But the seed costs 50 times more than ordinary corn.
但此种子的售价是普通玉米种子的五十多倍
Can I help you, sir?I just wanna show you something, like nothing you've ever seen.
什么事 先生? 我只想给你您看样东西 您之前从没见过的
It's called a hybrid seed,the finest seed you'll ever put on your land.
这是杂交种 绝对会是您种过的最好的种子
One of Garst's colleagues notes:You would say six or seven dollars a bushel,
加斯特的一位同事这样写道: 你一说一蒲式耳六到七美元
and you could almost see them reaching around to their hip pocket to get their gun.
你几乎会看到他们的手都向裤后袋摸去 准备拔枪
I said I'm not interested. Get off my land!
我说了我没兴趣 滚出我的地盘!
I just wanted to give you the chance of your lifetime.Get off my land!
这可是千载难逢的机会 滚出去!
It's a hard sell when a third of U.S. farms are being abandoned.
美国当时三分之一的农场都被遗弃了 这注定是场艰难的持久战
We had to sell corn.
我们必须把玉米种子卖出去
If I didn't trade the corn for money,
如果卖不出去 拿不到钱
we wouldn't eat or sleep.
我们会吃不下 睡不着
Garst gambles everything.
加斯特孤注一掷
He gives farmers the seed for free,
他给农民免费提供这些种子
in return for a share of their profits.
以收成利润的分成作为回报
Just give us a chance.Thank you, sir.
请给我们一次机会 谢谢您 先生