手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED演讲视频 > 正文

被GDP忽视的无偿劳动 以及它为何重要

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

As you've heard, when I was very young, I was elected to the New Zealand Parliament.

正如各位听说过的,我在很年轻的时候就被选举进入新西兰议会。
And at that age, you learn mostly by listening to others' stories.
在那个年纪,你大多数时候都通过聆听他人的故事学习。
I remember a woman who'd been injured in a farm accident, and it was coming up to shearing time on the farm,
我记得一位在农场事故中受伤的女性,那时候快到了农场剪羊毛的时节,
and she had to be replaced by a shepherd, by a rousie in the woolshed,
于是她不得不由一位牧羊人,由一位剪毛棚里的杂工取代,
and of course there was still someone needed to manage the household and to prepare the food for the shearing gangs.
当然了,还需要有人管理家庭起居,并为剪羊毛的伙计们准备食物。
And her mother came to help with that.
她的母亲过来帮忙了。
But the family got no compensation for the mother, because that's what mothers and family members are supposed to do.
但是这家人并没有给这位母亲报酬,因为这是母亲和家庭成员理所应当做的。
One year, a company called Gold Mines New Zealand applied for a prospecting license on our beautiful Mt. Pirongia.
有一年,一个叫做“新西兰金矿”的公司申请了在我们美丽的皮隆亚山上进行勘探的许可证。
It is a mountain full of extraordinary ecosystems, of verdant, virgin native forests.
这座山拥有非凡的生态系统,葱郁的原始森林。
It produced oxygen, it was a carbon sink,
它制造氧气,它是天然碳汇,
it was a home for endangered species and for pollinating species in the farmland around.
它是濒危物种以及周围农田的传粉物种的家园。
And the mining company put up this great economic prospectus that was about how much money could be made from mining our mountain,
而采矿公司公布的这份出色的经济计划书,讲的全是开采我们的山能够赚到多少钱,
about all the growth and development that would show in New Zealand's budgetary forecasts,
能够为新西兰的财政预算带来多少增长与发展,
and we were just left with the language of all that we valued about our mountain. Fortunately, we stopped.
而只留给了我们关于我们所珍视的山的语言。所幸的是,他们及时停手了。
And then I remembered a woman who had three children under five who was caring for her elderly parents,
然后我又记起了一位既要抚养三个不到五岁的孩子,又要照顾年迈双亲的女性,
and nobody seemed to think that at some stage she might actually need some assistance with childcare,
似乎没人考虑过,在某个阶段她可能需要育儿方面的帮助,
because she wasn't in the paid workforce.
因为她不属于有偿的劳动力。
And there began to be a pattern in all of these stories I was being told.
在我听说的这些故事中渐渐浮现出某种规律。
And I started to ask enough questions to try and track to the core of this pattern of values that was part of all of these stories.
于是我开始问各种问题,试图追溯到在这些故事中均有所体现的这种价值规律的核心。
And I found it in an economic formula called the "gross domestic product," or the GDP.
我在一个被称为“国内生产总值”,或者GDP的经济学公式中找到了它。
Most of you will have heard of it. Many of you won't have any idea what it actually means.
你们大部分人应该听说过这个词。你们很多人可能完全不明白这个词到底是什么意思。
The rules were drawn up by Western-educated men in 1953.
规则是在1953年由接受了西方教育的男人们制订的。
They established a boundary of production in drawing up these rules.
他们在制订这些规则时,建立起了生产范畴的界线。
What they were keen to measure was everything that involved a market transaction.
他们热衷衡量的是涉及到市场交换的一切。
So on one side of the boundary, everything where there was a market exchange was counted.
于是在界线的一侧,所有包含了市场交换的行为都计算在内。
It doesn't matter whether the exchange is legal or illegal.
不管该交换是否合法。
Market exchange in the illegal trade in armaments, drugs, endangered species, trafficking of people
非法贸易中的市场交换,包括走私军火弹药、毒品、濒危物种、贩卖人口,
all of this is great for growth and it all counts.
这些对于经济增长都很好,都可以计算在内。
On the other side of the boundary of production, there was this extraordinary phrase in the rules
在生产范畴的另一侧,在规则中有这么一句神奇的话,
that the work done by the people they called "nonprimary producers" was "of little or no value."
说是被他们称作“非主要生产者”的人完成的工作是“价值很小或毫无价值的”。
So I thought, let's see how many nonprimary producers we have here today.
于是我就想,让我们看看今天在座有多少非主要生产者吧。
So in the last week or so, how many of you have transported members of your household or their goods without payment?
在上个星期之内,你们有多少人曾经无偿运送过你的家庭成员或他们的物品?
How many of you have done a bit of cleaning, a bit of vacuuming, a bit of sweeping, a bit of tidying up the kitchen? Yeah?
你们有多少人搞过一点卫生,吸过一点尘,扫过一点地,清理了一下厨房?嗯?
How about going shopping for members of the household? Preparing food? Cleaning up afterwards? Laundry? Ironing?
那么为家庭成员购物呢?准备食物?餐后收拾?洗衣物?熨衣服?
Well, as far as economics is concerned, you were at leisure.
而就经济学而言,你们都是逍遥自在的无产出者。
Now, how about the women who have been pregnant and who have had children? Yes.
那么,有哪些女士曾经怀孕、生过孩子?好的。
Now, I really hate to tell you this,
我实在不愿意这么告诉你们,
because it might well have been hard labor, but at that moment, you were unproductive.
因为你的生产过程可能很艰难,但在那一刻,你毫无生产性。
And some of you may have breastfed your infant.
另外你们中有些人可能母乳哺育过你的婴儿。
Now, in the New Zealand national accounts -- that's what the figures are called, that's where we get the GDP
在新西兰的国民经济核算里--这是那些数额的名字,也是GDP的来源,
in the New Zealand national accounts, the milk of buffalo, goats, sheep and cows is of value but not human breast milk.
在新西兰的国民经济核算里,水牛奶、山羊奶、绵羊奶和牛奶都有价值,但是人类母乳并没有价值。
It is the very best food on the planet.
这是地球上最好的食物。
It is the very best investment that we can make in the future health and education of that child.
这是我们能为那个孩子未来的健康与教育做出的最好投资。
It doesn't count at all. All of those activities are on the wrong side of the production boundary.
但它完全不算数。所有这些活动都在生产范畴错误的一侧。
And something that's very important to know about this accounting framework:
关于这个会计制度需要清楚很重要的一件事:
they call it "accounts," but there's no debit side.
它叫做“(会计)核算”,但并没有“借方”一栏。
We just keep market exchanges going, and it's all good for growth.
我们只需让市场交换继续下去,一切都对经济增长有好处。
We're in Christchurch, where people have lived through a devastating natural disaster and recovered.
我们身处基督城,这里的居民刚刚撑过一场毁灭性的自然灾害,并重振旗鼓。
And ever since that time, New Zealand has been told our growth figures are great, because we're rebuilding Christchurch.
自从那时开始,新西兰的人民就被告知我们的经济增长数字很棒,因为我们在重建基督城。
Nothing was ever lost from the national accounting framework
国民经济会计制度里不曾有过任何损失,
because of the loss of lives, the loss of land, the loss of buildings, the loss of special spaces.
哪怕我们失去了生命,失去了土地,失去了建筑,失去了特别的场所。
Now, it might also be becoming obvious to you that this boundary of production works in terms of our environment.
你们或许已经注意到这个生产范畴对我们的环境也是同理。
When we're mining it, when we're deforesting, when we're deleting our environment,
当我们开采矿物,当我们砍伐森林,当我们抛弃环境,
when we're fishing out our marine resources, legal or illegal, as long as market is exchanged, it's all good for growth.
当我们以合法或非法的途径捕捞我们的海洋资源,只要市场上发生交换,一切对增长都好。
To leave our natural environment alone, to sustain it, to protect it, is apparently worth nothing.
让我们的自然环境保持原样、维持它、保护它,显然是一文不值的。
Now, how and what can we do about this?
那么,我们对此能做什么,又该怎么做?
Well, I wrote first about it 30 years ago.
我在三十年前就第一次写过这个话题。
Then in 2008, after the global financial crisis,
然后在2008年,在全球金融危机之后,
President Sarkozy of France asked three men who had all won Nobel Prizes in Economics -- Sen, Fitoussi and Stiglitz
法国总统萨科齐请求三位曾荣获诺贝尔经济学奖的男人--森,菲图西和斯蒂格利茨,
to discover what I'd written about 30 years ago.
去发现我早在三十年前就论述过的东西。

被GDP忽视的无偿劳动 以及它为何重要

"Relying on per capita GDP, relying on these growth figures," they said,

他们说:“依靠人均GDP,依靠这些增长数字,
"doesn't appear to be the best way to proceed to make public policy." And I totally agree with them.
看上去并不是制定公共政策的最佳标准。”我完全赞同他们的结论。
One of the things that you notice about these rules -- they are revised; 1968 they were revised, 1993, 2008
关于这些规则,值得注意的是,它们被修订过--1968年,它们被修订过,1993年,2008年,
is that the revisions are mostly done by statisticians,
这些修订多数由统计学家进行,
and the statisticians do know what is wrong with the data,
统计学家们的确知道数据有什么问题,
but hardly any of the economists ever stop to ask that same question.
但是几乎没有经济学家曾停下来问同样的问题。
So, in 2019, the GDP is in even worse shape.
于是,在2019年,GDP的现状变得更加糟糕。
You see, to measure GDP, you have to assume that some kind of production or service delivery or consumption
为了测量GDP,你不得不假设某种生产或服务提供或消费
occurs inside a nation-state, and you know where that is.
是发生在一个国家里的,并且你知道这个国家在哪里。
But trillions of dollars are circling the globe, in many part from our Googles, our Facebooks, our Twitters,
但来自我们的谷歌、Facebook和推特账号的点点滴滴,构成了在全球周转的数万亿美元,
siphoned through a number of tax shelters, so that when we click on our computer and go to download some software,
这些钱通过无数个避税所,从而使得我们在电脑上点击鼠标下载某个软件时,
we don't know where it was produced, and frankly, no one knows where we are as we're consuming it, either.
我们并不知道它由哪里生产,而且说实在的,也没有人知道我们是在何处消费它的。
These tax-free havens distort the GDP to such an extent that about three years ago,
这些免税天堂让GDP发生了严重的扭曲,以至于约三年前,
Europe looked askance at Ireland and said, "We don't think you're reporting correctly,"
欧盟斜眼看着爱尔兰,说:“我们觉得你没有如实汇报,”
and in the next year, their GDP went up 35 percent.
第二年,他们的GDP就增长了35%。
Now, all that work that you're doing when you were at leisure and unproductive, we can measure this,
我们可以测量你在逍遥散漫、无所事事时做的所有工作,
and we can measure this in time use surveys.
通过“时间利用”调查。
When we look at the amount of time that's taken in the unpaid sector,
我们研究无偿劳动所占去的时间时,
what we find is that in almost every country where I've ever seen the data,
我们发现在几乎每一个提供了数据的国家中,
it is the single largest sector of the nation's economy.
无偿劳动都是那个国家经济的最大单一部门。
In the last three years, for example, the UK statistician has declared that
比如说,在过去三年内,英国统计学家宣称,
all of that unpaid work is the equivalent of all manufacturing and all retailing in the UK.
英国的全部无偿劳动等价于制造业和零售业的总和。
In Australia, the single largest sector of Australia's economy is unpaid childcare,
在澳大利亚的经济中,最大的单一部门是无偿儿童保育,
and the second-largest sector is all the rest of the unpaid work,
而第二大的部门是剩余的所有无偿劳动,
before banking and insurance and financial intermediation services clock in at the largest part of the market sector.
排在占去市场部门最大头的银行、保险以及金融中介服务之前。
Just last year, the Premier of the Victoria state of Australia declared that
就在去年,澳大利亚维多利亚州州长宣布,
half of that state's GDP was, in fact, the value of all the unpaid work.
该州GDP的一半事实上等同于所有无偿劳动的价值。
Now, as a policy maker, you cannot make good policy if the single largest sector of your nation's economy is not visible.
作为政策制定者,你不可能在国家经济最大的单一部门被隐形的情况下制订出优秀的政策。
You can't presume to know where the needs are. You can't locate time poverty.
你不能假定自己知道大众的需求在哪里。你无法定位时间匮乏的地方。
You can't address the most critical issues of need.
你无法解决最为迫切的需求。
So what can go in the place of GDP? Well, GDP has got many other problems, OK?
那么什么指标能够取代GDP?GDP还有很多别的问题。
We don't behave in a way that assists GDP.
我们的行为方式并不支持GDP。
Large numbers of people around the planet are now using household assets
现在全球有很多人正在使用他们的家庭资产,
their cars, their homes, themselves -- for Uber, for Airbnb.
他们的车、房子、他们自身,提供优步和爱彼迎服务。
And no, we're not supposed to use assets from the unpaid sector to make money in the market sector. This is confusing!
不对,我们理应不能使用无偿劳动部门的资产在市场部门赚钱。这实在是太混乱了!
And very difficult to measure.
并且也很难测量。
So economists don't want to know what's wrong with their most important GDP, and I think they've got so many problems,
经济学家们并不想知道他们最重要的GDP出了什么问题,而且我觉得他们的课题那么多,
they can just move off to a quiet corner and continue to publish that and not come anywhere near the rest of us
他们应该乖乖挪到一个安静的角落继续发表那些论文,而不要靠近我们其他人哪怕一步,
with this talk of capitals and natural assets and other ways in which to colonize the rest of our lives.
带着资本和自然资产的言论以及其它用来殖民我们剩余人生的手段。
I think time use is the most important indicator going forward.
我觉得以后最重要的指标是时间利用。
Every one of us has exactly the same amount of it.
我们每一个人都有完全等量的时间。
If there are going to be critical issues as we move forward, we need a solid database,
如果要说在未来会有什么至关重要的议题,我们需要一个牢靠的数据库,
because whatever we change away from the GDP, we're going to be stuck with it for about 50 years,
因为不管我们把GDP换成什么,我们都将和它共处近50年,
and we need something that's solid and immutable and that everybody understands,
于是我们需要某样坚实不变的、所有人都能理解的东西,
because if I put time use data in front of you, you'll immediately start nodding.
因为如果我把时间利用数据摆在你面前,你会马上开始点头。
You'll immediately start recognizing what it means.
你会马上开始认识到它意味着什么。
And, honestly, if I put the GDP data in front of you, a lot of you would prefer to leave for morning tea.
另外,说实话,如果我把GDP数据摆在你的面前,你们很多人大概宁可离席去喝茶。
We also need to be looking at the quality of our environment.
我们还需要监控我们的环境质量。
As every year goes past, we get much better at measuring the devastation of it,
随着时间一年年过去,我们变得更加善于衡量它受到的破坏,
of measuring how little we protect anymore.
衡量我们还在保护的东西变得多么稀少。
And yet, with climate change, we don't all have to be scientists to see,
然而,随着气候变化,我们即使不是科学家,也能看到、
to feel, to know what is happening to our beautiful planet.
感受到、知道我们美丽的星球正在遭受什么。
We need, in this country, the paramountcy of what we can learn from kaitiakitanga, from whanaungatanaga,
在这个国家里,我们需要能从kaitiakitanga(守护环境的职责)、从whanaungatanaga(家族的维系)、
from what Maori, who have been here for centuries, can teach us.
从在这里生活了许多世纪的毛利人那里学到的至高无上的准则。
When you're in parliament, and you're not in an economist's frame of mind, you make decisions across a range of data.
当你身在议会,并且没有经济学家的思维框架时,你会通过各种各样的数据做出决策。
You look at the trade-offs. You think deeply about implications way beyond whether or not GDP is up or down.
你会进行权衡考量。你会深深地思考远比GDP是涨是跌更加深远的涵义。
Economists want to turn everything into a monetary exchange, even time use data,
经济学家想把一切,甚至包括时间利用数据,变成金钱交换,
so that they can carry on trying to decide whether GDP is up or down. That's not a great way to go.
这样他们就能继续试图判断GDP是涨了还是跌了。这并不是很好的前进方式。
And others have said to me, "Marilyn, why don't you just work on a system
别人曾经对我说过,“玛丽琳,你为什么不干脆开发一个系统,
that includes all the unpaid work and the pregnancy and the birth and the lactation in the GDP?"
一个把所有无偿劳动、怀孕、生子、哺乳都包括在GDP里面的系统呢?”
There's a very important moral and ethical answer to that,
对此,我有一个很重要的伦理道德的回答,
and it is that I do not want the most valuable things on earth, the things I treasure,
那就是我并不想让这世界上最珍贵的东西,那些我珍视的事物,
sitting in an accounting framework that thinks that war is great for growth.
躺在一个认为战争有利于发展的会计制度里。
So from now on, whenever you listen to the news, you're not going to go blank when they say GDP.
那么从今以后,每当你听新闻时,在他们提到GDP时,你将不再头脑一片空白。
You're going to think, "I know what they're talking about, and it's not good."
你将会想到,“我知道他们在说什么,它并不是什么好东西。”
I know that there are alternatives, and I'm going to spend my time correcting people,
我知道有别的替代方法,我将花时间纠正人们,
talking to them about this value base and talking to them about what the alternatives can be,
跟他们讲述这个价值基础,并且告诉他们有什么替代方式,
because humankind and our planet need another way. Thank you.
因为人类与我们的地球需要别的衡量方式。谢谢大家。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
boundary ['baundri]

想一想再看

n. 分界线,边界

 
visible ['vizəbl]

想一想再看

adj. 可见的,看得见的
n. 可见物

 
exchange [iks'tʃeindʒ]

想一想再看

n. 交换,兑换,交易所
v. 交换,兑换,交

 
payment ['peimənt]

想一想再看

n. 支付,付款,报偿,报应

 
valuable ['væljuəbl]

想一想再看

adj. 贵重的,有价值的
n. (pl.)贵

联想记忆
extent [iks'tent]

想一想再看

n. 广度,宽度,长度,大小,范围,范围,程度

联想记忆
phrase [freiz]

想一想再看

n. 短语,习语,个人风格,乐句
vt. 措词

联想记忆
proceed [prə'si:d]

想一想再看

vi. 继续进行,开始,着手

联想记忆
counted [kaunt]

想一想再看

vt. 计算;认为 vi. 计数;有价值 n. 计数;计

 
disaster [di'zɑ:stə]

想一想再看

n. 灾难

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。