I ran hard, watching the skyline in front of me, and soon I thought I could see distant figures on the hill.
使劲跑着,不一会儿,我觉得可以看清山上的人影了。
I turned again and ran down to the road.
我再折身奔向大路。
If you have enemies all around you, the best plan is to hide while they search and do not find you.
假如敌人包围了你,最好的办法是在他们搜你而不可得的时候藏着别动。
But there was nothing to hide in, nothing but the moor, the heather, and the white road.
然而这里却无处藏身,除了荒原、石楠丛和白色的道路外什么都没有。
Then, in a bend in the road, I found the roadman.
后来,在拐弯处我见到那个修路人。
He had just started work mending the road, when he saw me.
我看见他的时候,他刚开始干活。
I'm sorry I ever stopped farming!'he said. 'I was my own boss then.
"我真后悔我怎么不种地了!"他说。"那么着我自己管自己。
Now I have to do what the government orders,
可现在政府叫我干什么就得干什么,
and I'm a prisoner here with aching eyes and a bad back.
搞得眼疼腰酸,整个是罪犯。
And my head's going to explode!'
我的头快要裂了!"
He was about the same age as me, and wore big black glasses.
他和我年纪相仿,戴着墨镜。