手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 牛津英语在线课堂 > 正文

如何描述一个人

来源:可可英语 编辑:alice   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Hi, I'm Martin, welcome to Oxford Online English!

嗨,我是 Martin,欢迎回到牛津在线英语!
In this lesson, you can learn how to describe a person who you know in English.Think about someone you know well.
在这节课上,你可以学到如何用英语描述你认识的人。想一想你很熟的一个人。
It could be someone in your family, a close friend, someone you work with, or someone else.
可以是你的家里人、密友、同事或其他人。
How would you describe that person?What does that person look like?
你会如何描述那个人呢?那个人长什么样?
What kind of personality does this person have?
这个人的个性如何?
Describing a person is useful in many situations, including speaking exams like the IELTS speaking test or the FCE speaking exam.
描述一个人在很多场合中都很有用,包括像雅思口语考试或 FCE 口语考试这样的口语考试。
In this lesson, you'll learn how to describe a person in detail using clear, natural English.
在这节课上,你会学到如何用清楚自然的英语详细地描述一个人。
During this lesson, you're going to practice, so you need to think of someone you're going to describe.
上课期间你要进行练习,所以需要想出一个你要描述的人。
It can be anyone you know well.Got someone?Great! Let's begin.
可以是你熟识的任何一个人。有人选了吗?太棒了!我们开始吧。
Part one: describing appearance.First question: what does he or she look like?
第一部分:描述外貌。第一个问题:他(她)长什么样?
What can you say when describing a person's appearance?
描述一个人的外貌时能说些什么呢?
You can talk about the person's height and build: "My brother is tall and well-built."
你可以讲讲这个人的身高和体形:“我的哥哥个子高,体格健壮。”
"My friend Lia is medium height and slim."
“我的朋友 Lia 中等身高,身材苗条。”
"Craig, who I work with, is short and overweight."
“我的同事 Craig 很矮并且肥胖。”
Do you know what "well-built" means?
你知道 "well-built" (体格健壮)是什么意思吗?
Someone who is well-built is broad and strong, with big muscles.
体格健壮的人体形很宽很壮,有大块的肌肉。
You can also add adverbs to make your sentences more precise: "My brother is quite tall and well-built."
还可以加上副词使你的句子更精确:“我的哥哥相当高,体格健壮。”
"My friend Lia is medium height and really slim."
“我的朋友 Lia 中等身高,非常苗条。”
"Craig, who I work with, is short and a little overweight."
“我的同事 Craig 很矮,还有点胖。”
Then, maybe add something about the person's hair: "He has short, brown hair, but he's going bald fast."
接下来或许可以加点内容描述那个人的头发:“他是棕色的短发,但是秃得很快。”
"She has long, dark blonde hair.""He has curly, fair hair."What does "fair" mean here?
“她留着一头暗金色长发。”“他有着卷卷的浅色金发。”"fair" 在这里是什么意思?
It's the opposite of "dark", and you can use it to describe someone's hair or skin.
它是 "dark" 的反义词,可以用它来描述某人的头发或皮肤。
Finally, what else can you say about the person's appearance?
最后,关于那个人的外貌你还能说些什么呢?
Imagine you're describing the person to me, and you want me to be able to recognise this person from your description.What could you say?
假设你在向我描述这个人,你想让我从你的描述中认出那个人。你能说什么呢?
There are many possibilities, of course, but here are a few suggestions: "He looks a bit like a younger version of Vin Diesel."
当然了,你有很多选择,但是下面是我的一些建议:“他看上去有点像年轻版的范·迪塞尔。”
"She's really beautiful, with very striking features.""He has a long scar on his right elbow."
“她非常漂亮,容貌突出。”“他的右肘上有一条长疤。”
Do you know what "striking features" means?In this context, "features" refers to someone's face.
你知道 "striking features" (突出的容貌)是什么意思吗?在这个语境中,"features" 指的是某人的脸。
"Striking" means that you can't help noticing something.
"striking" 的意思是你情不自禁地注意某事。
So if someone has "striking features", it means he or she has a very unusual and attractive face.What about "scar"?
所以如果某人“容貌突出”,意思就是他或她的脸长得与众不同,很有魅力。那 "scar" (疤痕)呢?
Scars are left over when you get a deep cut or have an operation.
有比较深的伤口或做了手术之后就会留下疤痕。
Okay, so now you should be able to make three sentences about the person you're describing, like this: "My brother is quite tall and well-built.
好了,现在你应该能够像下面这样用三个句子描述别人:“我的哥哥相当高,体格健壮。
He has short, brown hair, but he's going bald fast.He looks a bit like a younger version of Vin Diesel."
他是棕色的短发,但是秃得很快。他看上去有点像年轻版的范·迪塞尔。”
Your turn: pause the video and make three sentences about the person you're describing.
轮到你了,暂停视频,用三个句子描述一个人。
Remember: height/build, then hair, then general appearance.Could you do this?
记住,要介绍的内容包括:身高/体格,然后是头发,然后是整体外貌。你能做到吗?
If so, great, great job, we've only done one part, and you've already got the start of a good description.
如果能做到那就太棒了,干得好,我们只讲完了一个部分,而你就已经掌握了良好的描述的开头。
But of course, there's more we can add.Part two: describing positive characteristics.
但是当然了,我们还能加入更多内容。第二部分:描述积极的特征。
Another question: what's this person like?Do you know what this question means?
另一个问题:这个人是什么样的人?你知道这个问题是什么意思吗?
It means I want you to tell me about the person's personality.
意思是我想让你给我介绍一下这个人的性格。
Let's start with positive words you can use to talk about someone's character.
我们先来讲讲描述某人的性格时可以用的一些褒义词。
Think about the person you're describing.What good things can you say about him or her?
想一想你要描述的这个人。关于他(她),你有什么好话要说?
You could describe someone as "kind", but it's better to be more specific if you can.
你可以用 "kind" (善良)来描述某人,但是可以的话,最好还是要更具体一些。
Better words to use are: "considerate", meaning someone who always thinks about other people and their needs.
更好的词包括:"considerate" (体贴),意思是某人总是会考虑到别人和他们的需要。
Or "warm", meaning someone who shows positive feelings to others and makes other people feel good.
或者 "warm" (温暖),意思是某人对其他人表现出了积极的情感,使其他人感觉舒服。
Or, maybe this person is good at making other people laugh.
或者这个人可能很擅长逗别人笑。
You could say they are "funny" or they "have a good sense of humour".
你可以用 "funny" (搞笑)或 "have a good sense of humour" (有幽默感)来形容他。
More generally, you can describe someone as "fun" or "entertaining" if people enjoy spending time with them.What else?
一般来说,如果人们喜欢和他待在一起,那你就可以用 "fun" (风趣)或 "entertaining" (使人愉快的)来形容他。还有什么呢?
Well, for a friend, it's very important that a person is "reliable", that you can depend on them to keep their promises and be there for you when you need them.
对朋友来说,一个人一定要 "reliable" (可靠的),这样你就信得过他,知道他会信守诺言,知道当你需要他时他会在你身边。
Similarly, you could describe people as "honest" or "straightforward".
相似的,你可以用 "honest" (诚实)或 "straightforward" (直接)来形容别人。
If someone is "straightforward", they're honest, easy to understand and easy to spend time with.
如果你用 "straightforward" 来形容一个人,那就表示他很诚实,很好懂,很容易相处。
Straightforward people say what they think, but not in a rude way, and they don't keep secrets or gossip about other people.Let's look at three more.
直接的人心里想什么就会说什么,但不是很无礼的那种,他们无法保守秘密或关于别人的八卦。我们再来讲三个。
Most of us like spending time with people who are "cheerful", people who smile a lot and are usually in a good mood.
我们大多数人都喜欢和 "cheerful" (兴高采烈,乐观)人待在一起,他们经常笑,而且一般心情都不错。
Cheerful people are often "positive" and "optimistic", they expect good things to happen.
"cheerful" 的人通常都很 "positive" (积极)和 "optimistic" (乐观),他们期待发生的是好事。
So now you have twelve positive adjectives you can use to describe someone's personality.
现在你有12个褒义词可以用来描述某人的性格。
Can you use any of these adjectives to talk about the person you're describing?
你能用这些形容词中的一些来谈论你要描述的那个人吗?
When you use these adjectives, always try to add an example or a reason.
用这些形容词时,要时常试着加上一个例子或原因。
For example, don't just say: "My brother is really funny.""My friend Lia is a very cheerful person."
举个例子,不要只说:“我哥哥非常搞笑。”“我的朋友 Lia 是个非常欢快的人。”
Add some details or examples to make your answer more interesting, like this: "My brother's really funny.
加上一些细节或例子使你的回答更有趣,比如下面这样:“我的哥哥非常搞笑。
He likes making weird jokes, generally at the most inappropriate moment.""My friend Lia is a very cheerful person.
他喜欢在最不合适的时候开奇怪的玩笑。”我的朋友 Lia 是个非常欢快的人。
Even early in the morning, she's always smiling and in a good mood.I don't know how she does it!"
她总是一大早就在笑,而且心情不错。我不知道她是怎么做到的。”
If possible, you could even add a story to really illustrate the person's character.
可能的话,你甚至还可以加上一个故事来详细说明这个人的性格。
"Craig, who I work with, is such an honest guy.I remember one time he found a wallet with £500 in a pub.
“我的同事 Craig 是个非常诚实的人。我记得有一次他在一家酒吧里捡到了一个装有500英镑的钱包。
It would have been easy to keep the money, there was nothing in the wallet to say whose it was,
要留下这笔钱很容易,钱包里没有任何东西能证明它的主人是谁,
but he said it wouldn't be right to keep it, and he insisted on going straight to the police, right that minute."
但是他说把钱留下来是不对的,他当下就坚持要直接去找警察。”
Adding stories like this can really bring a description to life.You've also seen some good ways to use these adjectives.
像这样加上个小故事能够让你的描述更加生动。你还看到过使用这些形容词的一些好方法。
"My brother is really __.""My friend Lia is a very __ .""Craig is such an __ guy."
“我的哥哥很......”“我的朋友 Lia 非常......”“Craig 是个特别......的人。”
Of course, you can change these and use them in your answer.So what about you?
当然了,你可以变一下,把它们用在你自己的回答里。你呢?
Pause the video, and try to use some of these adjectives about the person you're describing.
暂停一下视频,试着用这其中的一些形容词谈论你要描述的那个人。
Don't forget to add details and examples to your description, or you can even add a story if possible!
不要忘记往你的描述中加入细节和例子,或者可能的话还可以加上一个故事。
Next, let's look at part three: describing negative characteristics.No one's perfect, right?
接下来我们来讲第三部分:描述不好的特征。人无完人,对吧?
We all have our flaws, so let's look at how to describe the bad side of someone's personality.
我们都有自己的缺陷,所以我们来看看如何描述某人性格中不好的一面。
Many of the words you saw in part two have direct opposites which you can use.
第二部分的很多单词都有可以用的反义词。
For example: "kind" → "unkind", "considerate" → "inconsiderate"."honest" → "dishonest", "reliable" → "unreliable".
举个例子,"kind" 的反义词是 "unkind","considerate" 的反义词是 "inconsiderate"。"honest" 的反义词是 "dishonest","reliable" 的反义词是 "unreliable"。
Of course, there are other words you can use, too.Some people can be "selfish" or "self-centered", they think about themselves too much, and don't think about the needs of others.
当然了,还有其他的单词可以用。有些人很 "selfish" (自私)或 "self-centered" (以自我为中心),他们凡事只顾自己,不考虑其他人的需要。
These two words have a similar meaning.Even more extreme, you can describe someone as "self-obsessed".
这两个单词的意思相近。更极端一点,你可以用 "self-obsessed" (自恋)来形容别人。
A self-obsessed person only thinks about themselves, and doesn't seem to realise that other people exist at all!
"self-obsessed" 的人只想到他们自己,似乎根本没有意识到别人的存在。
Not everyone can be funny, but you don't want to be seen as "humourless" or "dull".
不是每个人都搞笑,但是你也不想自己看上去 "humourless" (没有幽默感)或者 "dull" (无聊,无趣)。
"Dull" is similar to "boring", while "humourless" means that someone has no sense of humour and is too serious.
"dull" 和 "boring" 很像,而 "humourless" 表示某人没有幽默感,太过严肃。
If someone doesn't do what they say or doesn't keep their promises, you've already seen two words you can use "dishonest" or "unreliable".
如果某人言行不一,或者言而无信,你已经看到过两个可以用的单词了:"dishonest" (不诚实)或 "unreliable" (不靠谱)。
Similarly, you could describe someone as "insincere", meaning that someone says things without meaning them.
相似地,你可以用 "insincere" (不真诚)来描述某人,意思是某人言不由衷。
For example, if someone is always friendly on the surface, but they don't really feel anything inside, you could describe that person as insincere.
举个例子,如果某人表面上总是表现得很友好,但内心毫无波动,你就可以用 "insincere" 描述那个人。
Their friendliness doesn't mean anything.Finally, cheerful people are always in a good mood, but what's the opposite?
他们的友好毫无意义。最后,欢快的人心情总是不错,但是它的反义词是什么呢?
You could describe someone as "moody" or "grumpy".
你可以用 "moody" (喜怒无常)或 "grumpy" (脾气暴躁)描述别人。
"Moody" people's moods change very easily, and they are often in a bad mood.
"moody"的人心情很容易变化,他们经常心情不好。
"Grumpy" people never seem to be in a good mood and are always unhappy and negative.
"grumpy" 的人似乎永远都心情不好,总是不开心,很负面。
So, now you have twelve negative adjectives to go with your twelve positive adjectives!
现在你有了12个贬义词,与12个褒义词相对应!
As before, when you use these adjectives to describe someone, try to add details or examples.
和前面一样,用这些形容词描述某个人时,试着加上细节或例子。
For example: "My brother can be a little unreliable sometimes.
举个例子:“我的哥哥有时候会有点不靠谱。
He often 'forgets' to do things he promised he would."
他经常‘忘记’做他答应过要做的事。”
"Lia's great, but sometimes I feel she's a bit insincere.
"Lia 人很棒,但是有时候我感觉她有点不真诚。
She says all these nice things, but I'm not sure she really means them.""My colleague Craig is so moody.
她说的全都是好话,但我不确定她真的是这么想的。”“我的同事 Craig 特别喜怒无常。
He'll be fine one minute, then suddenly he starts acting like he hates everyone.
他上一分钟还是好好的,但是突然一下他就开始表现得像他痛恨所有人一样。
It makes him quite difficult to be around."
这使得他很难相处。”
You can see how we often use slightly more indirect language to talk about someone's negative characteristics.
下面你可以看到我们如何经常用更委婉一点的语言来谈论某人不好的特征。
"My brother can be a little __ sometimes.""Sometimes I feel that she's a bit __."
“我哥哥有时候会有点......”“有时候我觉得她有点......”
Of course, if you really want to be direct, you can be: "My colleague is so __."
当然了,如果你真的想直接一点,那也可以:“我的同事特别......”
Now, pause the video and try to use these words and phrases.
现在暂停视频,并试着用一下这些单词和短语。
Make 2 to 3 sentences, and don't forget to add examples and details!
写两到三个句子,不要忘记加上例子和细节!
Part four: talking about your relationship.
第四部分:谈一谈你们的关系。
Finally, let's add some details about how you know this person and your relationship.
最后,我们加入一些细节来谈论你是怎么认识这个人的,以及你们的关系。
Look at three sentences: "We've known each other ''__.""We met ''__.""We get on __, because __."
我们来看三个句子:“我们认识彼此已经......”。“我们见面是......”“我们相处得......,因为......”
Do you know what "get on" means here?
你知道 "get on" (相处)在这里是什么意思吗?
By itself, it means to have a good relationship with someone.
它本身的意思是和某人关系不错。
You can add adverbs after "get on" to give it different meanings.
你可以在 "get on" 后面加上副词,赋予它别的意思。
For example: "We get on very well.""We get on well sometimes."
举个例子:“我们相处得很融洽。”“我们有时候相处得不错。”
Or you can make it negative: "We don't get on very well."
或者可以把它变成否定的:“我们相处得不是很好。”
Okay, look at the sentences again.How could you complete them?
好吧,再看一遍这些句子。要怎么把它们补充完整呢?
You could say: "We've known each other for about ten years.""We met at university."
你可以说:“我们认识彼此已经大概十年了。”“我们见面是在大学。”
"We get on really well, because we have a similar sense of humour."
“我们相处得很融洽,因为我们的笑点差不多。”
Of course, there are many possibilities: "We've known each other almost our whole lives."
当然了,还有很多选择:“我们几乎从出生就认识彼此了。”
"We met when we were babies, before we could even walk!"
“我们还是婴儿时就见面了,那时候甚至还不会走路呢!”
"We get on well most of the time, although we argue sometimes, too."
“我们大部分时间相处得都很融洽,不过我们偶尔也会吵架。”
Depending on who you're talking about, it might not make sense to use all of these sentences.
根据你所谈论的人的身份,把这些句子全用上可能会讲不通。
For example, if you're talking about your brother or another relative, it doesn't make sense to talk about how long you've known each other or where you met.
举个例子,如果你谈论的是你的哥哥或别的亲戚,讲述你们认识多久了或者是在哪里见面的就说不通了。
However, you can still talk about how well you get on and why.
但你还是可以谈论你们相处得有多好,以及为什么。
You could also add how often you see each other, or what you like to do together.
你还可以加上你们多久见一次或者你们喜欢一起做什么。
"I don't see my brother often, although we talk a couple of times a month.
“我不经常跟我的哥哥见面,不过我们一个月会聊好几次。
When we meet up, we like watching films or playing cards."
我们见面的时候喜欢看电影或打牌。”
Either way, try to make three sentences about the person you're describing, like this: "I've known my friend Lia for about five years.
不论哪一种,你都要试着写出三个句子来谈论你要描述的人,比如这样:“我跟我的朋友 Lia 认识差不多五年了。
We met because we worked in the same place for a few months.
我们之所以会见面是因为我们曾在同一个地方工作了几个月。
We get on really well, because we have a lot in common: we like the same films, the same music, and so on.""I've known Craig since July.
我们相处得非常好,因为我们有很多共同点:我们喜欢同样的电影,同样的音乐等等。”“我是七月份认识的 Craig。
We actually met at a mutual friend's birthday party, and then we realised we work in the same place.
其实我们是在一个共同朋友的生日派对上见面的,接着我们发现我们在同一个地方工作。
We get on alright but we aren't close.We're just different people and we don't seem to have much to talk about."Now you try!
我们相处得还行,但是关系不近。我们俩很不一样,似乎没有太多可聊的内容。”现在你来试试!
Pause the video and make three sentences about your relationship with the person you're talking about.
暂停视频,写出三个句子描述你与你谈论的那个人的关系。
Use the words and phrases from this section.All right, now we have one more thing to do.Part five: making a longer answer.
用上这个部分的单词和短语。好了,现在我们还有最后一个内容。第五部分:给出一个更长的回答。
In this lesson, you've learned how to describe a person by talking about their appearance;
在这节课上,你已经学会了如何通过谈论他们的外貌,
talking about the positive and negative sides of their personality; talking about your relationship and how you know each other.
谈论他们积极的和不好的性格,谈论你们的关系和怎么认识彼此的来描述一个人。
Now, let's put everything we've done together into a longer answer.
现在,我们来把讲过的所有内容放在一起,组成一个更长的回答。
Here's one: "My brother is quite tall and well-built.
这是一个例子:“我的哥哥相当高,体格健壮。
He has short, brown hair, but he's going bald fast.
他是棕色的短发,但是秃得很快。
He looks a bit like a younger version of Vin Diesel.He's really funny.
他看上去有点像年轻版的范·迪塞尔。他非常搞笑。
He likes making weird jokes, generally at the most inappropriate moment.
他一般喜欢在最不合适的时候开奇怪的玩笑。
However, he can be a little unreliable sometimes.
但是,他有时候会有点不靠谱。
He often 'forgets' to do things he promised he would.
他经常‘忘记’做他答应过要做的事。
I don't see him often, though we talk a couple of times a month.
我不经常跟他见面,不过我们一个月会聊好几次。
When we meet up, we like watching films or playing cards."
我们见面的时候喜欢看电影或打牌。”
This answer uses examples you've already seen.
这个回答用的是你已经看到过的例子。
Let's do one more longer answer with original examples.
我们用新例子来再写一个更长的回答。
"I'm going to tell you about a friend of mine, Sarah.
“我要向你介绍一下我的一个朋友,Sarah。
She's quite short and very slim, with light brown hair.
她个子很矮,身材非常苗条,头发是浅棕色的。
She's very pretty and she has a really nice smile.
她长得很漂亮,笑容非常好看。

njys18.png

Sarah's cheerful and fun to be around, and she's also very straightforward: you know who she is right away, it's easy to feel comfortable around her.

Sarah 很欢快,待在她身边很有趣,她还很直爽,你马上就能知道她是个怎样的人,在她身边很容易就会觉得舒服。
I've known her for about twelve years now, since university.
我大学时认识的她,现在已经大概十二年了。
We get on well because we have a similar attitude to life and we always have lots to talk about."
我们相处得很融洽,因为我们有着相似的生活态度,而且我们总是有很多可聊的内容。
Okay, now it's your turn!Make a longer answer to describe someone you know.
好了,现在轮到你了!写个较长的回答来描述你认识的人。
Use the examples and language from this lesson to help you.
用这节课学的例子和语言来帮助你。
If you want, you can post your answer in the video comments and we'll give you feedback.
你愿意的话可以把你的答案发到视频的评论区,我们会给你反馈的。
That's the end of the lesson, I hope it was useful for you!
这节课到此就结束了,希望对你有帮助!
Don't forget to check out more of our free English lessons on our website: oxfordonlineenglish. com.See you next time!
不要忘了上我们的网站 oxfordonlineenglish. com 查阅更多的免费课程。下次见!

重点单词   查看全部解释    
negative ['negətiv]

想一想再看

adj. 否定的,负的,消极的
n. 底片,负

联想记忆
entertaining [entə'teiniŋ]

想一想再看

adj. 引起乐趣的,娱乐性的,令人愉快的 n. 招待,

 
original [ə'ridʒənl]

想一想再看

adj. 最初的,原始的,有独创性的,原版的

联想记忆
inappropriate [.inə'prəupriit]

想一想再看

adj. 不适当的,不相称的

联想记忆
straightforward [streit'fɔ:wəd]

想一想再看

adj. 笔直的,率直的

 
unreliable ['ʌnri'laiəbl]

想一想再看

adj. 不可靠的

 
characteristics [,kærəktə'ristiks]

想一想再看

n. 特性,特征;特质;特色(characteristi

 
acting ['æktiŋ]

想一想再看

n. 演戏,行为,假装 adj. 代理的,临时的,供演出

 
context ['kɔntekst]

想一想再看

n. 上下文,环境,背景

联想记忆
optimistic [.ɔpti'mistik]

想一想再看

adj. 乐观的,乐观主义的

 

    阅读本文的人还阅读了:
  • 谈论你的工作 2017-12-05
  • 如何像英语母语者一样使用模糊用语 2017-12-06
  • 如何讨论天气 2017-12-08
  • 如何谈论电影 2017-12-09
  • 如何挑起话题 2017-12-10
  • 上一篇:谈论你的工作
    下一篇:如何讨论天气
    发布评论我来说2句

      最新文章

      可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

      每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

      添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
      添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。