When we arrived at the meeting, there were about five hundred people waiting.
我们赶到会场,已经有五百来人等在那儿。
I was introduced as a 'trusted Australian leader' and then Sir Harry started to speak.
我作为"可信赖的澳大利亚领导人"被介绍给大家,接着哈里爵士开始讲话。
It was mostly about preparing for war.
内容主要是如何备战。
He said the Germans didn't want a war and that if we stopped building new warships, the Germans would do the same.
他说德国人并不想打仗,如果我们停止建造军舰,德国人也会同样做。
I thought about Scudder's black book in my pocket.
我则想着口袋里斯卡德尔小笔记本上的事。
But behind all the rubbish I could see that Sir Harry was a nice man.
除了这一番胡言乱语,我可以看出哈里爵士为人不错。
And he spoke very badly.
而讲话相当糟糕。
I knew I wasn't a good speaker, but I would be better than him.
我知道自己演讲水平也不怎么样,但总比他讲得好。
I simply told them everything I knew about Australia.
关于澳大利亚,我把知道的一古脑儿都端了出来。
I said that Britain and Australia must work together and be friends.
我讲到英国和澳大利亚要同舟共济,友好相处。
I think I was rather a success.
我觉得我的讲话挺成功。
When we were back in his car again, Sir Harry was delighted.
我们回到车上时,哈里爵士兴高采烈。