Which battle was it,Tom?Villers-en-Cauchies.
汤姆 是哪场战役 维勒斯 考其斯战役
Very good. Thousands slain. Served those Frenchies out.
很好 数千人丧生 活该那些法国佬
Oh. Saving your presence,ma'am.
哦 请原谅我的无礼 夫人
Be not afraid of abusing the Jacobins on my account,Judge.
法官大人 不要因为我的原因 就不好意斥责那些雅各宾派
They guillotined my husband.Oh,savages. Beasts.
他们把我丈夫送上了断头台 哦 那帮野蛮人 畜生
And his property? Confiscated.A disaster.
他的财产呢 没收了 真是场灾难
Of course,by then, much of my wealth was portable,so.
当然 不过那时候 我的大部分财产都可以随身携带
Yes,portable property is happiness in a pocketbook.
是啊 可以随身携带的财产 是皮夹子里的幸福
Do I detect you in irony?
我似乎闻到了讽刺的味道
It is my considered opinion that irony is insult with a smiling face.Indeed.No.No?
窃以为讽刺就是面带微笑的侮辱 没错 不 不
No,irony is the bringing together of contradictory truths
讽刺是把相互对立的事实摆在一起
to make out of the contradiction a new truth with a laugh or a smile
使人开怀大笑或者会心一笑 进而通过这种对立得出一个新的事实
and I confess that a truth must come with one or the other
我承认事实必定是结伴而来的
or I account it as false and a denial of the very nature of humanity itself.
否则我不承认其为事实 而是对最根本的人性的否定
My cousin is a writer.Of what? Jane?Novels.
我的表妹是一名作家 写什么的 简 小说