手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED演讲视频 > 正文

动物王国的悲痛与爱

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

I'd like to tell you today about an orca named Tahlequah.

今天我要讲一头虎鲸的故事,她名叫塔勒阔,
Tahlequah is also known as J35 to scientists, because she swims with the J Pod in the Salish Sea.
科学家们也叫它J35,因为她和代号为J的鲸群一起生活在赛利希海域。
These are the waters off of British Columbia and Washington State.
这片水域毗邻加拿大卑诗省和美国华盛顿州。
Now, last year, in July 2018, she was well along in her 17-month pregnancy,
去年,也就是2018年7月,怀有17个月身孕的她一切正常,
and scientists were very excited because no baby had survived in this pod for three long years.
科学家们都特别兴奋,因为在长达3年的时间里,这个鲸群的宝宝都夭折了。
Now, orcas are also known as killer whales.
虎鲸,又被称为逆戟鲸(杀手鲸)。
They're profoundly social and profoundly intelligent beings.
虎鲸是高度社会化、高智商动物。
And scientists are very interested in their behavior,
科学家们对它们的行为很感兴趣,
because in their social networks, they share habits, information and even affection.
因为它们在社交网中分享习性、信息、甚至还分享情感。
They create true cultures of the ocean.
它们创造了真正的海洋文化。
But this pod has been in trouble.
但这个鲸群遇到了困难。
The Chinook salmon that the orcas favor has been way down in the region, and pollution has been up.
该水域里虎鲸喜食的奇努克鲑鱼数量骤减,而且水污染在持续恶化。
But on July 24th, Tahlequah gave birth to a daughter, and scientists were so excited by this development.
而在7月24日,塔勒阔生了个女儿,科学家们对此进展兴奋不已。
But unfortunately, the same day -- in fact, shortly after birth -- the calf died.
但不幸的是,就在同一天--其实,就在出生后不久,虎鲸宝宝就夭折了。
Well, what happened next electrified animal lovers across the world,
然而,接下来发生的一幕震惊了全世界的动物爱好者,
because Tahlequah refused to let her baby slip off into the water.
因为塔勒阔拒绝让宝宝尸体沉入水底。
She kept it on her body and she swam with it.
她背上驮着尸体一起游泳。
If it did fall off, she would dive and rescue it, and she battled stiff currents to do this.
如果尸体滑落,她会潜水再把尸体救起,全然不顾激流的危险。
Now, she kept this behavior up for 17 days, and during this time, she swam over 1,000 miles.
她驮着宝宝的尸体游了整整17天,一共游了1000多英里。
At that point, she let the little baby slip off into the water.
那时,她才让小宝宝从她背上滑落、坠入水里。
So today, Tahlequah swims on with the J Pod, but her grief still moves me.
今天,塔勒阔依然跟随着J鲸群,但她的悲痛依然感动着我。
And I do believe that "grief" is the right word to use.
我深信用“悲痛”这个词不为过。
I believe that grief is the right word to use for numerous animals who mourn the dead.
我用“悲痛”这个词,是因为无数动物会哀悼死去的同类。
They may be friends or mates or relatives.
死者可能是它们的朋友、伙伴或亲戚。
Because these visible cues, these behavioral cues, tell us something about an animal's emotional state.
因为这些可见的行为线索告诉我们动物情感状态的信息。
Now, for the last seven years, I've been working to document examples of animal grief
在过去的7年里,我一直在记录动物悲痛的例子,
in birds, in mammals, in domesticated animals and in wild animals -- and I believe in the reality of animal grief.
有鸟儿的、哺乳动物的,家养动物的和野生动物的--我相信动物的悲痛情感真实存在。
Now, I say it this way because I need to acknowledge to you right up front that not all scientists agree with me.
我这样说,是因为我必须事先说明并非所有科学家都同意我的观点。
And part of the reason, I think, is because of what I call the "a-word."
我觉得,部分原因是因为我所说的“A-单词”。
The a-word is anthropomorphism, and historically, it's been a big deterrent to recognizing animal emotions.
这个单词就是“拟人化”,它一直被用来区分动物情感。
So, anthropomorphism is when we project onto other animals our capacities or our emotions.
当把我们的能力和感情想象到动物身上时,就是拟人化。
And we can all probably think of examples of this.
而且,我们都可能想出这样的例子。
Let's say we have a friend who tells us, "My cat understands everything I say."
假设一位朋友告诉我们说,“我的猫咪明白我说的所有事情。”
Or, "My dog, he's so sweet. He ran right across the yard this morning towards a squirrel, and I know he just wants to play."
或“我的狗太可爱了。今天早上他穿过院子追松鼠,我知道他只想玩而已。”
Well, maybe. Or maybe not. I'm skeptical about claims like those.
好吧,也许吧;或者,也许不是。我对类似那样的说法表示怀疑。
But animal grief is different, because we're not trying to read an animal's mind.
但动物的悲痛与此不同,因为我们不是试图解读动物的想法。
We're looking at visible cues of behavior and trying to interpret them with some meaning.
我们在观察可见的行为线索,并尝试用某种意义来解释它们。
Now, it's true -- scientists often push back at me, and they'll say,
这是真的--科学家经常反驳我,他们会说,
"Ah, look, the animal might be stressed, or maybe the animal's just confused because his or her routine has been disrupted."
“啊,看呐,这动物可能压力大,抑或,这动物很困惑,因为它的日常生活被打乱了。”
But I think that this overworry about anthropomorphism misses a fundamental point.
但我认为,这种关于拟人化的过度担忧忽略了一个基本点。
And that is that animals can care very deeply for each other, maybe they even love each other.
那就是动物们会深深关爱彼此,甚至爱上彼此。
And when they do, a survivor's heart can be pierced by a death.
当他们爱彼此时,一方的去世会伤透生者的心。
Let's face it: if we deny evolutionary continuity, we are really missing out on embracing part of ourselves.
我们看一看:如果我们否认进化的连续性,我们真会错过拥抱自己的一部分。
So yes, I believe in the reality of animal grief, and I also think that if we recognize it,
所以是的,我相信动物悲伤的现实,我也认为如果我们认识到它,
we can make the world a better place for animals, a kinder place for animals.
就能让这个世界成为更适合动物的地方,一个对动物更友善的地方。
So let me tell you a little bit more about animal grief. I'm going to start in Kenya.
容我多告诉你一些关于动物悲伤的事情,就从肯尼亚开始吧。
You see here there's an elephant named Eleanor who came one day with bruised legs, and she collapsed.
你看到这里有一头名叫埃莉诺的大象,一天她来的时候,腿上伤痕累累,最终倒地不起。
You see on the left that another female named Grace came to her right away and,
你看到在她左边,另一头名叫格蕾丝的母象立刻来到她身旁,
using her own trunk, propped her up, tried to get her up on her feet.
并用自己的鼻子扶起她,试图让她站立起来。
And she did succeed, but then Eleanor collapsed again.
她真帮埃莉诺站起来了,但接着她又倒地不起。
At this point, Grace became visibly distressed, and she prodded the body, and she vocalized.
此时,格蕾丝明显很忧虑,她捅了捅埃莉诺的身体,并发出悲鸣。
Eleanor collapsed again, and unfortunately, she did die.
然而,埃莉诺又倒下了,不幸的是,她最终还是死了。
What you see on the right is a female from another family named Maui,
右边的大象是叫毛伊的母象,她来自另一个大象家庭,
who came after the death, and she stayed at the body.
埃莉诺死后,她来到了这里,并待在尸体旁边。
She held a vigil there, and she even rocked in distress over the body.
她在那里替埃莉诺守夜,她甚至在尸体周围悲伤地晃身顿足。
So the scientists watching the elephants kept close observation on Eleanor's body for seven days.
所以观察大象的科学家们对埃莉诺的尸体密切监视了七天。
And during those seven days, a parade of elephants came from five different families.
在那七天的时间里,来自五个不同家庭的大象结队来到了这里。
Now, some were just curious, but others carried out behaviors that I really believe should be classified as grief.
有些大象只是感到好奇,但其它大象的行为让我真相信应被归类为悲伤。
So what does grief look like? It can be rocking, as I said, in distress.
那么悲伤是怎样表现的呢?像我说的,可能是悲痛地剧烈晃动身体。
It can also be social withdrawal, when an animal just takes himself or herself away from friends and stays by themselves,
也可能表现为不合群,即一只动物离开朋友们并独自生活,
or a failure to eat or sleep properly, sometimes a depressed posture or vocalization.
或不能正常进食或睡眠,有时做出沮丧的姿势或悲鸣。
It can be very helpful for those of us studying this to be able to compare the behavior of a survivor before death and after death,
对于我们这些研究动物情感的人来说,能够比较死前和之后幸存者的行为是非常有帮助的,
because that increases the rigor of our interpretation.
因为这增加了我们解释的严谨性。
And I can explain this to you by talking about two ducks named Harper and Kohl.
通过谈论两只鸭子哈珀和科尔,我可以向你解释这一点。
So we're into birds now. So Harper and Kohl were raised at a foie gras factory, and they were treated cruelly.
所以我们现在要讨论鸟类了。哈珀和科尔在一家鹅肝厂养大,它们在那里受到残酷对待。
Foie gras does involve force-feeding of birds.
鹅肝确实涉及强制喂养鸟类。
So this hurt their bodies, and their spirits were not in good shape, either.
强制喂养不但伤害它们的身体,它们的精神状态也很糟糕。
But thankfully, they were rescued by a farm sanctuary in upstate New York.
但幸运的是,纽约州北部的一个农场庇护救了它俩。

动物王国的悲痛与爱

And for four years, they stabilized, and they were fast friends.

四年来,它们安居于此,并成为密友。
They often took themselves to a small pond on the property.
它们经常一起去农场的一个小池塘。
Then, Kohl started to have really intractable pain in his legs,
后来,科尔开始腿疼的厉害,但无药可救,
and it was clear to the sanctuary that he had to be euthanized humanely, and he was.
庇护所必须实施安乐死以减少他的痛苦,最终,他被安乐死了。
But then the sanctuary workers did a brilliant thing, because they brought Harper to the body to see.
接下来,庇护所工作人员做了一件很棒的事情,他们把哈珀带到科尔身旁,看他的反应。
And at first, Harper prodded the body of his friend,
起初,哈珀戳了戳朋友的身体,
but then he laid himself over it, and he stayed there for over an hour with his friend.
然后就趴在朋友的尸体上面,陪着他的朋友在那里待了一个多小时。
And in the weeks after, he had a hard time.
随后的几个星期里,哈珀过得很艰难。
He would go back to that same pond where he had been with Kohl, and he didn't want any other friends.
他会回到以前与科尔同去的小池塘,并拒绝与其它朋友们在一起。
And within two months, he died as well.
不出2个月,哈珀也死了。
Now, I'm happy to say that not all grieving animals have this sorrowful outcome.
现在,我很高兴地说,并非所有悲伤的动物都有这种伤心的表现。
Last summer, I flew to Boston to visit my adult daughter, Sarah.
去年夏天,我飞往波士顿看望已成年的女儿莎拉。
I was with my husband Charlie. I really needed a break from work.
我是和我先生查理同去的,我确实需要休息一下。
But I succumbed, and I checked my work email. You know how that is.
但我还是忍不住查看了工作邮件,你了解那种放不下工作的情况。
And there was a communication about a dejected donkey.
邮箱里有封关于一头沮丧驴子的通讯。
Now, as an anthropologist, this wasn't what I expected, but there it was, and I'm glad I read it.
作为一名人类学家,按理说这不是我所期望的,但它就在邮箱里,我很高兴自己读了它。
Because a donkey named Lena had gone to another farm sanctuary, this one in Alberta, Canada,
一头叫莉娜的驴子来到了位于加拿大阿尔伯塔的另一个农场庇护所,
as the only donkey there, and had trouble making friends for that reason.
作为那里唯一的驴子,莉娜很难交到朋友。
But she eventually did make friends with an older horse named Jake, and for three years they were inseparable.
但最终她和叫扎克的老马成了朋友,三年来,他俩形影不离。
But the reason the email came was that Jake, at age 32, the horse,
这封邮件是因为已32岁高龄的扎克病得很重,
had become gravely ill and had to be put down, and this is what was going on.
必须要杀死他以减轻他的痛苦,接下来就是所发生的一切。
This is Lena standing on Jake's grave.
图中的莉娜站在扎克的墓上。
She didn't want to come in at night.
她不想晚上来。
She didn't want to come in for food.
她不想为了吃东西而来。
She didn't want to come in for water.
她也不想为了喝水而来。
She pawed at the grave, she brayed in distress, and there she stood.
她用爪子刨着墓地、悲鸣不已,她就站在那里。
So we talked and we brainstormed. What do you do for an animal like this?
因此,我们一起讨论、头脑风暴。对这样的动物,我们该怎么办?
And we talked about the role of time, of extra love and kindness from people and of urging her to make a new friend.
我们谈到了时间的作用、人们对她的额外关爱和善意,以及敦促她结交新朋友。
And here's where her trajectory does diverge from that of Harper the duck,
自此,她的驴生与鸭子哈珀的生活不同,
because she did make a new friend, and sanctuary workers wrote back and said it worked out well.
因为她真的结交了新朋友,庇护所工作人员回信说,新友情帮她改善了很多。
Now sometimes, scientists supplement observation with hormonal analysis.
有些情况下,科学家们用荷尔蒙激素分析来补充观察结果。
There's an example of a group of scientists in Botswana,
这个例子是博茨瓦纳一组科学家的,
who took fecal material from baboons and compared two different groups.
他们提取狒狒粪便,用来比较两个不同群体。
The first group were females who had witnessed a predator attack and lost someone in that attack,
第一组是雌性狒狒,她们目睹了捕食者的袭击,并在袭击中失去了一位成员,
and the second group were females who had witnessed an attack but had not lost someone.
第二组也是雌性狒狒,她们虽目睹袭击,但无成员伤亡。
And the stress hormones were way up in that first group.
第一组的压力荷尔蒙高出很多。
But here's the thing: the scientists didn't just call them "stressed baboons," they called them "bereaved baboons,"
但事情是这样的:科学家们并未简单称她们“紧张的狒狒”,而是称她们为“丧亲的狒狒”,
and in part, that's because of the observations that they made.
部分原因是,他们所做的观察导致了这样的称呼。
For example, this mother-daughter pair were very close, and then the daughter was killed by a lion.
例如,这位妈妈和女儿很亲密,之后,女儿被狮子杀害。
The mother removed herself from all her friends, from her grooming networks,
这位妈妈离开所有的朋友,离开互梳毛发的圈子,
and just stayed by herself for weeks -- bereavement -- and she then slowly recovered.
离群索居了几周的时间--丧亲之痛--之后她才慢慢恢复过来。
So we have bereaved baboons.
所以,怀有丧亲之痛的狒狒的确存在。
Will science tell us someday about bereaved bees? Will we hear about frogs who mourn?
将来,科学会告诉我们也有丧亲之痛的蜜蜂吗?将来我们会听说青蛙也忧伤吗?
I don't think so, and I think the reason is because animals really need one-to-one, close relationships for that to happen.
我不那么认为,因为动物们真正需要一对一、亲密无间的关系才会那样,
I also know that circumstance matters, and personality matters.
我也知道这与环境有关、与性格有关。
I have documented cats and dogs who grieve, our companion animals,
我记录了悲伤的猫和狗,它们是我们的伴侣动物,
but I also interacted with a woman who was extremely bothered because her dog wasn't grieving.
但我也和一位女士交流过,因为她的狗没有悲伤让她很闹心。
She said to me, "The first dog in the house has died.
她告诉我,“家里的第一条狗死了。
The second animal does not seem concerned, the second dog. What is wrong with him?"
第二条狗看起来根本不在乎,他是不是有毛病?”
And as I listened to her, I realized that this dog was now the only animal in the household,
当我听她讲述时,就意识到,这条狗现在是家里唯一的动物,
and as far as he was concerned, that was a pretty good deal. So circumstances matter.
在他看来,他现在独享恩宠,这个结果不错哦。因此,环境因素很重要。
Now, in any case, animals are not going to grieve exactly like we do.
无论如何,动物悲伤不会完全像我们一样。
We have human creativity. We paint our grief, dance our grief, write our grief.
我们有人类的创造力。我们会把悲伤画出来、通过舞蹈表现出来、把悲伤写出来。
We also can grieve for people we've never met, across space and time.
我们也会为未曾谋面的人悲伤,穿越时空限制。
I felt this strongly when I went to Berlin and I stood at the Holocaust Memorial.
当我去柏林、站在大屠杀纪念馆前时,就深深感受到这一点。
Animals don't grieve exactly like we do, but this doesn't mean that their grief isn't real.
动物们的悲伤不会完全像我们一样,但这不代表他们的悲伤不真实。
It is real, and it's searing, and we can see it if we choose.
它们的悲伤是真切的、强烈的,如果我们选择去看,就能看到它们的悲伤。
Now, I've lost both my parents. I lost a very dear friend at a young age from AIDS.
如今,我双亲尽失,我还失去了一位年纪轻轻就死于艾滋病的好友。
I believe most likely most of you here have lost someone.
相信可能在座各位都失去过亲人。
And I have found it a genuine comfort, a solace, to know that we aren't the only beings on this earth who feel love and grief.
当发现我们不是地球上唯一感知爱和悲伤的生命时,我感到这是一种真正的安慰,我感到一种慰藉。
And I think this is important. I also think we can take this a step further,
我认为这一点很重要,也认为我们可以更进一步,
and we can realize that the reality of animal grief can help us be better and do better for animals.
我们就能认识到,认清动物的悲伤可以帮我们变得更好、为动物做得更好。
This is already happening with Tahlequah,
这一点已经帮到塔勒阔了,
because the United States and Canada have renewed their talks with greater urgency for how to help the orcas,
因为美国和加拿大已经加急重启讨论,讨论如何帮助虎鲸、
how to restore the Chinook salmon and how to help with the water pollution.
如何恢复奇努克鲑鱼以及如何解决水污染问题。
We can also see that if grief is real,
如果悲伤是真实的,
there's tremendous plausibility to the notion that animals feel a whole range of things.
那么我们也能认识到动物能感受各种事情的概念是极其合理的。
So we could look at joy, sadness, even hope.
所以,我们可以看到快乐、悲伤,甚至希望。
And if we do that, here's how we can start to think about the world.
如果我们看到这些情绪,那么,下面是我们如何开始思考这个世界。
We can look at orcas and say, we know they grieve, we know they feel their lives,
我们能看着虎鲸们说,我们知道他们悲伤、我们了解它们感知到自己的生命,
and we can refuse to confine them to small tanks in theme parks and make them perform for our entertainment. Thank you.
我们就能拒绝把它们囚禁在主题公园的小池子里、并让它们表演供我们欣赏。谢谢!
We can look at elephants and say, yes, they grieve,
我们能看着大象们说,是的,它们很悲伤,
and we can renew our efforts against international trophy hunting and against poaching. Thank you.
我们可以继续努力反对国际范围的战利品狩猎活动和偷猎。谢谢!
And we can look at our closest living relatives, monkeys and apes, and know yes they grieve, they feel their lives,
并且我们能看着我们最近的动物近亲,猴子和猩猩,知道他们很悲伤、能感受到自己的生命,
so they don't deserve to be confined in highly invasive biomedical experiments year after year.
所以,它们不该年复一年地被用于高度侵入性的生物医学实验中。
And, you know -- the ducks Harper and Kohl, they tell us something too.
而且,你要知道--鸭子哈珀和科尔也告诉了我们一些事情。
They help us connect the dots and realize that what we eat affects how animals live.
它们帮助我们把信息拼凑起来,并意识到我们吃的东西会影响动物的生活方式。
And it's not just foie gras, and it's not just ducks.
这不仅仅关乎鹅肝、不仅仅是鸭肉。
We can think about pigs and chickens and cows in factory farms, and we can know.
想想动物养殖场的猪、鸡和奶牛,就知道我们影响了它们。
I can tell you the science is real that these animals feel, too.
我可以告诉大家,关于这些动物有感觉的科学是真的。
So every single time we choose a plant-based meal, we are contributing to reducing animal suffering.
因此,每次我们选择吃素食时,就是为减少动物痛苦尽了一份力。
So yes, I believe in the reality of animal grief.
是的,我相信动物悲伤是真实的。
I believe in the reality of animal love,
我相信动物相爱也是真实的,
and I think it is time for us humans to recognize that we don't own these things.
我认为我们人类应该认识到,悲伤与爱不是我们独有的东西。
And when we see that, we have an opportunity to make the world so much better for animals,
当我们看到悲伤与爱时,我们就有机会让动物世界变得更好,
a kinder world, a gentler world, and along the way, we might just save ourselves, too.
对动物更友善、更温和的世界,在此过程中,我们可能也拯救了自己。
Thank you so much. Thank you. Thank you.
非常感谢!谢谢!谢谢!

重点单词   查看全部解释    
supplement ['sʌplimənt,'sʌpliment]

想一想再看

n. 补充物,增刊
vt. 补充,增补

联想记忆
analysis [ə'næləsis]

想一想再看

n. 分析,解析

联想记忆
stiff [stif]

想一想再看

adj. 硬的,僵直的,生硬的,拘谨的,不灵活的

 
genuine ['dʒenjuin]

想一想再看

adj. 真正的,真实的,真诚的

联想记忆
perform [pə'fɔ:m]

想一想再看

v. 执行,运转,举行,表演

联想记忆
outcome ['autkʌm]

想一想再看

n. 结果,后果

 
distress [dis'tres]

想一想再看

n. 痛苦,苦恼,不幸
vt. 使痛苦,使苦恼

联想记忆
routine [ru:'ti:n]

想一想再看

n. 例行公事,常规,无聊
adj. 常规的,

联想记忆
deterrent [di'terənt]

想一想再看

adj. 制止,防止,挽留 n. 挽留的事物,妨碍物

联想记忆
trophy ['trəufi]

想一想再看

n. 奖品,战利品

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。