手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED演讲视频 > 正文

非洲是沉睡的巨人 而我在尝试唤醒它

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

What's up, people? First of all, I cannot believe I'm on TED Talk. This is a big deal.

大家都好么?我不敢相信自己正在做TED演讲。这可是个大事儿。
Because right now, everybody in my village is watching this. And so, of course, my bride price just went up.
因为现在我们村所有人都在看这个演讲。当然,我的聘礼也水涨船高啦!
My name is Adeola Fayehun. I'm from Nigeria.
我叫阿迪奥拉·法伊罕,来自尼日利亚。
I live in the US, I'm a journalist, or a comedian, or a satirist, anything you want me to be, really. I'm every woman, it's all in me.
我现居美国,是个记者,也是喜剧演员、讽刺家,你想让我是什么就是什么。所有女性的社会角色都能在我身上找到。
I host a YouTube show called "Keeping It Real with Adeola."
我有个叫《与Adeola一起认清现实》的YouTube节目。
Now this show is a gentle, respectful and very blunt way of calling out corrupt African leaders.
这个节目用温和、尊重,但又非常直率的方式揭露贪腐的非洲领导人。
I don't know which party my wife belongs to, but she belongs to my kitchen.
我不知道我妻子隶属哪个党,但是她属于我的厨房。
Oh, my God! I need some water -- I said I need some water!
哦,老天爷!我需要水--我都说了我要喝水!
See? I basically keep it real with them, ha! Especially when they mess up, which is a lot of times.
看到没?我就想让他们认清现实,哈!尤其是他们搞砸了的时候。这种情况还挺多。
If any African official is watching me, by the way, I'm not talking about you, sir.
顺便说一下,如果有非洲官员看这个演讲的话,先生,我说的不是您。
I'm talking about your colleagues, yes.
而是您的同事。
I do this because Africa has everything in it to be great.
我这么做是因为非洲拥有所有发展进步的要素。
You know, I grew up believing that Africa as a continent is a giant.
我从小到大都相信非洲大陆是个巨人。
We've got skills, intellectuals, natural resources more than any other continent.
我们拥有技能和才智,自然资源也远多于其它大陆。
Africa supplies 31 percent of the world's gold, manganese and uranium, 57 percent of the world's diamonds and 13 percent of the world's oil.
非洲出产全球31%的金子、锰和铀,全球57%的钻石和13%的石油。
We have no reason to depend on aid or borrowing money from China or the World Bank.
我们没理由要依靠援助,或从中国或世界银行借钱。
But without good leaders, we're like an eagle that has no idea it could fly, let alone soar.
但是没有好的领导人,我们就像不知道自己可以飞的老鹰,更别提翱翔了。
Africa is a like a sleeping giant.
非洲就像一个沉睡的巨人。
Now the truth is, I'm trying to wake up this giant, and that's why I air the dirty laundry of those in charge of the giant.
现在我试图唤醒这个巨人,因此,我会把掌管巨人的那些人的丑事抖出来。
Our politicians, our religious leaders, with huge respect, of course, because more than anything else, African leaders love to be respected.
我们的政客和宗教领袖,当然我是心存尊敬的,因为非洲领导人最爱的就是被人尊敬。
So I give it to them in doses. On my show, I kneel for them -- ha! -- I call them my uncles, my aunties, my fathers in the lord,
所以我给够他们尊敬。在我的节目里,我跪拜他们,哈!我管他们叫叔叔、婶婶,尊敬而神圣的长辈,
and then -- I insult them for insulting our intelligence.
然后,我因为他们羞辱我们的智商而反过来羞辱他们。
And it's because we are tired of the hypocrisy and false promises.
因为我们厌倦了表里不一和虚假的承诺。
For example, the Nigerian president vowed to end medical tourism by fixing our dilapidated hospitals and building us new ones.
比如,尼日利亚总统承诺通过修缮国内老旧的医院,并建造新医院来终结医疗旅游业。
But what did he do? He spends three months receiving treatment in London in 2017.
但他做了什么呢?2017年,他在伦敦接受了为期三个月的治疗。
We were without a president for three months. We were president-less for three months.
我们的国家整整三个月都没有总统。三个月无总统!
So then it becomes my job to call out the President, with respect, of course.
所以,我就要戳破这件事。当然了,我是充满敬意的。
I said, "Ha, Mr. President, it's your girl, Adeola. You know how I do, how you doing? You have no shame."
我说:“哈,总统先生。我是你的国民,Adeola。您好呀!您真不知羞耻。”
I forgot to add "sir." "Sir, you have no shame. You have no fear of God."
我忘了说“先生”了。“先生,您真不知羞耻。您对上帝没有敬畏。”
Thirty-five thousand Nigerian doctors are presently working in the US, the UK and Canada, doing amazing things,
3万5千名尼日利亚医生目前在美国、英国和加拿大工作,做着伟大的事情,
because in Nigeria, they are not well-paid, neither do they have the necessary equipment to do the job of being a doctor.
因为在尼日利亚,他们工资不高,也没有医生所需的必要设备。
And this is happening in many African countries. We have the capacity to fly.
很多非洲国家都有同样的情况。我们有飞翔的能力。
But sadly, a lot of African talent is flying straight out of Africa to other continents.
但遗憾的是,很多非洲人直接飞出了非洲,去往其它大陆。
For example, this Nigerian doctor operated on an unborn baby in Texas.
比如,这位尼日利亚医生在德克萨斯州为未出生婴儿做手术。
Also, this Nigerian doctor discovered the neurological effects of concussion on athletes.
而这位医生发现了脑震荡对运动员的神经学影响。

非洲是沉睡的巨人 而我在尝试唤醒它

And many countries have African athletes winning the gold medal for them.

很多国家有非洲裔运动员为它们效力并赢得金牌。
The interesting thing is, we're waiting for God to fix Africa.
有意思的是,我们在等待上帝拯救非洲。
Like, for real, it's not a joke, we are, we're waiting for God.
这不是个笑话。我们真的在等待上帝。
I mean, just look at the president of Burundi.
就看看布隆迪共和国总统。
He's jailing journalists and opposition members, but he declared national day of prayer so that people could pray for God to fix the country.
他囚禁记者和反对派人士,但是他同时又宣布设立国家祈祷日,这样民众就能向上帝祈祷解决布隆迪的问题。
And I'm like, shouldn't he be fixing the country?
我就不明白了,不应该是他处理国家问题么?
Oh, no, no, no, no, no, no. We want God to fix it.
哦,不,不,不,不,不,不。我们想让上帝解决。
Do you see what I have to deal with?
你们知道我需要应付什么了吧?
I'm telling you, thunder is getting ready to hit these politicians some day. We are better than this.
我很确定,这些政客总有一天会被雷劈。我们原本可以做得更好。
I want our leaders to start taking responsibility and stop putting everything on God.
我希望我们的领导人开始负起责任,不要所有事都靠上帝。
God has given us everything we need. It's right here, let's use it.
上帝已经给了我们所需的一切。都在这儿,让我们用起来!
But here's the thing, my favorite part of what I do is featuring Africans doing amazing work, ordinary people touching lives.
但是重点是,我最喜欢展现非洲人的惊人之举,普通人改变人生。
Like this Kenyan woman, Wangari Maathai, the first African woman to receive the Nobel Peace prize,
比如这位肯尼亚妇女旺加里·马塔伊,她是第一位获得诺贝尔和平奖的非洲女性,
for standing up for human rights and planting a million trees.
她挺身维护人权,并种下了百万棵树。
Also this Zimbabwean woman, Dr. Tererai Trent, who was married off at the age of 14 in exchange for a cow.
还有这位津巴布韦妇女,特莱艾·特伦恩特博士,在她14岁时,家里人就把她嫁出去,换了一头牛。
Yet, this woman taught herself to read and write, and she ended up on Oprah's show.
但是她自学读写,最后还上了奥普拉的节目。
Oh, Father, I want to be on Oprah some day.
哦,天父,我也想有一天能上奥普拉的节目。
Today, this woman has built schools for thousands of children in Zimbabwe.
现在,特伦恩特博士为津巴布韦成千上万的孩子建造了学校。
Also, popular British architect David Adjaye has designed spectacular buildings around the world.
此外,著名英国设计师戴维·阿德贾伊设计的壮观建筑遍布全球。
And he's both Ghanian and Tanzanian,
他是加纳和坦桑尼亚人,
so we know that it has to be the Ghanian Jollof rice, which he ate, that gave him the inspiration to design.
所以肯定是因为他总吃加纳烩米饭才有了设计灵感。
Ah, maybe it's the Nigerian Jollof rice, because Nigerian one is better.
也许他吃的是尼日利亚烩米饭,因为尼日利亚的更好。
Anyway, but that is what gave him the inspiration to become the great man that he is today.
不管怎样,这给了他灵感,让他成为今天我们看到的成功人士。
And while I have your attention, I have one more thing to say, so please move closer.
既然各位在全神贯注地听,我还有一件事要讲,所以请靠近一些。
OK, that's good, don't get too close, that's good.
可以了,别靠太近,这样就好。
I don't like the way some of you portray Africa. Not all of you, just some of you. You especially.
我不喜欢你们有些人描述非洲的方式。不是所有人,只是你们有些人,尤其是你。
First of all, it's not a country, it's a continent.
首先,非洲不是个国家。它是个大陆。
I do not know Paul from Uganda, I don't know Rebecca from Zimbabwe.
我不认识来自乌干达的保罗,也不认识来自津巴布韦的丽贝卡。
Nigeria is as far from Zimbabwe as New York is from France.
尼日利亚和津巴布韦的距离有纽约到法国那么远!
And it's not a bunch of naked people in need of Western charity.
而且非洲人也不是衣不遮体,急需西方国家的救助。
You have it all wrong. Lions are not roaming our streets, OK?
你完全搞错了!狮子也不在我们大街上溜达,好嘛?
And I could go on, but you already know what I'm talking about.
我可以继续列举下去,但是你应该已经领悟我的意思了。
So while I try to do my job, trying to wake up the sleeping giant, Africa,
所以我做好我的事情,试图唤醒非洲这个沉睡的巨人,
so she could take her rightful place on the world's arena, you can your bit, too.
让她能够在世界舞台上拥有应有的地位,你也可以做好你的事情。
Please listen more. Listen to your African friends without a preconceived notion of what you think that they're going to say.
请更多地倾听。听非洲朋友讲话时,不要带着你认为他们会说什么的先入为主的观念。
Read African books. Oh, my God, watch African movies.
读非洲的书。上帝啊,看非洲电影!
Or at the very least, learn some of the names of our 54 beautiful countries. That's right, 54, baby, five-four.
或者最起码,了解非洲54个美丽国家的名字。没错,54,亲爱的,54。
Alright, y'all, it's been real, and I'm keeping it real right up in here.
好了,各位,很高兴讲了这么多,我在这儿努力以求真实。
Until next time, I'm going to see you all later. Peace out.
下次见,我们会再见的。再见啦。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
capacity [kə'pæsiti]

想一想再看

n. 能力,容量,容积; 资格,职位
adj.

联想记忆
soar [sɔ:, sɔə]

想一想再看

vi. 翱翔,高飞,猛增,高涨,高耸
n. 翱

 
inspiration [.inspə'reiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 灵感,吸入,鼓舞人心(的东西)

联想记忆
insult ['insʌlt]

想一想再看

vt. 侮辱,凌辱,辱骂
n. 侮辱,辱骂

 
dilapidated [di'læpideitid]

想一想再看

adj. 毁坏的,荒废的,要塌似的 动词dilapida

联想记忆
spectacular [spek'tækjulə]

想一想再看

adj. 壮观的,令人惊叹的
n. 惊人之举,

联想记忆
popular ['pɔpjulə]

想一想再看

adj. 流行的,大众的,通俗的,受欢迎的

联想记忆
medal ['medl]

想一想再看

n. 奖章,勋章,纪念章
vi. 获得奖章

联想记忆
arena [ə'ri:nə]

想一想再看

n. 竞技场

联想记忆
intelligence [in'telidʒəns]

想一想再看

n. 理解力,智力
n. 情报,情报工作,情报

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。