手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED演讲视频 > 正文

宇航员在外太空吃什么?(1)

来源:可可英语 编辑:Leon   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

When we think of space, we may think of the night sky, space suits, science fiction, space stations.

当我们想到太空时,我们可能会想到夜空、太空服、科幻小说、空间站。

With NASA's Artemis mission, we're going back to the Moon, for the first time in 50 years,

美国宇航局的阿尔忒弥斯任务开启后,我们将重返月球,这是50年来的第一次,

and this time, with the first woman on the Moon.

这一次,第一位女性将登上月球。

You may also have heard that we're planning to send humans to the surface of Mars,

你可能也听说过我们计划将人类送上火星表面,

and the logistics and rocketry for this long and arduous mission are going to be figured out eventually,

这项长期而艰巨的任务的后勤和火箭技术最终将得到解决,

but shockingly, one of the big problems we don't have a solution for is something

但令人震惊的是,我们还没有解决的一个大问题是

that most people don't think about, and that is food.

大多数人都没有考虑到的,那就是食物。

What are we going to feed the astronauts going to Mars?

我们要给去火星的宇航员吃什么?

It turns out it's incredibly complicated.

事实证明这非常复杂。

Before we go there, I'd like to go over why I am here, talking to you about this.

在我们开始之前,我想先解释一下我为什么在这里和你们谈这个。

I am an industrial designer and an aerospace architect.

我是一名工业设计师和航空航天建筑师。

I run a design firm called Nonfiction, and what we do is that we take science fiction and we make it real.

我经营着一家名为非虚构的设计公司,我们所做的就是把科幻小说变成现实。

It's a real job.

这是份真正的工作。

Just to give you an idea of the type of work that we do, here are a few examples.

为了让你们对我们所做的工作有一个概念,这里有几个例子。

We take technology and we make it a natural extension of the human body.

我们利用科技,让它成为人体的自然延伸。

We work with prominent neuroscientists and design wearables that help people fall asleep and stay asleep all night.

我们与杰出的神经科学家合作,设计可穿戴设备,帮助人们入睡并整夜保持睡眠状态。

We design batteries, low-cost, for rural Africa.

我们为非洲农村设计低成本的电池。

We build schools that support neurodiversity and lifelong learning.

我们建立了支持神经多样性和终身学习的学校。

We turn humans into superhumans.

我们把人类变成超人。

So as you can see, I love working on projects that make the world a better place through design.

正如你所看到的,我喜欢从事那些通过设计让世界变得更美好的项目。

But most importantly, I love food.

但最重要的是,我喜欢食物。

I've been told that food is my love language.

有人告诉我,食物是我表达爱的语言。

When I like someone, I feed them.

当我喜欢一个人,我就会投喂他。

When I don't like someone ...

当我不喜欢某人时……

Well, there's always pizza.

披萨总是有的。

So when I found out about this space food competition put together by NASA,

所以当我发现这个由美国国家航空航天局、

the Canadian Space Agency and the Methuselah Foundation, I knew I had to be part of it.

加拿大航天局和玛士撒拉基金会联合举办的太空食品比赛时,我知道我必须参与其中。

It's called the Deep Space Food Challenge.

它被称为外太空食物挑战。

The premise of the challenge is to figure out what

这项挑战的前提是要弄清楚

and how we're going to feed astronauts on their way to a deep-space mission, like going to Mars.

在宇航员前往外太空(比如前往火星)任务的途中,我们将为他们提供什么食物。

So sending living and breathing humans to Mars or a deep-space mission is very tricky, as you can imagine.

所以,你可以想象,把活着的人类送到火星或外太空的任务是非常棘手的。

Going to Mars is going to be extremely dangerous.

去火星将是极其危险的一件事。

The round trip is going to last two and a half to three years.

这次往返将持续两年半到三年的时间。

The whole time, we're going to be bombarded with life-threatening levels of space radiation

在整个过程中,我们会受到威胁生命的太空辐射的轰击,

and we're going to float in microgravity or stand on the surface of Mars, experiencing one-third of Earth's gravity.

我们会漂浮在微重力环境中,或者站在火星表面,体验地球三分之一的重力。

So it's really uncomfortable to be up there.

所以在上面真的很不舒服。

And so all of these conditions, on top of isolation and stress,

所以所有这些条件,再加上与世界隔绝和压力,

are going to make it very hard for astronauts to keep their weight and their health at optimal levels.

会让宇航员很难将他们的体重和健康保持在最佳水平。

And one of the main culprits of them losing their weight is actually unappetizing food.

他们变瘦的罪魁祸首之一实际上是令人食欲不振的食物。

So imagine having to eat things like these for three years straight, right?

想象一下你连续三年吃这样的东西,对吧?

And looking at the same five people.

还要看着同样的五个人。

That's going to be really hard.

这真的很难。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
challenge ['tʃælindʒ]

想一想再看

n. 挑战
v. 向 ... 挑战

 
rural ['ru:rəl]

想一想再看

adj. 农村的

联想记忆
radiation [.reidi'eiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 辐射,放射线

 
extension [iks'tenʃən]

想一想再看

n. 伸展,延长,扩充,电话分机

联想记忆
foundation [faun'deiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 基础,根据,建立
n. 粉底霜,基

联想记忆
logistics [ləu'dʒistiks]

想一想再看

n. 后勤学,运筹学,物流

联想记忆
eventually [i'ventjuəli]

想一想再看

adv. 终于,最后

 
uncomfortable [ʌn'kʌmftəbl]

想一想再看

adj. 不舒服的,不自在的

 
complicated ['kɔmplikeitid]

想一想再看

adj. 复杂的,难懂的
动词complica

 
prominent ['prɔminənt]

想一想再看

adj. 杰出的,显著的,突出的

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。