手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED演讲视频 > 正文

印度当地回收者如何解决塑料污染问题

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Say no to plastic. The one thing that all environmental warriors teach us.

对塑料说不。这是所有环保战士教我们的。
But we begin and end the day with products that have been made from this virtually indestructible material.
但是我们几乎每时每刻都在使用由这个几乎坚不可摧的材料制成的众多产品。
The truth is that our consumption and disposal of plastic has reached such unsustainable proportions
真相是,我们对塑料的使用和处置已经达到了一个难以为继的地步,
that we need to address this using every idea and resource at hand.
以至于我们需要利用身边一切资源和每个想法,去解决这个问题。
Please welcome someone who's helping solve India's waste management issues, Mani Vajipey, recycler and cofounder/CEO of Banyan Nation.
接下来有请帮助解决印度废品管理问题的玛尼·瓦吉培,他是一位资源回收人,也是Banyan Nation公司的共同创始人兼CEO。
If recycling were an Olympic sport, India would win the gold medal.
如果回收利用是一个奥林匹克运动项目,印度将会摘取金牌。
India has one of the highest rates of plastic recycling and recovery in the entire world.
印度是全球塑料回收利用率最高的国家之一。
Higher than the likes of Singapore, countries in North America and even countries in Europe.
比新加坡、北美国家,甚至一些欧洲国家都要高。
India recovers and recycles over 60 percent of its plastic waste,
印度回收利用的塑料废品超过60%,
whereas a developed country, like United States, manages just about 10 percent.
而一些发达国家,譬如美国,勉强才到10%。
This high rate of collection is largely possible thanks to the millions of informal recyclers,
这一极高的回收率大多要归功于上百万的非正式资源回收者,
the kabadiwalas, the bhandiwallas and the raddiwalas that we find at every street corner across every city in India.
那些在印度的每个城市、每个街角的kabadiwalas,bhandiwallas,以及raddiwalas(印度垃圾分拣工,废品回收者)。
And yet, in spite of such a ubiquitous, extensive and intricate network of recyclers,
但是,不论回收者的网络有多普遍广阔、有多错综复杂,
India's national scenery is dominated by filth and squalor.
印度的国家风景区依旧被垃圾占领,环境脏乱。
And the general perception is that we don't recycle our plastics.
人们的普遍感受是:我们没有回收利用我们的塑料。
The other thing about plastics in India is that
在印度,关于塑料的另一个现实是,
any product made from recycled plastic is considered to be substandard and we expect it to be cheaper as well.
任何再生塑料的制成品都被看作是低于常规标准的产品,并且我们期望这些产品售价更低。
What we don't realize is there are several types of plastics in their virgin and pure form, if recycled scientifically,
我们没有意识到的是,有一些纯净的原生塑料,如果能被科学的回收利用,
can be recycled several times over without any compromise in quality.
它们可以被循环使用好几轮且质量丝毫不打折扣。
If we can recover and reuse our discarded plastic,
如果我们可以回收再利用被我们丢弃的塑料,
then we save a significant amount of virgin plastic that we would have otherwise produced and consumed.
那我们就可以节省很多原本需要额外生产和使用的原生塑料。
And this is very important, because virgin plastic is made from fossil fuels that are an exhaustible resource.
这一点非常重要,因为原生塑料是由不可再生的化石燃料制成的。
The more virgin plastic we produce and consume, the more plastic waste we have to manage.
我们生产并使用的原生塑料越多,就意味着我们需要处理的塑料废品越多。
Mismanagement of plastic waste leads to the leakage of such materials into our water bodies.
塑料废品的处理不当会导致这些材料泄漏于水体。
It's now common knowledge that by the year 2050 we'll have more plastics in our oceans than fish.
现在众所周知的是:到2050年,我们的海洋中塑料的数量会超过鱼的数量。
About seven years ago, my friend and cofounder Raj and I, we decided that we were going to focus on solving this massive problem.
大约在7年前,我和我的朋友兼共同创始人拉吉决定着重解决这个大问题。
We went around the city of Hyderabad, talking to local recyclers.
我们走访了海得拉巴市,和当地的回收者交谈。
Very soon, we found out that there were many recyclers just in Hyderabad alone.
很快,我们发现仅在海得拉巴就有很多回收者。
We soon realized that the plastic recycling industry of today is not very different from the milk industry of the '60s and '70s.
我们在不久后也意识到,今天的塑料回收行业和60、70年代的牛奶行业大同小异。
Milk in India is produced by marginal milk farmers, with two or three cows or buffalos, who produce five to ten liters of milk a day.
印度的牛奶是由只拥有两三头奶牛或水牛的小奶农们生产的,他们每天能生产5-10升牛奶。
Instead of blindly aping solutions from the West, India championed the milk cooperative model,
相比盲目效仿西方的解决方案,印度选择了这种牛奶合作模式,
where thousands of such small-scale recyclers were brought together into groups.
数千个小规模回收者聚集在一起形成团体。
With scale came innovations and investments.
这种规模也带来了创新和投资。
India was transformed from a milk-deficit nation to the world's leading exporter and producer of milk.
于是印度从一个牛奶短缺的国家,转变为一个世界领先的牛奶生产国和出口国。
It dawned upon us that India had in the past solved much larger problems, like milk deficiency.
于是我们逐渐意识到,印度曾成功解决了更大的问题,如牛奶短缺问题。
We only need to look back to our past to find inspiration
我们只需要回顾过去,找寻灵感,
in solving what is perhaps the most fundamental issue of our times, that is plastic pollution.
来解决我们这个时代或许可能是最基本的问题,即塑料污染。
But before we could do this, or before brands could use recycled plastic, we had to solve two things. Quality and scale.
但是在我们着手此事之前,或在那些品牌们可以使用回收利用塑料之前,我们需要解决两件事,品质和规模。
For us, to make a shampoo bottle from discarded plastics, we had to collect tens of thousands of tons of discarded plastics.
对我们来说,为使用废弃塑料制作一个洗发水瓶,我们需要收集数万吨被丢弃的塑料。
For that, we needed data. Raj and I built a simple data intelligence platform
为此,我们需要数据。拉吉和我建立了一个简单的数据情报平台,
that allowed us to map all the recyclers, giving us a bird's eye view of every recycler in Hyderabad.
该平台允许我们在地图上定位所有回收者,让我们鸟瞰海得拉巴的每一个回收者。
The results were astounding. There were 2,000 kabadiwalas just in Hyderabad alone.
结果非常惊人。仅在海得拉巴就有2千名的垃圾分拣工。

印度当地回收者如何解决塑料污染问题

That means, for every square kilometer, there were four kabadiwalas or informal recyclers.

这说明每平方千米就有4名垃圾分拣工或非正式回收者。
No developed country or city in the entire world has the luxury of such a brilliant collection system.
整个世界没有一个发达国家或城市有幸拥有如此出色的收集系统。
Once we had the data, the rest was fairly straightforward.
一旦我们有了数据,剩下的就非常直截了当了。
We started trading with the informal recyclers,
我们开始和非正式回收者进行交易,
we started training them to segregate the materials based on our quality specifications.
我们开始培训他们如何基于我们质量指标进行材料分类。
In the past five years, we've developed several clusters across South India,
在过去的5年,我们在南印度已经发展了几个这样的团体,
comprising of thousands of such informal recyclers, who interact with us both directly and digitally.
其中包含上千名与我们直接和远程互动的非正式回收者。
In parallel, we began working on the problem of quality and purity of material.
同时,我们开始着手解决材料的质量和纯度问题。
So in the past five years, we developed a proprietary cleaning technology that allows us to eliminate all contaminants.
在过去的5年里,我们开发了清洁专利技术,该技术允许我们消灭材料上的所有污染物。
Today, Banyan's recycled granules have undergone stringent quality testing
今天,Banyan回收的塑料颗粒都已通过严格的质量测试,
and have been certified by top global FMCG and automotive companies.
并且被全球顶级快速消费品(FMCG)和汽车公司授予证书。
In the next few months, tens of thousands of discarded plastics collected through informal recycler networks
在接下来的几个月,经由非正式回收者收集的上万的废弃塑料,
will be converted into high-quality granules and sent away to brands and large companies
将会被再生为高品质塑料颗粒,并送往各个品牌和大型企业
to make bottles for engine-oil packaging, for shampoo bottles and for lotions.
来制造机油的外包装瓶、洗发水瓶,还有乳液瓶。
In the next three years, we expect that over 500 million such bottles will be made from our recycled plastics.
在未来三年,我们预期,利用回收的塑料可以制造超过5亿这样的瓶子。
But this is just the beginning. In the next five years,
但这只是开始。在未来五年,
we aspire to build an India where 100 percent of discarded plastics are recycled and repurposed scientifically
我们致力于打造一个有能力100%科学地回收并改造废弃塑料的印度,
where plastic waste no longer threatens our water bodies, and the very survival of our terrestrial and marine life.
在那里,塑料废品不再威胁我们的水体,以及我们陆地和海洋生物的生存。
So the next time you go to a store and pick up a shampoo bottle, see if that bottle uses safe and sustainable recycled plastic.
所以下次你去超市的时候,拿起一瓶洗发水,看看那个瓶子是不是由安全可持续的再生塑料制成的。
That's not only just going to help the Earth but also reward the street corner recycler for his all-important work.
这不仅只是为了帮助地球,也是在奖赏那些街角回收者所做的一切重要的工作。
Now that will compel brands to use more and more recycled plastic for their mainstream products and applications.
这将会迫使品牌们在他们的主流产品和应用上使用更多的再生塑料。
Our tradition and our culture has a lot of ancient wisdom.
我们的传统和文化蕴含着很多古老的智慧。
Let's not destroy the only planet we have. The only home we have. Thank you.
我们千万不要破坏地球,我们唯一的家。谢谢。
Thank you, Mani. When I was young, I used to...
谢谢,玛尼。我年轻时,我曾经...
How little do we know sometimes that we are, as a nation, the biggest recycler of plastics and waste,
我们几乎都不知道,我们这个国家是最大的塑料和废弃物品的回收利用者,
if not just plastic, and we didn't know this about our own country.
不仅是塑料,我们国人竟然自己都不知道。
May I say something really cool?
我可以说件很酷的事吗?
Cities like New York and Paris today are looking to put out reverse vending machines
今天像纽约和巴黎这样的城市正想要投放反向自动贩卖机,
so that people can go and put trash in that and then they can get some cash.
就是让人们把垃圾放进去,以换取现金的机器。
For the past several decades, the entire country and the kabadiwalas, and the bhandiwallas, we have been doing that.
在过去的几十年里,我们整个国家以及垃圾分拣者,还有废品回收者,我们一直在做这件事。
I'm very positive that in three to five years, you'll wake up, you know that the plastic is being recycled,
我很确信,在3-5年内,你会发现塑料正被回收,
you're going to pick up a packaging, you know that the package actually has a mark that uses recycled plastics,
你去取包裹时,就知道包裹上会有一个标识:使用再生塑料,
so I'm super optimistic about this. Even as an entrepreneur.
我对这抱有非常积极的态度,即使作为一名企业家。
When I see a youngster do what he has done and achieved,
当我看到一个年轻人在做事并获得成就时,
I want that part to also be a source of encouragement for people to take over.
我希望这也能成为鼓舞他人继续传承的力量。
So tell me, are you making a lot of money?
那么告诉我,你能挣很多钱吗?
What's so brilliant about plastic recycling now is it's an idea whose time has come.
塑料循环当前如此夺目的原因是这是一个时机已到的想法。
And we're very fortunate to have signed a really big, multimillion-dollar contract with some of the top FMCG companies.
我们很幸运地已经与一些顶级快速消费品公司(FMCG)签署了一个几百万美金的合同。
So we are at the inflection point in India. And...
所以在印度,我们正处于转折点。而且...
Tell us the money, money, money, Mani.
玛尼,告诉我们,究竟多少钱?
Give the figure, it will encourage people, it's not for greed, it's not for any of the reasons ...
给个数字,这能鼓励大家,不是出于贪婪,不为任何原因...
Say to them. They are making good money, yeah.
告诉他们。做这个能赚不少钱,没错。
For us, to build these systems in place, we need investors who will back us to develop...
对我们来说,为了开发和部署这些系统,我们需要投资人来支持我们开发...
You have to be like Mani that I'm asking, "How much you're making?" he's already making it off me.
你们得学学玛尼,我问“你赚多少钱?”他已经在利用我赚钱了。
But I may look stupid, but I'm not. I totally and completely believe in the concept of recycling plastic,
我可能看着傻,但我并不傻。我完完全全相信回收塑料的概念,
and I'm going to help Mani with my first investment
而且我将用自己的第一笔投资来帮助玛尼,
that all the plastic bottles that we have at shootings, in every shooting of mine,
这些在我们拍摄现场的所有塑料瓶,以及我每一个拍摄现场的塑料瓶,
I'm going to send it to his company to recycle, starting from these four. Thank you very much, Mani.
我都会把它们送到玛尼的公司去回收再利用,从这四个开始。非常感谢,玛尼。
Thank you so much. Big round of applause for Mani.
非常感谢。热烈掌声给予玛尼。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
informal [in'fɔ:məl]

想一想再看

adj. 非正式的,不拘形式的

 
stringent ['strindʒənt]

想一想再看

adj. 严格的,(银根)紧缩的,变紧的

联想记忆
solve [sɔlv]

想一想再看

v. 解决,解答

 
scenery ['si:nəri]

想一想再看

n. 布景,风景,背景

 
marginal ['mɑ:dʒinəl]

想一想再看

adj. 边际的,末端的,仅以微弱多数获胜的,微小的

 
recovery [ri'kʌvəri]

想一想再看

n. 恢复,复原,痊愈

 
parallel ['pærəlel]

想一想再看

adj. 平行的,相同的,类似的,并联的
n.

联想记忆
fortunate ['fɔ:tʃənit]

想一想再看

adj. 幸运的,侥幸的

联想记忆
intelligence [in'telidʒəns]

想一想再看

n. 理解力,智力
n. 情报,情报工作,情报

联想记忆
spite [spait]

想一想再看

n. 恶意,怨恨
vt. 刁难,伤害

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。