手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED演讲视频 > 正文

三种根除贪腐文化的方法

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Have you ever been robbed? Or had something you value forcibly taken from you against your will?

你被抢劫过吗?或者,有人强行夺走过你所珍视的东西吗?
It's violating. Feelings of fury, of assault and of helplessness. That's what corruption feels like.
这是一种侵犯。这让人感觉到气愤、羞辱、无能为力。这就是贪污腐败给人带来的感觉。
Corruption is theft. It is corrosive, it is criminal, it is toxic and it is predatory.
贪污就是盗窃。它是一种腐蚀,它是一种犯罪,它是一种鸠毒,它是一种掠夺。
Now, I'm from Kenya, and in Kenya, corruption takes different forms.
我来自肯尼亚,在肯尼亚,贪污腐败有很多种不同的形式。
I want to share the story of Karura Forest with you. This is my hometown of Nairobi.
我想与你们分享卡鲁拉森林的故事。这是我的家乡内罗毕。
I love Nairobi. It's beautiful. But it is a city of paradoxes.
我很爱内罗毕;它很美丽。但这也是一个充满矛盾的城市。
It is at once beautiful and challenging.
它很美丽,但也充满挑战。
But at the heart of this beautiful city that I call home is Karura Forest,
然而,在这个我称之为家乡的美丽城市的中心地带,是卡鲁拉森林。
an oasis of green, expansive beauty that would be the envy of any city anywhere.
这是一片令任何一个城市都会羡慕的广袤绿洲。
We almost lost Karura Forest to corruption.
我们差一点就因为贪污腐败而失去了卡鲁拉森林。
Word has reached my mother, Wangari Maathai, that Karura Forest is under attack.
卡鲁拉森林即将遭到毁坏的消息,传到了我的母亲旺加里·马泰的耳朵里。
There was a construction site coming up right in the middle of the forest.
在森林当中将会有一片建筑工地。
Government officials had stolen the forest.
政府官员窃取了森林。
They had divided, sold and gifted hundreds of parcels of Karura to their friends and cronies.
他们将卡鲁拉森林强行分割,并出售或赠送给了他们的亲朋好友。
Now in 1977, my mother founded the Green Belt Movement to plant trees across Kenya,
在1977年的时候,我的母亲创立了“绿带运动”,致力于在肯尼亚各地植树,
restore green spaces and protect green spaces, much like Karura Forest.
修复绿色空间,保护像卡鲁拉森林一样的绿色空间。
She got together her friends and allies,
她把朋友与同盟团结在一起,
and together, they created what became one of the most successful tree-planting campaigns in the world.
与他们一道创建了这个世界上最成功的植树运动之一。
It was therefore no surprise that when word got to her that Karura was under attack, they immediately sprang into action.
不出所料,当她听说卡鲁拉森林正遭受危机时,他们立即行动起来了。
They battled police and hired goons to stop the theft of this forest.
他们与警方和受雇的帮手抗争,阻止森林资源被盗窃。
But fortunately, there was an uprising of support from the clergy, politicians, students and the general public,
幸运的是,支持他们的力量日益强大,这股力量来自于牧师、政客、学生以及广大群众,
all of whom came out to say no to corruption and greed.
他们都站了出来,向腐败与贪婪说不。
And pretty soon, that support was too strong and intense for the authorities to subdue. And Karura Forest was saved.
没过多久,这股力量就强大到让当局屈服了。卡鲁拉森林得救了。
In the 2000s, I joined my mother in the Green Belt Movement
在2000年左右,我加入了母亲的绿带运动,
and witnessed the growth of the movement's advocacy activities, its expansion beyond Kenya
并见证了这个运动的宣传规模如何一步步扩大,在肯尼亚以外的扩展,
and an extremely important growing consensus around the 2004 Nobel Peace Prize that she received
以及一种围绕她于2004年获得的诺贝尔和平奖的重要共识,
that the environment, democracy and peace were inextricably linked.
即环境、民主与和平,三者密不可分。
I also learned that what my mother had faced that many years ago trying to protect Karura Forest was not an isolated incident.
同时我也意识到,我的母亲在那么多年前保护卡鲁拉森林时所面对的,并不是一个孤立的事件。
The corruption and greed that manifested itself then is alive and well today,
当时的政府展现出的腐败与贪婪,如今依旧盛行,
from greedy politicians and public servants willing to loot public coffers at their expense.
贪婪的政客与公务员能够为了一己私利去抢掠公库。
Corruption is everywhere. Now, corruption is devastating to any economy, democracy and the environment.
贪污腐败无处不在。贪污腐败对任何经济体、民主国家和环境都具有破坏性。
It robs citizens of vital social services and renders human life worthless.
它从公民身上夺走了至关重要的社会服务,使人们的生活失去价值。
When young men are willing to join gangs and brutalize their communities for a small fee,
当年轻人情愿加入帮派,为了一些蝇头小利施行暴力;
and women are raped on the way to work, and, when they report this, the perpetrators bribe their way out of jail,
当妇女因在上班途中被强暴而报案,施暴者却能通过贿赂免于牢狱之灾;
and when young girls have to sell their bodies to buy sanitary towels, you know the society is broken.
当年轻的姑娘们出卖身体,只为了有钱购买卫生巾时;你就知道,这个社会已经崩塌了。
In recent years, Kenya has been ranked amongst the top 10 most corrupt countries in the world.
近几年来,肯尼亚被评为世界上贪腐现象最严重的十大国家之一。
Even more frustrating for me is that Kenya loses a third of her national budget to corruption each year.
更令我沮丧的是,肯尼亚每年的国家预算有三分之一因为贪腐而流失。
That is six billion dollars. It is totally unacceptable.
金额达到60亿美金。这令人完全无法接受。

三种根除贪腐文化的方法

In a country where anti-corruption efforts have been frustrated and ignored and interfered with,

当这个国家的反腐举措令人沮丧、被人无视、甚至遭受阻挠时,
we absolutely need new strategies for dealing with this vice.
我们绝对需要新的策略来应对这个恶习。
We cannot complain forever. We either decide that we're going to live with it or we are going to change it.
我们不能永远只是抱怨。要么下定决心忍受它,要么就去改变它。
There's some good news. Human beings are not born corrupt.
当然也有一些好消息。人并非生来贪腐。
At some point, these behaviors are fostered by a culture that promotes individual gain over collective progress.
在某一个时间点,这些行为从个人利益高于集体进步的思想中滋生开来。
So if we're going to uproot corruption, we have got to start before it ever takes root. We have got to intervene early.
因此,如果我们要根除贪污腐败,就要在它扎根之前采取行动。我们需要尽早介入。
I don't know about your country, but where I come from, youth will lead us into the future.
我不知道你们的国家是怎样的,但是在我的国家,年轻人将带领我们走向未来。
In Kenya today, 80 percent of the population is under the age of 35.
如今的肯尼亚,80%的人口年龄在35岁以下。
But by their own admission, they have conflicting values.
但他们自己也承认,他们的价值观存在冲突。
Fifty-eight percent of young people in Kenya recently told us they will do anything to make money.
58%的肯尼亚青年最近告诉我们,他们为了挣钱什么都可以做。
An additional 45 percent said corruption is a legitimate tool for doing business.
另有45%的年轻人说,腐败是做生意的一种合法工具。
Seventy-three percent said they would not be willing to stand up for what they believe in for fear of retribution.
有73%的人说他们不愿意坚守自己的信念,因为害怕遭受报应。
What I learned from my mother a few years ago was this concept of "the power of one"
几年前,我从我的母亲那里学到了一个概念--“个体的力量”。
that each of us can be potent agents of change and that together, we are a force,
我们每个人都可以是变革的有力推动者,汇集在一起,就是一股强大的力量,
that if we put our hands together, we can change the situation and no problem is too big.
如果我们齐心协力,就可以改变现状,再大的问题都难不倒我们。
My mother understood this so profoundly that it was at the center of her work.
我的母亲非常深刻地意识到,这就是她工作的核心。
Shifting cultures takes patience, persistence and commitment, and it is extremely slow and deep work.
改变文化需要耐心、坚持以及承诺,这是一项极其缓慢且深入的工作。
But if we are going to shift a culture, we have got to get that work started.
但是如果我们想要改变文化,就必须行动起来。
And in the time since her passing, we have established a foundation in her name to do exactly that
自她去世以来,我们以她的名义建立了基金会,就是为了从事这项工作,
but to work with young people and children to begin to build character and personal leadership, to inspire purpose and integrity.
而且,我们召集了很多年轻人和儿童,帮助他们及早培养人格和领导力,激励他们塑造人生目标和气节。
But fighting corruption is not as easy as saying corruption is bad.
但是对抗腐败并不是简单地说腐败不好。
Now, here are three strategies that we are employing that we believe can be replicated in any school community.
我们采取了三种策略,我们认为这些在任何一个学校或社区都可以被复制。
First, we must understand the why: Why does corruption happen in the first place?
第一点,我们要理解“为什么”。为什么腐败的现象一开始会发生?
Do we call it for what it is -- theft -- or do we gloss over it with other words?
我们是应该直呼其名--盗窃,还是用其他的名称来掩饰这种行为?
When young children are able to model what it looks and feels like to deal with corruption,
当年幼的孩子可以模仿应对贪腐是什么样的行为和感受,
they are likely, when faced with a dilemma in their future, to model what they've been taught.
当他们将来遇到这样的困境时,就更有可能模仿自己被教授的内容。
Second, we need to teach character explicitly.
第二点,我们要明确地塑造优秀的人格品质。
Now, this may seem obvious, but a child who exhibits a growth mindset and a sense of self-control is self-confident.
这一点看上去显而易见,但一个表现出成长性思维和自控力的孩子,是自信的。
And a self-confident child is likely to stand up for what they believe.
而一个自信的孩子更有可能捍卫自己的信念。
Third, we need to build personal leadership in our children early
第三点,我们需要尽早培养孩子的个人领导力,
to give them an opportunity to know what it looks like to call corruption out when they see it,
让他们有机会明白,在看到贪腐现象时如何站出来,
what it feels like to stand up and be counted when they're needed and, for me,
当他们被需要时应该站出来,对我而言,
to make the more and most important connection between human suffering on one hand and corruption, greed and selfishness on the other.
要在人类的痛苦与腐败、贪婪和自私之间建立更多更重要的联系。
We have got to believe in our capacity to bring about the future we want to see, each of us in our small way.
我们要坚信,只要每个人都能尽一点微薄之力,我们就有能力实现我们所憧憬的未来。
Young people must believe that a new reality is possible.
年轻人要相信,一种新的现实是可能的。
Corruption, climate change, ecosystem collapse, biodiversity loss -- all these issues need leadership.
贪污腐败,气候变化,生态系统崩溃,生物多样性缺失--所有这些问题都需要领导力来解决。
And in the words of Baba Dioum of Senegal, "In the final analysis, we will conserve only what we love,
就像塞内加尔的巴巴·迪奥姆所说的那样,“归根结底,我们只会守我们所爱,
we will love only what we understand and we will understand only what we are taught." Thank you.
爱我们所知,知我们所学。”谢谢。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
greed [gri:d]

想一想再看

n. 贪心,贪婪

 
commitment [kə'mitmənt]

想一想再看

n. 承诺,保证; 确定,实行

联想记忆
inspire [in'spair]

想一想再看

vt. 影响,使 ... 感动,激发,煽动
v

联想记忆
willing ['wiliŋ]

想一想再看

adj. 愿意的,心甘情愿的

 
extremely [iks'tri:mli]

想一想再看

adv. 极其,非常

联想记忆
established [is'tæbliʃt]

想一想再看

adj. 已被确认的,确定的,建立的,制定的 动词est

 
consensus [kən'sensəs]

想一想再看

n. 共识,一致,合意
n. [生理]交感

联想记忆
subdue [səb'dju:]

想一想再看

v. 使服从,压制,减弱

联想记忆
expansion [iks'pænʃən]

想一想再看

n. 扩大,膨胀,扩充

联想记忆
retribution [.retri'bju:ʃən]

想一想再看

n. 报应,惩罚,报复,报偿

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。