手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED演讲视频 > 正文

女性是如何在卢旺达掀起革命的

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

I came back to my home of Rwanda two years after the 1994 genocide against the Tutsi. The country was devastated.

在1994年卢旺达图西族大屠杀事件发生两年后,我回到了我的故乡卢旺达。整个国家山河破碎,一片狼藉。
The children I was caring for in the hospitals were dying from treatable conditions,
我在医院里负责看护的孩子们,都死于可治愈的疾病,
because we didn't have equipment or medicine to save them.
因为我们没有仪器及药物去拯救他们的生命。
I was tempted to pack my bag and run away. But I debated with myself.
我曾想收拾行李,一走了之,但我内心始终是矛盾的。
And because I'm really dedicated to social justice and equity,
因为我很想为社会的公正平等出一份力,
and there were only five pediatricians in total for millions of children in Rwanda, I decided to stay.
并且卢旺达有成千上万的孩子,却只有五位儿科医生,我决定留下来。
But among the people who have motivated my decision to stay,
然而在激励我下定决心留下来的人中,
there were some fantastic women of Rwanda, some women who had faced the genocide and survived it.
有许多了不起的卢旺达女性,她们经历了大屠杀并活了下来。
They had to overcome unbelievable pain and suffering. Some of them were raising children conceived through rape.
她们遭遇了难以想象的痛苦和煎熬。其中一些人哺育着被强奸后生下的孩子。
Others were dying slowly with HIV and forgave the perpetrators, who voluntarily infected them using HIV and rape as a weapon.
其他人正被艾滋病侵蚀生命,却原谅了那些以艾滋病和强奸为凶器让她们感染疾病的作恶之人。
So, they inspired me. If they can do that, I can stay and try to do my best.
正是她们激励了我。既然她们都能做到,那我也可以留下来,尽一些绵薄之力。
Those ladies were really activists of peace and reconciliation.
这些女性是真正的和平和睦的积极倡导者。
They show us a way to rebuild a country for our children and grandchildren to have,
她们教会了我们如何重建一个国家,让我们的子孙
one day, a place they can call home, with pride.
有朝一日拥有一个他们能自豪地称之为家的地方。
And you can ask yourself where this shift of mindset has brought our country.
你可以问问自己,这种思维方式的转变让我们国家发展到了哪一步。
Today in Rwanda, we have the highest percentage of women in parliament.
在今天的卢旺达,我们拥有最高的女性议员占比。
Wait till I tell you the percentage -- sixty-one percent.
别急,先让我告诉你们这个比例是多少--百分之六十一。
Today, we have the best campaign for the vaccination of children with,
今天,我们有最好的儿童疫苗接种运动,
among our success, 93 percent of our girls vaccinated against HPV -- to protect them against cervical cancer.
其中一项成就是,高达93%的女孩接种了HPV疫苗--以保护她们免受宫颈癌的侵袭。
In this country, it's 54.
在这个国家(美国),这个数字是54%。
We have reduced child mortality by 75 percent, maternal mortality by 80 percent.
我们将儿童死亡率降低了75%,产妇死亡率降低了80%。
In early 2000s, there were nine women who were dying every day around delivery and pregnancy. Today, it's around two.
在本世纪初,每天都有9个女性死于分娩和怀孕。今天,只有大约两个。
It's an unfinished agenda. We still have a long way to go. Two is still too much.
这是一项尚未完成的计划,我们还任重道远。两个,还是太多了。
But, do I believe that those results are because we had a big number of women in power positions? I do.
但是,我是不是认为这是因为我们有许多掌权的女性而带来的结果呢?我确实那么认为。
There is -- yes -- there is a study in the developing world that shows that if you improve the status of women,
有一项--有一项发展中国家的研究显示,如果你提高女性的地位,
you improve the status of the community where they live.
就能提高她们所生活的社区的地位。
Up to 47 percent of decrease in child mortality. And even in this country where we are now, it's true.
儿童死亡率会降低近47%。并且即使在我们现在所在的这个国家,这个结论也同样适用。
There is a study by a lady called Patricia Homan, who projected that if women and men were at parity in state legislatures,
一位名叫帕特里夏·霍曼的女士做了一项研究,她表示如果女性及男性在国家立法上有同等地位的话,
there would be a drop of 14.5 percent in child mortality -- in America!
儿童死亡率会下降14.5%--就在美国!
So we know that women, when they use their skills in leadership positions,
所以我们了解到,当女性在领导者地位中发挥才干时,
they enhance the entire population they are in charge of.
她们会使所管理的整个民族更加强大。
And imagine what would happen if women were at parity with men all over the world.
再试想一下,如果女性和男性在全世界都拥有同等的地位,会发生什么。
What a huge benefit we could expect. Hmm? Oh, yeah.
我们可以从中获得多大的利益啊。对吧?没错。
Because in general, we have a different style of leadership: more inclusive, more empathetic, more caring for little children.
因为总体来说,我们拥有不同的领导风格:更包容,更有同理心,对孩童更加关爱。
And this makes the difference.
这些差异能够催生改变。
Unfortunately, this ideal doesn't exist in the world, and the difference between men and women in leadership positions is too big.
不幸的是,世界上不存在这样的理想社会,男女之间的领导地位差距依然悬殊。
Gender inequity is the norm in the majority of professions, even in global health.
在多数职业中,性别不平等已成为常态,即使是在全球卫生领域中。
I have learned that if we focus on women's education,
我认识到,如果我们注重女性的教育,
we improve their life positively as well as the well-being of their community.
我们就能积极地改善她们的生活和其所在社区的福利。
This is why now I dedicate my life to education.
这就是为什么我现在投身于教育事业。

女性是如何在卢旺达掀起革命的

And this is totally aligned with my sense of equity and my pursuit of social justice,

这与我对平等的观念,及对社会公正的追求完美契合,
because if you want to increase access to health services, you need first to increase access to health education.
因为如果你想让更多人能享受健康服务,你首先需要让更多人能接受健康教育。
So with friends and partners, we are building a beautiful university in the rural north of Rwanda.
于是,我们和一众朋友、合作伙伴共同在卢旺达北部的农村建造了一所美丽的大学。
We educate our students to provide quality, equitable, holistic care to everyone, leaving no one out,
我们教育学生要把高质量,平等全面的医疗给予每个个体,不放弃任何人,
focusing on the vulnerable, especially women and children, who are historically the last to be served.
重点关注弱势者,尤其是妇女和儿童,这些群体历来都是最后一个受益的。
We transform them into leaders and give them managerial skills and advocacy skills for them
我们将他们变成领导者,并教授他们管理及号召的技巧,
to be smooth changemakers in the society where they will be,
帮助他们成为自己所处的社会中游刃有余的改造者,
so that they can build health systems that allow them to care about the vulnerable where they are.
这样他们就能建立起健康系统,为当地的弱势群体提供服务。
And it's really transformative. Because currently, medical education, for example, is given in institutions based in cities,
这是改革性的。因为目前,比如说,医学教育,都是在城市的学院里传授的,
focused on quality health services and skills, clinical skills, to be given in institutions.
注重高质量的健康服务和临床技巧,这些课程都是在学院里开展的。
We also focus on quality clinical skills but with biosocial approach to the condition of patient,
我们同样注重高质量临床技能,但以生物社会学的方式,针对病人情况,
for care to be given in communities where the people live, with hospitalization only when necessary.
对人们所在社区给予关爱,只在必要时支持住院治疗。
And also, after four to seven years of clinical education in cities, young graduates don't want to go back to rural area.
并且,在城市中经过四至七年的临床学习之后,年轻的毕业生并不想回到农村地区。
So this is why we have built the University of Global Health Equity,
这就是为什么设立了全球卫生平等大学,
an initiative of Partners in Health, called UGHE, in the rural north of Rwanda.
依照一项名为UGHE的卫生合伙人的计划,在卢旺达北部的农村。
Our students are meant to go and change the world.
我们的学生旨在改变世界。
They will come from all over -- it's a global university -- and will get the medical education for free at one condition:
他们将会来自五湖四海--这是一所国际性学院--并能免费接受医学教育,只有一个条件:
they have to serve the vulnerable across the world during six to nine years.
他们要为世界上的弱势群体服务六至九年的时间。
They will keep the salary for themselves and their families
他们的工资可以留给自己和家人,
but turn the education we give in quality clinical services, especially for the vulnerable.
但要将我们给予的教育变成高质量的临床服务治疗,尤其针对弱势群体。
And doing so, they sign an agreement at the start that they will do that, a binding agreement.
具体来说,他们在入学前会签一张合同,保证他们会如约履行任务,这是一项约束协议。
We don't want money. We have to go and mobilize the money.
我们不想要钱。我们需要去动用那些资金。
But they will turn this in quality service delivery for all.
但它们会变为所有民众都能享受的高质量服务。
For this, of course, we need a strong gender equity agenda.
为了实现这一目标,我们当然还需要一个强有力的性别平等议程。
And in all our classes, master's course, minimum of 50 percent of women.
在我们所有的班级和硕士课程中,需要有至少50%的女性。
And I'm proud to say that for the medical school that started five months ago, we have enrolled 70 percent girls.
并且我很自豪地说,在五个月前开始运营的医学院中,我们已经招募了70%的女孩。
This is a statement against the current inequity for women to access medical education in our continent.
这是反对当今的不平等现象,对我们土地上的女性无法接受平等医学教育的宣战。
I believe in women's education.
我相信女性教育。
This is why I applaud African ladies who go all over the world to increase their education, their skills and their knowledge.
因此我赞赏那些周游世界提高自身教育水平,增长技能和知识的非洲女性。
But I hope they will bring that back to Africa to build the continent and make the continent a strong continent,
但我希望她们能把所学带回非洲,建设我们的土地,让这片陆地更加强大,
because I'm sure a stronger Africa will make the world stronger.
因为我确信,一个更强大的非洲会让世界更强大。
Twenty-three years ago, I went back to Rwanda, to a broken Rwanda,
23年前,我回到卢旺达,那个支离破碎的卢旺达,
that now is still a poor country but shining with a bright future.
虽然它现在仍是一个贫穷的国家,但却拥有美好的未来。
And I am full of joy to have come back, even if some days were very difficult, and even if some days I was depressed,
我很高兴能回去,即使有过艰难的日子,即使有时我十分抑郁,
because I didn't find a solution and people were dying, or things were not moving enough.
因为我没有找到解决问题的办法,人们在死去,或事情发展得不够好。
But I'm so proud to have contributed to improve my community. And this makes me full of joy.
但我对自己为社区进步做了贡献感到骄傲。这件事使我满心欢喜。
So, African women from the diaspora, if you hear me, never forget your homeland.
所以,身居他乡的非洲女性们,如果你听到了我的话,永远不要忘记你的故乡。
And when you are ready, come back home. I did so. It has fulfilled my life.
当你准备好时,就回家吧。我这么做了。我的人生变得更加充实。
So, come back home. Thank you.
所以,回家吧。谢谢。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
agenda [ə'dʒendə]

想一想再看

n. 议事日程

联想记忆
unfinished [,ʌn'finiʃt]

想一想再看

adj. 未完成的

 
mortality [mɔ:'tæliti]

想一想再看

n. 必死的命运,死亡数目,死亡率

联想记忆
population [.pɔpju'leiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 人口 ,(全体)居民,人数

联想记忆
vaccination [.væksi'neiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 接种疫苗,种痘

 
conceived

想一想再看

v. 构思;设想(conceive的过去式)

 
initiative [i'niʃətiv]

想一想再看

adj. 创始的,初步的,自发的
n. 第一步

联想记忆
inequity [in'ekwəti]

想一想再看

n. 不公平,不公正

联想记忆
clinical ['klinikəl]

想一想再看

adj. 临床的

 
pride [praid]

想一想再看

n. 自豪,骄傲,引以自豪的东西,自尊心
vt

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。