手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED演讲视频 > 正文

该如何将气候焦虑化为行动

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

It's deeply painful to face what's happening on our planet right now.

面对我们星球上正在发生的事是非常痛苦的。
From forests burning, ocean plastic, species just gone each day, displacement.
森林在燃烧,海洋遍布塑料,物种一天天消逝,生命进行大置换。
It's easy to feel totally overwhelmed.
这一切都太容易让人觉得喘不过气。
Maybe a bit helpless. Powerless. Angry. On fire. Numb. Disconnected. Perhaps all of the above.
你可能会有点无助。觉得无计可施。怒火中烧。如坐针毡。麻木不仁。心绪凌乱。可能上述这些情绪你都会有。
These messy and complicated feelings, they make total sense.
这些混乱复杂的情感全都说得通。
I wish that someone had said this to me 30 years ago.
我多希望30年前能有人对我说这些话。
I was a college freshman taking environmental studies,
当时我是个大学新生,选了环境研究这门课,
which is basically a semester of really bad news about all the ways that humans have profoundly damaged our beautiful earth.
基本上一学期听到的全是非常糟糕的新,内容都是关于人类如何严重破坏了我们美丽的地球。
And I felt like I had been dropped into a dark tunnel,
我觉得自己仿佛掉进了一个黑暗的隧道,
given no tools to get out and yet expected to carry on with my everyday life as if things were normal.
没有任何方法可以离开,但我仍期望我的日常生活能够一如既往的平静。
But once you're exposed to that kind of information, things are not normal anymore.
可一旦你接收到了那类信息,事情再也不会如常了。
And I was anxious, I was terrified, no one was talking about this, and I almost dropped out of school, for real.
我很焦虑,也很恐惧,没人在谈论这个问题,坦白说,我差点因此而退学。
But instead, I signed up for a field study in California,
不过我并没有退学,而是报名参加了加利福尼亚的田野调查。
and we were backpacking together as a small group for two months, which I know sounds very intense.
两个月的时间里,我们结成了小组,一起徒步旅行,我知道这听上去非常辛苦。
And it was, but what I found is that we talked a lot.
事实也确实如此,但我发现我们聊了很多。
We talked about how we were feeling about the world, openly and honestly,
我们谈论了各自对世界的感受,大家都开诚布公,
and no one told me at any point to be more positive or more hopeful. Not once.
从没有人对我说要变得更积极,或更充满希望。一次都没有。
And surprisingly, I found myself feeling better.
然而令人惊讶的是,我发现自己感觉好多了。
I actually felt like I could face these issues that had seemed so insurmountable more head on.
事实上,我感到自己更能面对那些似乎难以克服的问题。我能直面这些了。
And I had this epiphany: What if by understanding ourselves and one another,
我有了这个顿悟:如果通过自我了解和了解他人,
we could find our way through this crisis in a new and different way?
我们能找到一种全新的、不同的方式来度过这场危机会如何呢?
You know, what if psychology actually held a missing key to unlocking action on the greatest challenges facing our planet right now?
如果心理学中确实隐藏着一把缺失的钥匙,能把如今面对我们星球的艰巨挑战化为行动呢?
So when I got back from the field study, I focused on clinical psychology,
所以当我结束实地调查回去之后,我开始专注于临床心理学,
and I researched the relationships between trauma and grief and creativity.
研究创伤、哀伤和创造力这三者之间的关系。
And the paradox at the heart of, I think, all of this is how do we stay present with what's really painful,
我觉得,所有问题的核心矛盾就在于,我们在非常悲伤的时候如何保持现状,
how do we stay connected in the face of what's threatening and overwhelming and scary?
我们在面临威胁、压力和惊吓时如何与他人保持联系?
And it turns out that psychology knows a lot about these things. Truly, a lot.
事实证明,心理学对这些事情很有研究。真的是非常精通。
But I wasn't hearing any of this being referenced in my environmental studies class,
但是我都从没听过这类内容被提起,无论是在环境研究课上,
or the climate action meetings I started going to, or the international conferences, where everyone is asking:
还是我那时开始参加的气候行动会议,甚至国际会议上,每个人都在倡导:
Why aren't we acting faster, and what's it going to take?
为什么我们不加快行动?我们要付出什么代价?
And so this has become my mission of sorts, which is that I take insights from psychology
于是这变成了我的某种使命,那就是,从心理学中获得洞见,
and I translate them into resources and tools to support those working on the frontlines to turn things around.
然后把它们转化成资源和工具,以支持一线工作者们扭转乾坤。
And that means for anyone, by the way. We're all on the frontlines right now.
也就是我们所有人。我们现在都处于前线。
And it's my belief, after years of straddling these worlds between environment and climate and psychology,
在多年穿梭于环境、气候和心理学的世界之后,我也相信,
that this actually is a missing ingredient in our work
这实际上是我们工作中缺少的要素,
that can exponentially accelerate our capacities to be creative and resilient and capable and skillful and courageous
可以指数级加速我们的能力,让我们变得更具有创造力、有韧性、有能力、有技巧、充满勇气,
and all those things that the world is needing from us right now.
当今世界正需要我们身上的这些特质。
So I'm going to share three concepts with you that I found particularly game-changing
因此,我将和大家分享三个我觉得特别具有影响力的概念,
and how I make sense of this moment for us as humans.
以及我是如何理解这一刻对于我们人类的意义。
And the first is something called our window of tolerance.
第一个概念是我们的容忍范围。
So Dr. Dan Siegel has described us all as having a window.
丹·西格尔博士曾形容,人人都拥有一个容忍范围。
How much stress can we tolerate while staying connected and what clinicians would call "integrated."
在保持和外界联系的同时我们能承受多少压力,临床医生称其为“整合”。
Integrated, where we can actually be in touch with our thoughts and feelings and not just get kind of co-opted.
整合,即我们真切地与思想和情感保持联系,而不只是某种被动接受。
And we all have a threshold.
我们都有容忍的限度。
And what happens when we experience stress beyond what we can tolerate?
当面临超出我们忍受范围的压力时,会发生什么?
We tend to go into the edges of our window.
我们倾向于接近容忍界限的边缘。
And on one hand, we might go into a sort of collapse, what's called a chaotic response,
一方面,我们可能会陷入某种崩溃,也就是所谓的混沌反应,
which looks like depression, despair, kind of a shutting down.
我们会感到沮丧、绝望、有种停摆了的感觉。
And on the other side of this window is a more rigid response: denial, anger, rigid.
在容忍范围的另一边则是一种更僵化的反应:否认,愤怒,僵化。
And so when that happens, we actually lose our capacity to be integrated, resilient, adaptive, all those things that we want to be.
所以当这种情况发生时,我们实际上失去了情绪整合、韧性、适应力,以及所有我们想要的情绪控制力。
And this is totally normal, but it's happening all around the world right now, right?
这很正常,但也在全世界发生着,不是吗?
We're all vacillating between these different feelings and emotions.
我们都在这些不同的感受和情绪之间摇摆不定。
And so with something like climate change, with every new scientific report, documentary,
正因如此,在像气候变化之类的问题上,每一份新的科学报告、纪录片,
connecting the dots between, you know, what we're doing and the impact it's having,
都在将我们在做的事情和这些事情产生的影响联系起来,
it can collectively be pushing us outside of our window of tolerance.
从而可能会将我们共同推到容忍范围之外。
And we lose that capacity, right?
然后我们就失去容忍的能力了,对吧?
So, over the years, I've interviewed hundreds of people from all backgrounds and political affiliations,
这些年来,我采访了数百名有着不同背景和政治倾向的人,
from the Midwest US to China, and I talked to people about how are we feeling about what's happening.
他们有的来自美国中西部,有的来自中国,我和他们谈论了对正在发生的事情的感受。
Not what opinions or beliefs.
不是什么观点或者信念。

该如何将气候焦虑化为行动

What are we feeling about what's going on with your local environment, with your water, your soil, the big picture.

而是我们各自对当地环境的感受,水,土壤,整个环境。
And what I hear from people almost across the board, I'm telling you, is a bind.
可以和大家说,我几乎是从各界人士那听到的,都是束缚。
People tell me at some point in the conversation,
人们在谈话中的某个时刻告诉我,
"I care very deeply about what's happening, I'm incredibly freaked out. I'm scared, I love this land, I love the birds,"
“我非常关心正在发生的事情,我真的被吓坏了。我很害怕,我爱这片土地,我爱鸟儿,”
whatever that is, "But I feel like my actions are insignificant. And I don't know where to start. And I'm also..."
诸如此类,“但是我觉得我的举动微不足道。我也不知道从何开始。我也...”
I hear between the lines of what people say
我听懂了人们字里行间的含义,
"I'm really scared to change. Really scared of any change, it's so -- I can't even think about it, it's like, unthinkable."
“我真的很害怕改变。真的很害怕任何改变,这真的太...我甚至想都不敢想,无法想象。”
And this is the second concept, which is something called a double bind.
这就是我要说的第二个概念,叫做“双重束缚”。
And a double bind is when we feel sort of like, damned if you do, and damned if you don't, and you're just kind of stuck there.
双重束缚就是我们会感觉有点像被诅咒,事情做也不是,不做也不是,只能单纯地被困在原地。
It's a very intolerable human experience.
这种人生体验令人难以忍受。
And we will do anything we can to get rid of it and just push it away.
我们会竭尽所能摆脱它,将其推开。
And so all that care and concern, it's there, it just goes down, it goes underground.
于是所有的在意和关心,都在渐渐减退,隐藏起来,消失不见。
But what happens is, it looks like people don't care, it looks like apathy.
但实际发生的是,看起来人们并不在乎,表现得很冷漠。
And so a lot of folks who are seeing the urgency of the situation are like,
许多看到这种紧迫情况的人都是,
"We've got to motivate you. We've got to get you psyched."
“我们必须给你鼓劲。我们得让你振奋起来。”
And we become cheerleaders for solutions. Or like, "Here's the facts, this is happening, wake up."
然后我们就变成了解决方案的啦啦队长。或者会像这样,“事实摆在眼前,一切正在发生,赶快清醒吧。”
And these things are actually not inherently bad, because we need solutions and we need to face the facts.
实际上,这些事情本身并不糟糕,因为我们需要解决方案,我们也需要面对现实。
But inadvertently, this can backfire and lead to more numbing and inaction, which is very perplexing for a lot of people.
但这些无意间都会适得其反,并且导致更多的麻木和无所作为,这些情况对许多人来说都非常困惑。
It's like, what the heck is going on, right?
这就像,“这都什么情况啊”,是吧?
And so, this is because of this, you know, it's not really touching what's going on underneath.
其实,这都是因为我们没有真正触及问题的核心。
So imagine that you go see a therapist, and you've got a double bind.
想象一下,你去看心理治疗师,你正在经受着双重束缚。
You're feeling really stuck, you know you've got to change and the therapist starts shouting at you and saying,
你感觉陷入了困境,也知道你应该改变,然后心理治疗师开始冲你大喊大叫,说:
"Don't you see what's happening? If you don't act now, you're going to face terrifying consequences.
“你没看到发生了什么吗?如果你不马上行动,会面临可怕的后果。
Don't you care? What's wrong with you? What's it going to take?"
你都不在乎吗?你到底怎么了?你到底想要怎么办?”
Or you see a therapist and you're feeling actually sad and grief.
或者你觉得真的非常难过悲伤,然后你去找心理治疗师。
And this therapist says, "You know, don't think about it too much. Here's some simple things you can do. Simple positive things."
这位心理治疗师说:“别想太多。你可以做做这些简单而有积极意义的事情。”
And sends you on your way.
然后让你从哪来回哪去。
So if it were me, I would fire this therapist immediately, because a good therapist practices something called attunement.
如果是我的话,我会马上解雇这些治疗师,因为好的治疗师会尝试一种叫做调和的方式。
I love this concept so much. Attunement, right, the word "to tune."
我非常喜欢这个概念。调和,没错,其中有个“调”字。
And attunement is when we're feeling in sync, when we feel understood and we feel accepted for exactly where we are.
调和是指当我们的感受同步,当我们感到被理解,自己的状况被完全接受时。
And we feel that, you know, we're in relationship with the world in a way that makes sense,
我们感受到我们是以一种有意义的方式和世界建立了联系。
no one's trying to change us or shame us or judge us. Right? And attunement takes skill.
没有人试图改变我们,羞辱我们或是批判我们。我说清楚了吗?调和需要技巧。
When the stakes are high, let me tell you, it's very hard to want to attune with anything, when we're facing such urgent threats.
当风险很高的时候,可以告诉大家的是,当我们面临紧急的威胁时,很难去调和任何东西。
But the paradox of the moment we're in is that when we are more in tune in our window of tolerance,
但我们现在面临的矛盾是,当我们在忍受范围内更协调的时候,
we are so much more capable of solving problems, being creative, being adaptive, being flexible, being our brilliant selves, right?
我们解决问题的能力更强,也更能富于创造,更有适应力,更加灵活,更能发挥出自己的潜能,是吧?
So what if our climate and environmental work was informed by these concepts, right, of window of tolerance, lot of double binds and attunement?
如果我们从忍受范围,诸多的双重束缚,以及心理调和等这些概念中得到了气候和环境工作的启示,那会如何?
So it can look like a whole lot of things.
看起来似乎很复杂。
So I'm asked all the time, "OK, Renee, this sounds awesome for a clinical context, we don't have time for this."
我一直被问道,“好吧,蕾妮,临床上是听起来很赞,可我们没办法为这么多东西花时间。”
And that is absolutely not true.
这绝对是一种误解。
Because we can bring attunement into every aspect of our work on this issue. And it starts with ourselves.
因为我们可以将调和融入与此议题相关工作的各个方面。先从我们自身出发。
You actually can't do attunement unless you're in touch with yourself, I'm sorry to break it to you.
很遗憾告诉大家,除非你自己和你的心灵保持相通,否则是没有办法完成调和的。
There's no way around it. It's from the inside out.
没有其他可行的方法,它是由内而外的。
And so it starts with actually tuning in to "how am I feeling?"
真正的调和是从“我感觉如何?”开始的。
And being compassionate. I know it's easy to say but really being compassionate, it's like, these are hard issues.
接着是保持同情心。我知道这些说起来都很容易,但要真的富有同情心是很困难的事。
This is a hard moment to be a human being, we're waking up.
这是人类的艰难时刻,我们在慢慢清醒。
I'm not a bad person. What's going on, bring curiosity into our own experience,
“我不是个坏人啊。到底发生了什么?”将好奇心带入我们自己的经历,
which then allows us to attune socially, that's the next way we can apply this, is attuning,
然后让我们进行社交上的调和,这就是我们可以用到调和的地方,
whether it's in small groups or one-on-one, campaigning, strategy, classrooms, movie theaters, parks.
无论是在小群体还是一对一的环境中,活动,方略,教室,电影院,还有公园。
Where we can give each other permission to just be who we are, and again, this allows us to move into the higher level functioning.
我们可以允许彼此只做自己,再一次地,这让我们进入更高层次的运转中。
The executive function, the prefrontal cortex,
执行功能,前额叶皮层,
when we feel that our nervous system can calm down and we are understood by the other.
当我们感觉到神经系统镇定下来,接着我们就会彼此理解。
And the third way is leading with attunement.
第三种思路就是用调和的方式去领导。
As leaders and influencers, showing up as human, as real, saying,
作为领导者和有影响力的人,要表现自己人性的一面,要真实,说:
"You know what? I am really scared. I don't know what all the answers are."
“你知道吗?我真的吓到了。我不知道所有的应对方法。”
Can you imagine leaders saying that?
你能想象领导们说出这些话吗?
"I don't know. But here we are, and we're all needed. And we're in this together. And we can do this."
“我不知道。但是我们都在这儿,我们都是被需要的。我们会众志成城。我们可以做到的。”
That's a very different message than just, "We can do this," right.
这和只说“我们可以做到”完全不同,对吧?
It's like, "Here we are. I'm scared, but this is happening."
这就像在说,”我们在这儿。我很害怕,但事态就是如此。”
So here's the thing, all of this work exists,
所以说,这些工作全都存在,
we have the tools to create these conditions that can allow us to show up as our brilliant selves.
而我们拥有工具能创造这些条件来让我们彰显出色的自我。
And I know, without doubt, 100 percent, that each one of us has the capacity to meet these challenges with the ingenuity
我十分确信,我们每个人都有能力发挥聪明才智去挑战难题,
and brilliance and bravery that we as humans have.
而才华和勇气正是我们人类拥有的。
We just need to cultivate the conditions together. We need each other.
我们只需要共同培养这些条件。我们需要彼此。
To support each other and allow ourselves to really meet this.
去互相支持,让我们真正实现这个目标。
That's what we need, so... Let's take a deep breath.
那正是我们需要的,所以...让我们深吸一口气。
Have compassion for ourselves and one another in this moment, time in history,
对自己和彼此共情,在此时此刻,
so we collectively process these painful truths, these difficult realities.
让我们共同面对这些痛苦的事实,这些艰难的现实。
Let's do this together. The world is ready for us to do this. And we can do this. Thank you.
让我们一起行动。世界在等待着我们行动。而我们也有能力做到这些。谢谢大家。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
tolerance ['tɔlərəns]

想一想再看

n. 忍耐力,宽容,容忍,公差

 
creativity [.kri:ei'tiviti]

想一想再看

n. 创造力,创造

联想记忆
compassion [kəm'pæʃən]

想一想再看

n. 同情,怜悯

联想记忆
therapist ['θerəpist]

想一想再看

n. 临床医学家

 
insignificant [.insig'nifikənt]

想一想再看

adj. 无关紧要的,可忽略的,不重要的,无用的

 
informed [in'fɔ:md]

想一想再看

adj. 见多识广的 v. 通告,告发 vbl. 通告,

 
capacity [kə'pæsiti]

想一想再看

n. 能力,容量,容积; 资格,职位
adj.

联想记忆
overwhelming ['əuvə'welmiŋ]

想一想再看

adj. 势不可挡的,压倒的

 
intense [in'tens]

想一想再看

adj. 强烈的,剧烈的,热烈的

联想记忆
urgency ['ə:dʒənsi]

想一想再看

n. 紧急(的事)

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。