'You spoke wonderfully, Twisdon, 'he said.
"您讲得棒极了,特维斯顿,"他说。
'Now you must stay for a few days. There's excellent fishing here. '
"您必须在这里呆几天。这有一个刮刮叫的垂钓活动。"
We had a good supper-which I needed-and sat in front of a fire in his sitting-room.
我们吃了一顿丰盛的晚餐--这正是我之所需--然后一块坐在客厅的火炉前。
I thought the time had come for me to tell the truth and see if this man could help me.
我觉得这正是把实情告诉他的时机,看此人能不能帮我一把。
'Listen, Sir Harry, I've got something very important to say to you.
"听我说,哈里爵士,我有非常重要的事情跟您说。
You're an honest man, and I'm going to be honest too.
您是个实在人,我也同样会实实在在。
Everything you said tonight was dangerous rubbish. '
今天晚上您讲的都是危险的无稽之谈。"
'Was it? I wasn't sure myself. Do you think Germany is going to start a war with us? '
"是吗?我自己还说不准。您认为德国要和我们开战吗?"
'In six weeks' time you won't need to ask me that. Listen, and I'll tell you a story. '
"六周之后您就不必问我了。听我说,我给您讲一件事。"
I sat in front of the fire, in that peaceful room, and told him everything.
在那间宁静的屋子里,我坐在火炉前,把一切都告诉了他。
He heard about Scudder, his notebook, the milk-man, and my travels in Scotland.
他听着关于斯卡德尔、以及他的小笔记本、送奶员、以及我在苏格兰的历程。