。
This man told me that Brexit was the petri dish for Trump.
这个人告诉我,英国退欧是特朗普的培养皿。
And we know it's the same people, the same companies, the same data, the same techniques, the same use of hate and fear.
我们知道是同样的人,同样的公司,同样的数据,同样的技术,同样利用了仇恨和恐惧。
This is what they were posting on Facebook.
这是他们在Facebook上发布的。
And I don't even want to call this a lie, because it feels more like a hate crime to me.
我甚至不想称之为谎言,因为对我来说,这更像是一种仇恨犯罪。
I don't have to tell you that hate and fear are being sown online all across the world.
我不必告诉你,仇恨和恐惧正在世界各地的网络上散播。
Not just in Britain and America, but in France and in Hungary and Brazil and Myanmar and New Zealand.
不仅在英国和美国,而且在法国、匈牙利、巴西、缅甸和新西兰。
And we know there is this dark undertow which is connecting us all globally.
我们觉察到有一股黑色的暗流将我们连接在一起。
And it is flowing via the technology platforms.
它通过技术平台流动。
But we only see a tiny amount of what's going on on the surface.
但我们只能看到表面上的一小部分。
And I only found out anything about this dark underbelly
我也只发现了关于这个黑暗面的冰山一角,
because I started looking into Trump's relationship to Farage, into a company called Cambridge Analytica.
因为我开始调查特朗普和法拉奇的关系,我发现了一家叫剑桥分析的公司。
And I spent months tracking down an ex-employee, Christopher Wiley.
我花了好几个月的时间才找到前雇员克里斯托弗·威利。
And he told me how this company, that worked for both Trump and Brexit, had profiled people politically
他向我解释,这家为特朗普和英国脱欧运作的公司是如何从政治上剖析人们的,
in order to understand their individual fears, to better target them with Facebook ads.
以便理解他们个人的恐惧,从而更好地用Facebook广告瞄准他们。
And it did this by illicitly harvesting the profiles of 87 million people from Facebook.
它通过非法获取Facebook上8700万人的用户资料来做到这一点。
It took an entire year's work to get Christopher on the record.
我花了整整一年才把克里斯托弗记录在案。
And I had to turn myself from a feature writer into an investigative reporter to do it.
我不得不把自己从特写作家变成调查记者。
And he was extraordinarily brave, because the company is owned by Robert Mercer, the billionaire who bankrolled Trump,
他非常勇敢,因为这家公司的所有者是为特朗普提供资金的亿万富翁罗伯特·默瑟,
and he threatened to sue us multiple times, to stop us from publishing.
他多次威胁要起诉我们,阻止我们出版。
But we finally got there, and we were one day ahead of publication.
但我们最终还是做到了,离出版还有一天。
We got another legal threat. Not from Cambridge Analytica this time, but from Facebook.
我们受到了另一个法律威胁。这次不是来自剑桥分析公司,而是来自Facebook。
It told us that if we publish, they would sue us. We did it anyway.
它告诉我们,如果我们出版,他们会起诉我们。我们仍然出版了。
Facebook, you were on the wrong side of history in that.
Facebook,你们选择站在历史错误的一边。
And you were on the wrong side of history in this -- in refusing to give us the answers that we need.
你们站在历史错误的一边,因为你们拒绝给出我们需要的真相。
And that is why I am here. To address you directly, the gods of Silicon Valley.
这就是我来这里的原因。直接对你们说,硅谷的众神们。
Mark Zuckerberg and Sheryl Sandberg and Larry Page and Sergey Brin and Jack Dorsey,
马克·扎克伯格,谢丽尔·桑德伯格、拉里·佩奇、谢尔盖·布林、杰克·多尔西,
and your employees and your investors, too.
还有你们的员工和投资者。
Because 100 years ago, the biggest danger in the South Wales coal mines was gas.
因为100年前,南威尔士煤矿最大的危险是煤气。
Silent and deadly and invisible. It's why they sent the canaries down first to check the air.
沉默,致命,隐形。这就是为什么他们先派金丝雀去检查空气。
And in this massive, global, online experiment that we are all living through, we in Britain are the canary.
在这个大规模的、全球性的、在线的实验中,我们都置身其中,我们英国人就是金丝雀。
We are what happens to a western democracy when a hundred years of electoral laws are disrupted by technology.
当一百年来的选举法被科技打乱时,我们就是活生生的所谓西方民主国家的下场。
Our democracy is broken, our laws don't work anymore,
我们的民主被破坏了,我们的法律不再有效,
and it's not me saying this, it's our parliament published a report saying this.
这不是我说的,而是我们的议会发表了一份报告。
This technology that you have invented has been amazing. But now, it's a crime scene.
你们发明的这项技术太神奇了。但现在,这里是犯罪现场。
And you have the evidence. And it is not enough to say that you will do better in the future.
你有证据。但是你们仅仅说将来会做得更好是不够的。
Because to have any hope of stopping this from happening again, we have to know the truth.
因为要想阻止这种事情再次发生,我们必须知道真相。
And maybe you think, "Well, it was just a few ads. And people are smarter than that, right?"
也许你会想,“没事儿,这只是几个广告而已。人们比这更聪明,不会中招对吧?”
To which I would say, "Good luck with that."
对此我要说:“祝你好运。”
Because what the Brexit vote demonstrates is that liberal democracy is broken. And you broke it.
因为脱欧公投表明,自由民主已经破碎。你们把它弄坏了。
This is not democracy -- spreading lies in darkness, paid for with illegal cash, from God knows where.
这不是民主--在黑暗之中散布谎言,用非法的现金支付,天知道这些现金从哪里来。
It's subversion, and you are accessories to it.
这是对国家的颠覆,而你们都是它的陪葬品。
Our parliament has been the first in the world to try to hold you to account, and it's failed.
我们的议会是世界上第一个试图让你们承担责任的议会,但它失败了。
You are literally beyond the reach of British law
你们真的超出了英国法律的范围
not just British laws, this is nine parliaments, nine countries are represented here,
不仅仅是英国法律,这是9个议会,9个国家的代表,
who Mark Zuckerberg refused to come and give evidence to.
马克·扎克伯格却拒绝来作证。
And what you don't seem to understand is that this is bigger than you.
你似乎不明白这种精准投放的广告远远比你强大。
And it's bigger than any of us. And it is not about left or right or "Leave" or "Remain" or Trump or not.
它比我们任何人都强大。这与左派、右派、“脱欧”、“留欧”、特朗普都无关。
It's about whether it's actually possible to have a free and fair election ever again.
这关系到是否有可能再次举行一次自由公正的选举。
Because as it stands, I don't think it is.
因为就目前来看,我不抱任何希望。
And so my question to you is, is this what you want?
所以我想问你们,这就是你们想要的吗?
Is this how you want history to remember you:
你希望历史就这样记住你吗:
as the handmaidens to authoritarianism that is on the rise all across the world?
你是世界各地正在兴起的威权主义的奴仆?
Because you set out to connect people.
因为你的初衷是将人们联系起来。
And you are refusing to acknowledge that the same technology is now driving us apart.
但如今你们拒绝承认同样的技术正在把我们分开。
And my question to everybody else is, is this what we want:
我对其他人的问题是,这就是我们想要的吗:
to let them get away with it, and to sit back and play with our phones, as this darkness falls?
让他们逍遥法外,在黑暗降临的时候,坐下来玩手机?
The history of the South Wales Valleys is of a fight for rights.
南威尔士山谷的历史是一场争取权利的斗争。
And this is not a drill -- it's a point of inflection.
这不是演习,这是一个转折点。
Democracy is not guaranteed, and it is not inevitable,
民主并非是应许的,也不是必然的,
and we have to fight and we have to win and we cannot let these tech companies have this unchecked power.
我们必须战斗,我们必须胜利,我们不能让这些科技公司拥有这种不受约束的权力。
It's up to us -- you, me and all of us. We are the ones who have to take back control.
这取决于我们--你,我和我们所有人。我们必须夺回控制权。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
impact ['impækt,im'pækt]

想一想再看

n. 冲击(力), 冲突,影响(力)
vt.

联想记忆
identified

想一想再看

adj. 被识别的;经鉴定的;被认同者 v. 鉴定(id

 
sliver ['slivə]

想一想再看

n. 裂片,细片,梳毛 v. 纵切,切成长片,剖开

 
uncovered [,ʌn'kʌvəd]

想一想再看

adj. 无覆盖物的;未保险的;无盖的 v. 脱帽致敬;

 
election [i'lekʃən]

想一想再看

n. 选举

联想记忆
fraud [frɔ:d]

想一想再看

n. 骗子,欺骗,诈欺

联想记忆
devastated ['devəsteitid]

想一想再看

adj. 毁坏的;极为震惊的 v. 毁坏;摧毁(deva

 
drill [dril]

想一想再看

n. 钻孔机,钻子,反复操练,播种机
v. 钻

 
benefit ['benifit]

想一想再看

n. 利益,津贴,保险金,义卖,义演
vt.

联想记忆
liberal ['libərəl]

想一想再看

adj. 慷慨的,大方的,自由主义的
n. 自

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。